Art Dealer

jitagon

I would like to start a small business as an art dealer. Anyone with experience could advise please? I know where to buy, but where to sell? Thankyou. :o

Most dealers have their own gallery, are you talking THailand or taking Thai art overseas, a fairly common thing these days.

I used to own a gallery many years before I joined Sat-Ed, so I know quite a bit.

The success is knowing buyers, thats the key, the best dealers have a long list of buyers they guard jelously, the painters everyone will know who you represent, tricky part is getting them to trust you and agree to the commission.

I have heard of very high commissions in Thailand and low ones,

Like all businesses in Thailand, unless you've done this back home, I'd avoid doing it here

CTO

I would like to start a small business as an art dealer. Anyone with experience could advise please? I know where to buy, but where to sell? Thankyou. :o

Most dealers have their own gallery, are you talking THailand or taking Thai art overseas, a fairly common thing these days.

I used to own a gallery many years before I joined Sat-Ed, so I know quite a bit.

The success is knowing buyers, thats the key, the best dealers have a long list of buyers they guard jelously, the painters everyone will know who you represent, tricky part is getting them to trust you and agree to the commission.

I have heard of very high commissions in Thailand and low ones,

Like all businesses in Thailand, unless you've done this back home, I'd avoid doing it here

CTO

No I wasn't personally involved in art dealership, but knew a lot of people who were. But only with European art.

The buyers will, I assume, be from very different backgrounds, depending on the kind of art. When you say it's fairly common these days (taking/sending art from Thailand to sell overseas), I would have thought the low end market would have been superseded by the likes of Shenzen in China?

I would be interested to learn what, in your experience, represents the higher end market here? Anything that's not a knock off? I've sometimes bought peices here from local artists taking a break from the copying, on the basis that they weren't a copy from a book of European art. But, I have to say, that's all that most of them had going for them. Although the likes of 'H' et al in Bangkok are doing there best to remedy that.

I wouldn't have thought indigenous Thai art, would have found much of an audience in the West. Doesn't seem to have the same kudos as Balinese, Chinese or Indian. I'd be interested to learn your experience to the contrary.

I would like to start a small business as an art dealer. Anyone with experience could advise please? I know where to buy, but where to sell? Thankyou. :D

the expression "art" covers a godzillion :o objects. i am an art collector but of course limited to 1^-99% of art available on this planet. however i might be able to render some assistance via a few good friends who are art dealers located Europe and the United States.

can you be more specific?

I wouldn't have thought indigenous Thai art, would have found much of an audience in the West.

what is sought after very much worldwide is [unfortunately] art acquired by theft (Thailand, Laos and Cambodia) and sold illegally. Bangkok art shops are stuffed with that kind of art. it is not advisable to think of that line of business!

Artists like Vasaan, Monti Boona, I know I got spellings wrong, :o are pretty well received overseas.

Have a look at who represented Thailand at the Venice Bianali, (Spelling again please) is a good starting point, better Thai galleries would be a good starting point, in the end, if yo know your buyers, you know what to look for, up to you as the dealer to build the story.