What Is "./"

Niloc

I have a CD with some software I am hoping to install eventually. I got to the folder. opened a terminal and put in 'sudo sh setup.sh' got a 'syntax error'. I asked my mate via email and he came back with 'sudo ./setup.sh' and I got a different result.

The only difference is the ./, what does this do??

The only difference is the ./, what does this do??

usually the current directory is not on the executables search path so you need to provide a path to the script not just a name and ./ is used to specify the current directory as the path

and try /. if you want some interesting daily reading - news for nerds!

bkkguy

I think the numbers of problems are very few, and 32-bits application will still run on 64-bits Linux. :o

/Hans

At the moment I always advice people to run on there desktop system 32-bit Linux distro's, in fact this also applies for MS Windows, running x86_64 has desktop users more negative sides then positive.

Some quick problems users get if they run x86_64...

Installing Flash player, running Mplayer (with codecs so you can really use it), Installing/running Wine, install and using wireless connection....etc...etc

And for both MS-Windows and Linux the 64 bit version has serious less drivers then the 32 bit counterpart.

So especially for a beginner who starts to explore Linux I will say go for the regular version, the x86_64 version is not faster doesn't do anything better. The only thing it is good for is if you have huge amount of memory