Cleaning Pool 'top'

CGW

Like many pools the "top" of pool where you walk around is "sandstone" not sure that is the correct name, lots of bits of sand in it though!

starting to look dirty, tried wire brushing, does little, any tips on how to clean? bearing in mind I don't need to start chemical warfare either in pool or the surrounding grass area.

Cheers

Is it coloured artificially, or is it natural? If it's natural you can give it a good soaking with a mix of strong chlorine or bleach and water (watch the splash). This kills off the bits of lichen and other organic material and brightens it up. To keep it looking fresh and to protect against foot fungus I rinse the decks off with superchlorinated water whenever I shock the pools. If you do that and give it a good rinse once a week it should never get too bad.

If it's gotten really bad you may need to do a pressure washing, then just maintain it a bit more rigorously afterwards.

Thanks cdnvic, its natural, and not that bad, never put any chemicals on it as have grass all around, I wash it off most days, but slowly atarting to look grubby, will give the bleach a go - just before it rains! :o

Cheers

Thanks cdnvic, its natural, and not that bad, never put any chemicals on it as have grass all around, I wash it off most days, but slowly atarting to look grubby, will give the bleach a go - just before it rains! :D

Cheers

bleach is not a chemical? :o

Yes, but it's a chemical that's compatible with pools. I always advise using pool products on decks when possible as it lowers the risk of contaminants getting into the pool. Bleach washed into the pool will simply gas off in the sunlight.