Chevrolet Aveo - Good Or Bad ?

Mac1

I remember entire decades when Chevrolet (the American car) was the biggest selling make in the USA, perhaps even the world. They used ad campaigns equating it to Mother, the flag, and apple pie. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. My three Chevrolets, all based on the economy compact sedan, were great cars, but now they're just so American, so ergonomically ignorant. It's odd that a 100 year old name is the new kid on the block in Thailand. Are some Chevrolets here just rebadged Isuzus, Opels, Vauxhalls, Holdens, or Daewoos?

Hi :o

"Chevrolet" is a prime example of re-using of General Motors cars here. Take the "Chevrolet Lumina" - otherwise known as "Holden Calais". The "Chevrolet Optra" is the "Opel Astra". And the "Chevrolet Aveo" is the "Vauxhall Corsa", while the "Chevrolet Colorado" is an "Isuzu D-Max".

But works the other way round too - the german "Opel Frontera" is the re-badged "Isuzu Cameo" while the "Daewoo Fantasy" and "Daewoo Racer" are re-badged german "Opel Kadett E" (and that car originates in Germany!).

Oh, and the original "Holden Calais" (the old one) runs in Germany as "Opel Senator" :D

In my opinion good cars tough.

(and non-GM brands participate too! Isuzu's "Vertex" is a Honda Civic, and in exchange there's a "Honda Tourmaster" pickup which is an Isuzu... while in Germany you can buy a Volkswagen "Taro" pickup which is actually a Toyota "Hilux").

Best regards.....

Thanh

Is there an equivalent to the American journal Consumers Report? Any statistically sound organization in southeast Asia which gets reliable data from literally thousands upon thousands of actual owners and subjects it to rigourous scientific analysis? No, I didn't think so. That leaves us with rumour, hearsay, anecdotes, and innuendo.

My advice is to buy what you like, There are no bad cars or trucks here. If they were not good they would quickly be out of business. You hear all sorts of things about resale and quality but that is most likely prejudiced thinking. If you think there is a big difference between different brands, try to get a bargain buying a second hand late model car or truck. I am prejudiced too. The last lemon I owned was a Toyota and it indeed left a bad taste in my mouth.

I agree with Gary A. I've had bad luck with both the Toyotas I bought, and good luck with all three Chevrolets, even though the first two were Corvairs!! I got a Nissan NV last year, at a good price, because Thais seem to think (mistakenly) that a Nissan doesn't last forever. Well, even cold November rain doesn't last forever, according to Axl. I feel sure my Nissan will coast right past 200K km.

please please please .........

so many comments from NON owner of Aveo with all kinds of views ....

I'm looking for people here who already OWN a Chev Aveo, and can tell me if they recommend it, or not.

We all have different taste when it comes to cars and Women, so please keep to the topic, help me to decide to buy it or not.

Yes it's a small "tin box" or whatever, but then most cars are...

Remember VOLVO how hated that car was ("boxy" etc etc) decades ago, but it's still one of the safest cars .....

Any AVEO OWNERS here, who can share your experiences ?

Edited by Mac1

please please please .........

so many comments from NON owner of Aveo with all kinds of views ....

I'm looking for people here who already OWN a Chev Aveo, and can tell me if they recommend it, or not.

We all have different taste when it comes to cars and Women, so please keep to the topic, help me to decide to buy it or not.

Yes it's a small "tin box" or whatever, but then most cars are...

Remember VOLVO how hated that car was ("boxy" etc etc) decades ago, but it's still one of the safest cars .....

Any AVEO OWNERS here, who can share your experiences ?

Customer reviews of Chevrolet Aveo: http://www.carreview.com/cat/automobiles/m...77_1531crx.aspx

I worked in a very big rental company, and I cant forget when the track came with all the chevrolet cars stock . hehehe:)

really..its one of the most inferior car I have ever drove.

yes its working, if you search for a car from point A to B. great .

most of the cars will defeat the aveo on road behavior,noise,accelerating..

I took a test drive on the honda city auto (top model I have to say)..also better then aveo but not as good as toyota vios. really a great choice for the lower market. (start 500K+ for new).

go for it. what you stuck with aveo as its the only choice you have.

The only thing i can really say about the Aveo (as i only sat in one but didn't drive it) is that for taller people like myself it is somewhat uncomfortable. The space in the driver's seat is "just so" enough when the seat is in rear-most position - which in turn leaves zero leg room for anyone in the seat behind me. I'm not a giant but 193 tall (6ft 3in).

But then i have that problem with all of the smaller cars - i can't even get into a Vios from a start, the seat doesn't go far enough back.

Boxy Volvos? Any time.... i own a 460, and if it wouldn't keep breaking down (always the f***ing electronics! Zero mechanical problems!) i would love that car like no other. Comfortable for long distance rides, safe, good to drive........ but a gas guzzler too. Would convert to CNG but then... it keeps breaking down, hence i don't drive it often (motorbike daily, Volvo weekends) and it's not worth the 50+k for the conversion.

Best regards.....

Thanh

The only thing i can really say about the Aveo (as i only sat in one but didn't drive it) is that for taller people like myself it is somewhat uncomfortable. The space in the driver's seat is "just so" enough when the seat is in rear-most position - which in turn leaves zero leg room for anyone in the seat behind me. I'm not a giant but 193 tall (6ft 3in).

But then i have that problem with all of the smaller cars - i can't even get into a Vios from a start, the seat doesn't go far enough back.

Boxy Volvos? Any time.... i own a 460, and if it wouldn't keep breaking down (always the f***ing electronics! Zero mechanical problems!) i would love that car like no other. Comfortable for long distance rides, safe, good to drive........ but a gas guzzler too. Would convert to CNG but then... it keeps breaking down, hence i don't drive it often (motorbike daily, Volvo weekends) and it's not worth the 50+k for the conversion.

Best regards.....

Thanh

I am also 6ft 3in and some 130kg !!! there plenty of room in my Honda Jazz... For me the problem with the Aveo is it is a car not a hatchback so for that reason only would not look at it

Best regards.....

Thanh

Why not LPG instead of CNG ? Conversion under 20K, and you can drive more than 100km between fill-ups. I've seen 460's with the Toyota 4A (1.6) engine. For 50K you could put a Toyota engine in, rewire the whole thing and convert to LPG.

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion.... but unfortunately the car just isn't worth it anymore. I bought it for 300.000 in 2002, now if i would sell it to a dealer i would probably get 80.000.... no way i am plunging another 50.000 in there for any type of conversion, engine or otherwise.

The things that keep breaking are ALWAYS electronic - ignition, injection, air condition and starter particular, the engine itself, at 140.000 kilometers, still runs like a fine swiss clockwork.

Currently me and my boyfriend are actually considering getting a pickup truck..... but he wants something "modern" (D-Max, Vigo etc) while i am all for a very old one (Cyclone, Big M, Mighty X)..... the less electronics, the better. I hate any form of electronics in vehicles that, if broken, makes the vehicle not run.

Best regards.....

Thanh