Cgt In Nz?

Hi all,

As many of you know, I and my wife are resident here in Thailand.

My wife invested in a private NZ pharmacutical company in 2001. This shareholding has just been liquidated, and she has made a capital gain on the investment.

From searching the internet, NZ doesn't appear to have a caplital gain tax, but I'm wondering (if any kiwi's are out there), is there any other taxes that the NZ government are likely to be applied from the profit she has made from this type of investment.

Believe it or not it is one of the things driving the investment in NZ at the moment. You can invest there and take your money out of the country relatively easily. It has caused an investment boom. A mate of mine has some land there as speculation and is very happy how easy it is to do things.

This could an idea for other countries. :o Less problems for investors gets investors at all levels, and creates a strong economy and currency.

BTW you could always move the money to OZ it is almost part of the same country.

Hi all,

As many of you know, I and my wife are resident here in Thailand.

My wife invested in a private NZ pharmacutical company in 2001. This shareholding has just been liquidated, and she has made a capital gain on the investment.

From searching the internet, NZ doesn't appear to have a caplital gain tax, but I'm wondering (if any kiwi's are out there), is there any other taxes that the NZ government are likely to be applied from the profit she has made from this type of investment.

zero CPT. case in point....wife and I (both kiwis) sold a house a while back for a 6 figure sum profit. zero tax on the profits of the sale (but we did pay tax on the rental income when we owned it)

share sales, property sales, selling your company etc... all fall under the same umbrella.