Moving To Thailand From Us

I've read through some of the threads on this site (which is a great resource, btw) and have learned a lot already. However, there are some particulars about my situation that I haven't found specific answers to. So I'm hoping you can help me.

THE SETUP

My wife and I currently live in USA and are both 26 years old. We were both born here and have lived here all our lives (and so are both US citizens). My wife's parents are both Thai citizens, at least one of which is also a US citizen. Her mom lives in the US. Her Dad lives in Bangkok.

THE PLAN

We will be moving to Thailand hopefully within a year and living there long-term. Our plan is to start and run an orphanage in the Chiang Mai area (we have access to land there, and worst-case is that it can be bought in her Dad's name on our behalf). Most of our income will be in the form of support/donations, probably mostly from the US.

QUESTIONS

So I have a few questions regarding this, especially in terms of the visa situation (the land, building, and ownership stuff can be handled later). First of all, is it possible for her to get a Thai passport and what will she need to get it? Secondly, what will we need (or what will I need) in order to live there together long-term? In other words, what kind of visa will be best for this situation, how often will we have to make visa runs or get extensions, and that sort of thing. Also what options do I have for living there long-term without making visa runs and how do I go about pursuing those options (immigrant, PR, citizenship, etc)?

And of course, what options will be available to us if she can't get a passport?

I think those questions will do for now. I'm sure I'll ask more as I read your answers. Thank you for any help that you can provide.

- Adam

Your wife can claim Thai citizenship - and do so by contacting the Thai Embassy in Washington - see

http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/con_info...htm#nationality

She first obtains a Thai passport in US, and then comes here and establishes a legal address here, by registering onto a tambien bahn somwhere.

Interesting note: If she comes here on a non-immigrant visa in her US passport, upon receipt of Thai passport (which gets issued from Bangkok, but back through ES Embassy to US address), she can obtain an automatic one-year extension of her entry permit in the US passport - issued same day.

Once your wife is established here as a Thai citizen, you can then obtain a Class O visa, and then apply to extend that visa on the basis of supporting a Thai spouse.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Thanks so much! I hadn't seen that page on the Thai Embassy site before. So that clears that up. I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of follow-up questions :o

Does the Class O Visa require 90-day visa runs after it has been extended? I've found only conflicting or ambiguous information on this.

What should my wife and I do if we want to come to Thailand at the same time? I think I understand your interesting note to mean she can come here on a non-imm visa in the interim. Is that right? Which visa will I need to come with her like that?

What are the prerequisites for permanent resident status or citizenship (if that's even possible) for me once we live here?

Thanks again!

- Adam

It is best for your wife to establish her Thai nationality and apply for her Thai passport at the Thai Embassy in the US.

Based on that passport and your marriage certificate you can apply for a Non-Immigrant 'O' visa.

This will give you an initial 90 days of entry to Thailand.

After 60 days you can apply for a one year extension. See marriage visa, you will need to show 400,000 baht in the bank at that time.

If you do not think you can get the 400,000 baht in the bank then apply for multi-entry NonImm 'O' visa before leaving the US. You can then do out/in Visa runs every 90 days.

Gaining a residence permit is quite difficult. However your actions with the Orphange may help you in this area