Turtle Identification

We found this turtle while cutting down long grass in our back lot of land. We live across the road from Mabprachan so not sure if he somehow wandered from the lake (we've found crabs in our garden so it is possible) or if he is a land turtle. The maid has said that there are empty turtle shells around the temple which she says that the locals have been eating them. Just want to id this boy before I put him back where he belongs :o

post-41514-1192667617_thumb.jpg

post-41514-1192667641_thumb.jpg

post-41514-1192667742_thumb.jpg

post-41514-1192667796_thumb.jpg

No webbed feet, but ###### sharp nails! I can only assume that it does spend most of its time on land judging by those feet, so I did put it back where it was found (my 3 and half daughter actually DEMANDED that we take her back to her home because her babies wanted their mummy back :D:o )

Even though we haven't kept it, I am still interested in knowing exactly what species it is.

The turtle you found looks like an Asian Box turtle.

If there is a red spot on the side of their head, it's a Redeared Terrapin. They are also quite common here, but not in the wild. They aren't native to Asia.

The Asian Box turtle can be found in most parts of asia as preferably close to swampy terrain. The thais do collect them and sell them at the local market for people to eat. I've picked up a few from the market just out of pitty... I keep them in a little pond in my garden.

He looks like a healthy little buggar!

:o

Tao na? (เต่านา)

Malayan Snail-eating Terrapin(Rice-field Terrapin)

Scientific name : Malayemys subtrijuga

385_001.jpg

Yep that's the one. Asian Box Turtles (Amboinensis) are now on CITES and must not really be removed from where they are found. Snail Eaters are really rare though but when found there is likely to be a lot more in the same area.

www.viperandvine.com

• 1 month later...
The turtle you found looks like an Asian Box turtle.

If there is a red spot on the side of their head, it's a Redeared Terrapin. They are also quite common here, but not in the wild. They aren't native to Asia.

The Asian Box turtle can be found in most parts of asia as preferably close to swampy terrain. The thais do collect them and sell them at the local market for people to eat. I've picked up a few from the market just out of pitty... I keep them in a little pond in my garden.

He looks like a healthy little buggar!

:D

what kind of sick person would eat such cute creatures? so disgusting to hear.. :o I hope there's a turtle heaven to house all these sweet critters who were killed senselessly by stupid and heartless humans who WILL be punished in their after lives.

Thanks for the replies guys - it's good to know what he was just in case we come across him or another of his kind. :D

Hi

Yup, agree it is a rice field terrapin, the 3 ridges on the shell confirm it. According to my book it is abundant in Thailand.

TBWG :o

He's cute... it would have been helpful to give us an idea how big he is, cause we can't tell from the picture.

Here is a picture of my two turtles canoodling... aren't they cute? Just took it today... mine are about 5" each. They aren't real exotic, but I just love them... I buy that "morning glory", not sure of the Thai name, plant at Carrefour for 3 baht a bunch... they just LOVE it... I have this floating thing I bought in the minor nation U.S. and A., which they climb on to get some sun in the afternoon... they are real happy...

post-8654-1197022837_thumb.jpg

Edited by Weho