Guest Houses In Chiang Rai

Keithangel

I note with suprise that on the Hotel link my Hotel/Guest house is not mentioned, I have stayed at the White House on my two previous visits to Chiang Rai as well as Jitteree G.H. and can recommend them both however with swimming pool, cable H.B.O. and soon to come wireless hotspots(at my instigation) and at 5000 month for fan rooms I have not been able to find a better deal in town, but am always open to suggestions and since I visit this forum whilst in the U.K. this may well be useful to other prospective admirers of the quality of life in this part of Thailand

Chat House Guest House....behind the hospital...before I lived here I stayed there a couple of times.....inexpensive....nice pleasant quiet garden to eat in.....short walk to market...next to a newly rebuilt wat...etc. No swimming pool though...don't know about wireless although I doubt it.

Gee guys - you forgot Ya G.H. where "anything is possible"!!!

Seriously, BanBua is great, BoonBanDan has phones in the room and garden to sit in too, there's a nice place in Sanpaanat (that's the street going to Lolita Apts from Pai Massage and Muang Tong all night restaurant - back behind the very back of Wiang Inn); the hotel nearest the Old Runway on the east side is cheap and has free InterNet; and the place with pool (expensive though) across the street free WiFi...

We haven't as many overnight accomodation places as massage shops, but almost. From Dec 20 to just after New years they tend to be pretty well booked up though!

Lots of new "bed and Breakfast" and Home Stay places - seems to be the fad after exercize shops - but I've had no reports on them.

Thanks for that, Keithangel. I'll be up in the next week for a visit, and will check out both of the above. Which of the 2 do you prefer? And which (do you think, on your instigation) is installing the WiFi?

McG

In answer Mc it was 2005 I was last in Jitteree, next to Mai Hong Song G.H., the people were great the owner an engineer, wife nurse at the Overbrook no pressure to eat there, a book to fill in if you had a coke, very relaxed and close by to the market/post office easy walk to town I paid 150$ day but there were long stayers paying much less,

I am staying at the White House the last two times and for me ,in my fifties I find the additional H.B.O. movies an advantage when coupled with the Pool, the owners are of Indian sub-continent descent and whilst they would clearly prefer I spend more with them than I do I treat my accommadation as an apartment ,bring food back from the afternoon market, make real coffee ect and it is with them I am attempting to get wireless connected, they do have internet but it is not competative with very near bye cafe,

the rates I quoted were for the month ,bye the week you should get 250/350day shorter stay depends on your hagglin skills the air rooms also have a fridge,

As to the rest of you guys recommendations are great but for those of us comming from abroad rates long and short plus other services are very usefull when planning a trip, So my challenge remains can anybody beat this deal?

I will do the best that I can. I live in Chiang Mai and haven't been up there for a while, so some landmarks might have changed, but, it is very close to Bunbundan Guest House on the other side of the main street that runs into the clock tower. There is a sign on the street, but you have to walk down a small soi behind some houses.

It was 170 baht last time I was there for a single with very big bed and hot water. Nicely furnished and quiet.

Nice owners.

Baan Bua is at 879/2 Thanon Jet Yot. If you send me a PM I will give you their telephone number.

If you go to Wat Jet Yot on Thanon Suksathit (it is parallel to the main road though town. Baan Bua is just down a small soi off Suksathit and then a left into their place.

depending on the room and may have changed since I was there it will be about 180-210 for a room per night. Have a small eating area outside under the shade which is nice.

CB

New info went to the Y.M.C.A today to pick up a friend, was quoted 2200$ fan/month 3800$ air con/month with tv (no cable) and a shallow pool .9/1.4mt depth they also have internet I didnot have time to look at the rooms but my friend said they were good will look next time, the down side is the distance from Chiang Rai.

80$ tuk/tuk from ok taxi guy,

Wireless router installed today but not yet correctly I think in the White House as their internet is not working now , ahh well ,reminds me of early years in Portugal

I needed somthing to do

P.S. any beginer bridge/whiste/le tarot/backgamon or chess players out there ?

New info went to the Y.M.C.A today to pick up a friend, was quoted 2200$ fan/month 3800$ air con/month with tv (no cable) and a shallow pool .9/1.4mt depth they also have internet I didnot have time to look at the rooms but my friend said they were good will look next time, the down side is the distance from Chiang Rai.

80$ tuk/tuk from ok taxi guy,

Wireless router installed today but not yet correctly I think in the White House as their internet is not working now , ahh well ,reminds me of early years in Portugal

I needed somthing to do

P.S. any beginer bridge/whiste/le tarot/backgamon or chess players out there ?

Update; Wireless now up and running this last week ,I also note that Jitteree G.H. has a wire less sign outside so this I will checkout when the owners are home.

Guys

The room rates you are all talking about are quite a revelation. When am in chiang Rai I normally stay at the Wancome Inn and get taken for 3,500 per night. I usually book at the last minute and just grab a room in the hotels defense. Looks like I should be looking around at the guesthouse market as they sound good.

My question is do you pay for what you get at the end of the day and the guesthouses dont really measure up to the level of accomodation of the hotels or is it the case (as I suspect ) I am paying through the nose for that big hotel marble fasard as I only use the bed and always eat out.

YorkieB

If all you need is a clean quiet room, with a few amenities (aircon, cable, etc.) I just paid 450 B/night at the Jansom House, which is just blocks away. Had a view out my window (I was on 3rd floor) of the front of Wat Jed Yod. Others recommend the Orchid, the White House, etc. As they say in Thailand, when it comes to how you want to spend your money: "UP2U"! :o

Guys

The room rates you are all talking about are quite a revelation. When am in chiang Rai I normally stay at the Wancome Inn and get taken for 3,500 per night. I usually book at the last minute and just grab a room in the hotels defense. Looks like I should be looking around at the guesthouse market as they sound good.

My question is do you pay for what you get at the end of the day and the guesthouses dont really measure up to the level of accomodation of the hotels or is it the case (as I suspect ) I am paying through the nose for that big hotel marble fasard as I only use the bed and always eat out.

YorkieB

3,500B a night?

Good God man you can stay at my place and save your self 500B. I'll even throw in breakfast for that.

If you feel something warm against you in the night it's the dog, he's harmless but the scratching tends to keep you awake.

Guys

YorkieB

3,500B a night?

Good God man you can stay at my place and save your self 500B. I'll even throw in breakfast for that.

If you feel something warm against you in the night it's the dog, he's harmless but the scratching tends to keep you awake.

Well it was over Christmas and New Year. but yes it was steep. But hey thanks for the offer, Can I book into yours for Christmas dinner this year. Turkey with all the trimmings would be just fine........ :o

Guys

YorkieB

3,500B a night?

Well it was over Christmas and New Year. but yes it was steep. But hey thanks for the offer, Can I book into yours for Christmas dinner this year. Turkey with all the trimmings would be just fine........ :o

Without a word of a lie, my Christmas dinner last year consisted of tinned tuna on Saltine crackers. We had a few of the locals over in the evening for a BBQ though.

Make a good thread later in the year. What do expats do for Christmas dinner?

Guys

YorkieB

3,500B a night?

Without a word of a lie, my Christmas dinner last year consisted of tinned tuna on Saltine crackers. We had a few of the locals over in the evening for a BBQ though.

Make a good thread later in the year. What do expats do for Christmas dinner?

To be honest I think i missed christmas day due to a hang over. But New Years Eve was cool. Had dinner in the carpark of the Wancome, all flood lit with a live show and all you could eat buffet of different food stalls. Then later went over to another big open air concert event thing near the night market. Sat next to a group of locals eating a feast of live grubs, waaaaaaaaa. So if you want a change from the tuna this year head down to the Night Market :D

Guys

YorkieB

The main thing that hotels provide that is better than a guest house is English TV and a swimming pool, but some guesthouses (The White House in Chiang Rai) have these as well for about 500 baht and it is too cold to use the pool in the cold season anyway. That means that you are paying at least 3,000 baht extra for the marble and getting ripped.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Guys

YorkieB

The main thing that hotels provide that is better than a guest house is English TV and a swimming pool, but some guesthouses (The White House in Chiang Rai) have these as well for about 500 baht and it is too cold to use the pool in the cold season anyway. That means that you are paying at least 3,000 baht extra for the marble and getting ripped.

I think you are probably quite right. whilst the room was good I did feel that I didnt get much from the 3 or 4 stars. However slightly off topic picking up you point about the pool the best place I have stayed in (November) and used the pool is the Waterford Hotel. Beautiful pool and if it gets too chilli the bath on the room are about 50% of the size of the pool at the Wiang Inn. You still pay circa 3,000 but you do get some bang for your buck.

• 2 years later...

I'd recommend Maekok Villa for the prices - 220 baht for clean fan room in newly built quiet single storey block with own hot shower and free wifi (if you have laptop). Internet 20B/hr if you use their one of their 2 PCs

. No TV or fridge.

260 baht for upstairs room with small balcony in the block next door (also new). Not sure what you get in these rooms.

Lots of parking space. Hmmm.... now I think about it how many cheapskates like me are travelling by car?

On Singhakai road, 2 mins walk from the lively afternoon/evening food market. 5 mins to Night Bazaar.

Run by colourful owner, his friendly family and a pack of Dachshunds

I'd recommend Maekok Villa for the prices - 220 baht for clean fan room in newly built quiet single storey block with own hot shower and free wifi (if you have laptop). Internet 20B/hr if you use their one of their 2 PCs

. No TV or fridge.

260 baht for upstairs room with small balcony in the block next door (also new). Not sure what you get in these rooms.

Lots of parking space. Hmmm.... now I think about it how many cheapskates like me are travelling by car?

On Singhakai road, 2 mins walk from the lively afternoon/evening food market. 5 mins to Night Bazaar.

I stayed there a long while ago. I don't remember any dachsounds, but i do remember it being infested with swarms of mosquitos, no problem now in January. Yes the owner is quite a character.

I would still prefer the Chat House, quite near, alongside Wat Prakaew, a much cosier ambience in my opinion, and the best value breakfast in the city.

. No TV or fridge.

I stayed there a long while ago. I don't remember any dachsounds, but i do remember it being infested with swarms of mosquitos, no problem now in January. Yes the owner is quite a character.

I would still prefer the Chat House, quite near, alongside Wat Prakaew, a much cosier ambience in my opinion, and the best value breakfast in the city.

That's tomorrow's breakfast sorted then... cheers!

Stayed at Chat house about 5 years ago and tried there this time but they were full and recommended this place (Maekok). I can imagine you're right regards the mozzies - squated a couple of whoppers already.