Electric Space Heater

ricklev

After 10 years in the tropics I was freezing in Chiang Mai last winter. I never did find a reasonably priced electric heater. I did see one at Central for 8000 baht or so, but I'm looking for something for around 1000 baht. Any ideas?

Thanks.....

After 10 years in the tropics I was freezing in Chiang Mai last winter. I never did find a reasonably priced electric heater. I did see one at Central for 8000 baht or so, but I'm looking for something for around 1000 baht. Any ideas?

Thanks.....

Hava a look at Global House, they have a promotion at the moment. Don't remember the price, but certainly a lot less than 8,000 baht.

/ Priceless

They had some of the 2.4 Kw turbo fan Chinese made ones in Home Pro last year, probably about time they had them again as winter approaches...

Edit...Forgot to mention they were about 1,500 baht

Edited by Maejo Man

Say, do you guys remember the Christmas of 1999? It was our first winter here as a family and it went down overnight to 39 degrees Fahrenheit! ( I think about 7 or 8 Celcius) We were FREEZING and horrified that there was literally no place to get warm!!! Not even our car had a heater!!! ONly A/C! We opened up our Christmas prezzies that year with mittens, hats and wrapped up in our duvets! the photos are hilarious!

Went to Central to get space heaters, they said that a 5 star hotel had bought them all ( there were only 10 in the city!)

Say, do you guys remember the Christmas of 1999? It was our first winter here as a family and it went down overnight to 39 degrees Fahrenheit! ( I think about 7 or 8 Celcius) We were FREEZING and horrified that there was literally no place to get warm!!! Not even our car had a heater!!! ONly A/C! We opened up our Christmas prezzies that year with mittens, hats and wrapped up in our duvets! the photos are hilarious!

Went to Central to get space heaters, they said that a 5 star hotel had bought them all ( there were only 10 in the city!)

Yes, I do remember that year and how bitterly cold it was. I made a very bad decision to leave late afternoon on XMas eve on my motorcycle, to head up to the mountains outside of Mae Suay. I didn't make it every far--my hands went numb from the cold, as well as the rest of me. I was lucky to find a small guesthouse that would take us in--and of course, all they had on the bed was a thin sheet. It was still better than driving for three more hours, though.

I also remember that year many people dieing from fires and asphyxiation. People bring small stoves into their rooms and embers popping out start fires. Many suffocated because they closed the windows and blocked all gaps in order to keep the warm air in, and they died in their sleep.

And as for space heaters, they bring along their own set of hazards. Bit early in the season for public announcements, but: if you are going to use them, be aware of the safety issues.