Thai Food In A Slow Cooker

NguuMuu

I'm trying to make better use of my crockpot so I thought maybe I could put it to use making some Thai food. I found a few recipes on this forum, but not much. Searching the internet you can find a few more 'thai' recipes, but they are usually adapted to Western ingrediants and tastes (such as red curry chicken or the thai salsa and peanut sauce that is not really that common over here but so popular in America).

So basically, can anyone share a few more authentic slow cooker recipes? Thanks!

I'm trying to make better use of my crockpot so I thought maybe I could put it to use making some Thai food. I found a few recipes on this forum, but not much.

Thai cooking is based on fast cooking methods; it only makes sense in this climate. It doesn't translate very well to long slow cooking. Coconut milk, for example, separates if cooked for too long or at too high a temperature, so that omits all the traditional curries. A crockpot would be ideal for making jok overnight and having it ready for breakfast. A crockpot is ideal for making soups, but remember to add the leafy veggies only for the last few minutes of cooking.

Trying to make a stir-fry in a crockpot is an exercise in frustration.

What about something like Massaman Curry

Its very similar to some of the Malay/Indo curries like Dachar and Rendang and they are very good slow cooked.

The potatoes will stop the coconut separating due to their starch content

Edited by Prakanong

What about

Khao kaa muu (stewed pork leg) with a cut of pork instead of the whole leg

Lad naa (noodles in the thick sauce)

Gra pao bplaa (fish maw/pork rind soup)

Bua loi kai waan (sweet dessert)

Other sweet dessert soup type items

any other soup broths

The sauce for khao Muu Daeng

masaman curry as previously mentioned

I know very little about cooking. Are any of these possible?

The Crock Pot at this house is only ever used to make Kang Hanglay.

But essential for the cooking process of this delicious Burmese / Northern curry.

You can buy the curry base as a packet - LOBO brand. The recipe is on the Net - but too fussy for me. Packet taste is fine for me.

Pork - you can use cheaper cuts like Pork Neck (Fat on or off according to your tastes. Thais like to use pork belly.) - cut into large chunks - together with the paste and water - and 12 hours in your Crock Pot. If you use a better cut of pork such as Loin - then 8 hours is ok. Pickled garlic / shredded young ginger on top - added when serving. Lotus Tesco sells fresh young ginger - and you will find glass jars of pickled garlic there also.

Reduce the curry sauce down to a thicker consistency after 12 hours (by simmering the sauce only - with the pork set aside) - if you like a thicker / drier style of curry. I prefer to serve it with Naan or Chapati.

If you dont know Kang Hanglay - I discovered it at an S&P Restaurant here in Chiang Mai (Rimping / Maejo).

I like to make Pae-lo moo (five spice powder with pig feet) in the crockpot.

I put some pig feet or ham hocks with five spice power and some sugar, then water to cover. cook until tender then place some boiled eggs in there during the last hour. Chicken legs are good also but I never mix pork with chicken in the same Pae-lo. add fish sauce to taste. I always add extra Pok-kak (star anise) to the dish, 3 or 4 stars per crock.

Hope you like it

*j*

Edited by Chung noi

• 2 weeks later...

This is not a slow cooker recipe but I take this dish to pot luck dinners in a slow cooker and everybody loves it.

Moo Phad Kra Prow....Fried Minced Pork with Holy Basil

Per Serving

(For 2 servings I double the recipe, the 3rd-6th servings I 1/2 the ingredients except the meat otherwise I find it too salty)

1/4 cup of minced pork, beef, chicken, or tofu. Pork is best!

1/2 onion thinly sliced

2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed

3-5 small chilis, stem removed and crushed

20 holy basil leaves

2 tablespoons of water or chicken broth

1 tablespoon of oil

pinch of sugar

Sauce:

1 tablespoon oyster sauce

1 teaspoon of fish sauce

1/8 tablespoon black soy sauce

Heat oil in wok over medium heat

add garlic and onions, cook until translucent

add meat, stir until cooked

add chilis

add water, & sauce mix.

stir then add the basil

cook for a minute or so then serve over rice

Very Good and everyone loves it!

• 2 years later...
Reviving this old thread 'cos I bought a slow cooker this weekend and gonna try to cook something soon when I get organised.

I would think the slow cooker would be great for tenderizing tougher cuts of meat which would then be used later on in a stir fry recipe. Any meat you planned using the next day, put it in the slow cooker the night before and by the next morning the muscle and sinew will be totally broken down. Best for beef and pork, as you don't want to overcook chicken and duck. Probably also very good for boiling down bones and fish for making stock.

Edited by Spee

• 1 month later...

Today I'm trying 'comfort food' in the slow cooker. Lemon chicken that used to be sold as "chinese food" when I was a kid but was in fact deep fried chicken with a thick lemon goo on the side. The slow cooker version smells just as good but with no deep-frying has to be better for me.

• 4 weeks later...

:) My wife is an excellent Thai cook ,The only thing she cooks in crock pot is Ky Moo Palo as others have noted. When we lived in Thailand I used to cook beans in the crock pot ,but boiled them on stove before adding to crock pot.

LL

recently invested in one myself (crockpot).

I am especially fond of 'day old' curries. You can achieve this effect easily by using a slow cooker.

I make a mean Panang Curry in one. When we have a street party here, which is a regular occurrance, generally everyone brings a 'plate'. I turned up with my crockpot full of Panang Mu and they (Thais) went ballistic. All gone in a New York minute, many of them taking small bowls of it home for later. Unlike Thai Style I like the large chunky style of meat in curries. Especially when slow cooked.

I also like Japanese pork curry, same style, with big chunky pieces of pork, this comes up well too.