Peronsal Trainer At California Wow

dang1069

Don't go to California WOW you will get 20 phonecalls from them and their affiliates per week. I got so annoyed by it that I am refusing to go there. I got conned into paying a years membership by an American signing up new members. I had told him I wanted to try for a month. I wanted to read the papers before signing. He didn't want me to read to them, didn't want to give them home with me before I signed. After an hours arguing I signed with his word that it was just for a month .... now 6 months later I am getting a letter from a lawyers office that I didn't fork over the 12.000 baht for my first half year.

He was extremely insistant to get my credit card details I am happy I didn't let the guy swipe it. As I am refusing to pay. It is a place with a bunch of conartists.

Waerth

Edited by WAERTH

Maybe personal trainers are better in LOS than in the US. The LA Times conducted a survey a few years back and concluded that most of them actually know less than the man in the street about anatomy, health, and related subjects.

Many trainers offer lots of gimmicks. One that I recently saw in action was coaching a young lass by having her hop on one foot with a dumbell in each hand. And, she was hopping up the stairs! Why settle for a hyper-extended knee when you can fall and get a concussion and fractures in the same session.

There must be a few diamonds in the rough, though.

Never seen a trainer worth their salt.

I have watched dumb-struck as a trainer with a superb 'trained her ass off' body was making a chubby 'sat on her ass' women do extremely complex actions witha cable pulley thing.

Save a bunch of money and read on line or pick up a decent fitness book/mag.

Boycott California fitness. Their hard sell techniques and pricing is deplorable.

What about those obnoxious loudspeakers the blast out onto the streets. Who's idea is that?

Never heard of noise pollution?

I cross the street to avoid being blasted by them, let alone walking in and signing up...

I've been a member there for since they opened 7 years ago. They hardsell everything and when called on their promises they just ignore you. The personal trainers are a joke. Most of them are fat and lazy and don't even have any basic training for giving advice. I am always amazed though by the amount of members I see working out with these trainers who are giving advice when they themselves need a good personal trainer to get in shape. Even though I knew about their shady practices and promises, I upgraded my membership to lifetime for an extra 30,000 baht which meant I could do Hot Yoga (Bikram's) anytime all the time which would be a considerable savings since I was paying 1000 per class. Of course now they decided not to renew the license to do Bikram Yoga which means back to regular yoga which is included in the normal membership price. Am I surprised?, of course not as I should have known better. Myself and others though are not going to let this go and am now harrasing the sales and management team daily about getting a refund. Many Thai big shots were caught in this scam they pulled as it not only affects Silom branch but the others as well. They have not seen the end of this.

I have watched dumb-struck as a trainer with a superb 'trained her ass off' body was making a chubby 'sat on her ass' women do extremely complex actions witha cable pulley thing.

Not fair. Because California WOW is only for women, I can't even watch :o

Edited by onethailand

I've been a member there for since they opened 7 years ago. They hardsell everything and when called on their promises they just ignore you. The personal trainers are a joke. Most of them are fat and lazy and don't even have any basic training for giving advice. I am always amazed though by the amount of members I see working out with these trainers who are giving advice when they themselves need a good personal trainer to get in shape. Even though I knew about their shady practices and promises, I upgraded my membership to lifetime for an extra 30,000 baht which meant I could do Hot Yoga (Bikram's) anytime all the time which would be a considerable savings since I was paying 1000 per class. Of course now they decided not to renew the license to do Bikram Yoga which means back to regular yoga which is included in the normal membership price. Am I surprised?, of course not as I should have known better. Myself and others though are not going to let this go and am now harrasing the sales and management team daily about getting a refund. Many Thai big shots were caught in this scam they pulled as it not only affects Silom branch but the others as well. They have not seen the end of this.

Interesting as I am now getting letters from their lawyers as I refuse to pay for a service I never went to. Contact me privately about this please.

Waerth

They do block bookings so u have to block book at least a month as far as i remember, maybe a few hours a week. I think the cost is approx 1000 baht per hour.

The same as Fitness first then, how much do those trainers actually get paid? Can't see it being more than 12k a month.

Can anyone recommend where to find better PT with inexpensive price?

I know the rate of PT at Ambassador Hotel is reasonable. Will it be better there?

I have worked out at the Ambassador quite a bit but know nothing about their trainers. As long as there are some free weights, I can usually get a good workout anywhere, but the equipment at the Ambassador is poor and pretty archaic by modern day standards and absolutely no comparison to the modern well equiped California Wow. There have many posts on TV through the past year about the sleazy operation at California Wow and in my opinion they are all true. I had a short term membership at CW and really enjoyed working out at the gym as the equipment and atmosphere was great (other than the loudspeakers out in front). Just keep in mind when you are dealing with CW that they run on a lot of hype and you cannot trust them since they will try to screw you out of some extra money every chance they get by having many different price structures. Even though CW is a large corporation, I would guess that in the long term they will either go bankrupt or sell out to someone that realizes that satisfied customers is the key to running a successful health club .

I agree with everything as well. I did get their calls after joining, and added them to my phones memory so I could ignore them. The calls went as follows:

Me: Hello

CW: Do you speak Thai?

Me: No

CW: CLICK

After 3 or 4 of these calls I added them to my "blocked" list so the calls never come through.

Other than that, I go a 2 year membership at Asok, for about 850 baht/month. Seems good to me as the facilities are nicer than New York Sports Club, and NYSC was around 3,000 baht/month.

I joined CF in Silom about 5 years ago. At the time, I joined because I was captivated by all the extremely fit women who were working out in their tight shorts .. (calm down Simon...)

Unfortunately, after I joined, I was constantly pestered by extremely fit men who were admiring me in MY tight shorts . . . .

I didn't renew my annual membership :o

Simon