Foxit - Vista - User Account Control

lopburi3

Since change to new version of Foxit PDF Reader getting "user account control" control box to continue every time try to open a PDF file. Was not a problem before or with alternate programs. I have admin rights and have also checked "run as admin" in properties but still that dang box to check every time I try to open. Can find no reports on net or on Foxit site so may just be my karma. Anyone have any suggestions short of turning account control off?

Since change to new version of Foxit PDF Reader getting "user account control" control box to continue every time try to open a PDF file. Was not a problem before or with alternate programs. I have admin rights and have also checked "run as admin" in properties but still that dang box to check every time I try to open. Can find no reports on net or on Foxit site so may just be my karma. Anyone have any suggestions short of turning account control off?

Turn UAC off. I mean are you realistically going to read every single UAC dialog box? Are you going to understand what exactly it means if an unknown program wants to change an unknown system file. It seems to me you would need to be a windows expert to know enough to really decide whether or not to allow any given UAC alert.

And if you just click yes out of reflex or lack of knowledge, you might as well just turn the dam_n thing off. This is easily the most broken and annoying feature in Vista.

Do not turn off UAC. Just use secpol.msc from the command line to change the option for the popups.

If your on a home version of vista secpol.msc is not available and you have to play with the registry. BACKUP BEFORE CHANGING. The keys are:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

"ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin" User Account Control: Behavior of the Elevation Prompt For Administrators in Admin Approval Mode

"ConsentPromptBehaviorUser" User Account Control: Behavior of the Elevation Prompt For Standard Users

"EnableInstallerDetection" User Account Control: Detect Application Installations and Prompt For Elevation

"EnableLUA" User Account Control: Run All Administrators in Admin Approval Mode

"EnableSecureUIAPaths" User Account Control: Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations

"EnableVirtualization" User Account Control: Virtualizes file and registry write failures to per-user locations

"FilterAdministratorToken" User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator Account

"PromptOnSecureDesktop" User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation

"ValidateAdminCodeSignatures" User Account Control: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated

0 is off 1 is on and 2 is extended. Dword to set to 0 is ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin

Usual disclaimers on this one - your registry your responsibility.

Edited by dsys

I've turned off UAC, and unless you're an inexperienced user you should have no problems by turning it off either. It's one of the features in Vista that I must say was poorly designed. If you have a good antivirus and a realtime antispyware program running with DEP (Data Execution Prevention) enabled, the UAC is overkill.

Your right CD.. users need to make their own informed choice about the security of their PC's. Here is a good article about the security/usabillty tradeoff in Vista.

<a href="http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2007/01/23/security-features-vs-convenience.aspx" target="_blank">http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsv...onvenience.aspx</a>

Edited by dsys

Thanks for the feedback and may indeed turn it off but no other program causes this to happen once installed so it seems to be specific to Foxit/my computer and had (faint) hope that I might be able to get it working (as it did before) without the need to provide authorization each time the program starts.

I have the same issues with the following programs:

ws_ftp pro 2007 - unidentified program

surfstats enterprise edition - unidentified program

secure clean - unidentified program

registry mechanic - needs to run as admin

visual studio 2005 - needs to run as admin

Dont think it's specific to your pc or that program.

Edited by dsys

Foxit is a major program and designed to be used with Vista and did work before - not sure if update of program or a Vista update or my dumb luck caused it to require authorization each time. I am sure there would be screaming on there forum if it was experienced by other users. Have tried both Adobe and another pdf reader and they do not have the problem. But prefer Foxit as much faster and saves form-fill pages.

I have turned the control off as am quite careful about sites and run NOD-32. It happened on any attempt to open a PDF file - the PDF extension would call the program and then permission would have to be provided for the program to start. Foxit does not open inside Firefox so downloads and opens associated program to view it. One would think that there would be an "exception" type list you could add such a program to in Vista (and indeed see a place where it would be logical but no way to do so).

As of now 80% like and 20% dislike for Vista.

I have turned the control off as am quite careful about sites and run NOD-32. It happened on any attempt to open a PDF file - the PDF extension would call the program and then permission would have to be provided for the program to start.

A couple of forums say to 'Uncheck run as Admininstrator' for the application. See if that will work.

I have turned the control off as am quite careful about sites and run NOD-32. It happened on any attempt to open a PDF file - the PDF extension would call the program and then permission would have to be provided for the program to start.

A couple of forums say to 'Uncheck run as Admininstrator' for the application. See if that will work.

I turned it off because it anoyed the heck out of me. I get a little sys tray warning onf startup that it's disabled and that's the only nag I get now. =)

In your security centre you are able to dismiss that warning.

I turned it off because it anoyed the heck out of me. I get a little sys tray warning onf startup that it's disabled and that's the only nag I get now. =)

In your security centre you are able to dismiss that warning.

Thanks Cdnvic

gallery_32183_549_22017.jpg

Edited by ozymandious