Where To Buy A Chef Jacket

realthaideal

Not quite as juicy as looking for a maid's outfit, but I need to get ahold of another type of uniform - a chef jacket. I'm thinking there has to be an industrial work clothes store around town somewhere, just not sure where. I see all hotel chefs have them, as do casual cooks from alot of restaurants in town. Where do they get them from ? Back in the US there was always the private order option for the nicer ones, but in a pinch you could drop by the uniform store - they also sold other interesting things like lab coats, nurse uniforms, and jumpsuits. Could be fun to know for Halloween too!

Thanks UG. But I think I'm just gonna have to find a uniform store on my own, and/or stop a hotel chef and ask. I need it by tmw! I know I can order one but no time.

As for the other comment about a custom order, you need the right material really. Chef coats, being industrial, have many safety features built in that normal cloth cannot do - you need to have the right material. In many cases they are fairly stain resistant, heat/ flame retardant, and even the method of attaching buttons is special so that should hot oil/ water spill on you, you can literally rip the jacket off asap and prevent a deeper burn. There are real reasons these things are often sold in industrial uniform stores, and not just made independently by anyone with a sewing machine.

As for the other comment about a custom order, you need the right material really. Chef coats, being industrial, have many safety features built in that normal cloth cannot do - you need to have the right material. In many cases they are fairly stain resistant, heat/ flame retardant, and even the method of attaching buttons is special so that should hot oil/ water spill on you, you can literally rip the jacket off asap and prevent a deeper burn. There are real reasons these things are often sold in industrial uniform stores, and not just made independently by anyone with a sewing machine.

I was an executive hotel chef for 35 years. :D All my jackets were custom made, but then I didn't have to foot the bill and they were always dry-cleaned. There are hundreds of grades of jackets and as much of a selection of buttons hooks clips pins and knots for closure, all the way down to the the commis ones in Polly blends. Just because you buy one in an industrial uniform store doesn't make it a quality garment. BTW I've never had to rip my jacket off, if I did my mentor would rise from his grave and drown me in a stock pot. :D If you can't keep the drips off yourself better buy one of those new wave black jackets... :o