Nice Place For Dinner

Jamie

I thought I would ask the ladies this...

I want to take my fiancee to a nice place for dinner while in BKK this coming spring. Something that is quiet, and romantic. I plan on proposing to her. Yes, she is my fiancee, but I really want to do this the proper way...the way she wanted it done the first time. So...I want to do this again for her. If anyone has any suggestions on a place, I would appreciate it.

Hi Jamie,

Nice to see someone posting from Wisconsin.

Some of my favorite romantic restaurants in Bangkok:

* On the River: Arun Residence by the River www.arunresidence.com (Amazing nighttime view of Wat Arun--seriously romantic, but not over the top expensive)

* Thai Fusion: Mahanaga's: http://www.mahanaga.com/ (beautiful old house and courtyard)

* Italian: L'Opera http://www.lopera-bangkok.com/contact_us.asp (In the main restaurant, upscale wine cellar like atmosphere)

* French: Le Banyan http://www.le-banyan.com/

Wherever you choose, suggest letting the restaurant know your plans--just to be sure that you get tip-top service all night (although it shouldn't be a problem with most of the choices above).

My DH proposed 20 years ago in a car park. I can tell you that that was the most romantic car park I'll ever have the pleasure of being in on a misty autumn evening...getting all misty-eyed now...

Cheers

(Misty)

* Thai Fusion: Mahanaga's: http://www.mahanaga.com/ (beautiful old house and courtyard)

* Italian: L'Opera http://www.lopera-bangkok.com/contact_us.asp (In the main restaurant, upscale wine cellar like atmosphere)

Thai Fusion: Mahanaga's ===== yes yes yes!!

But what is it romantic about L'Opera? :o It's the day he's gonna propose and I don't think L'O would do a work.

I thought I would ask the ladies this...

I want to take my fiancee to a nice place for dinner while in BKK this coming spring. Something that is quiet, and romantic. I plan on proposing to her. Yes, she is my fiancee, but I really want to do this the proper way...the way she wanted it done the first time. So...I want to do this again for her. If anyone has any suggestions on a place, I would appreciate it.

Oriental Hotel outside next to the river (think it was called the Veranda). Get there before 6pm for cocktails. Watch the sun set sipping your cocktail. Food is OK, but more just for the pleasant ambience, sitting next to the river. Classy place for relaxing and spoiling yourself a little.

Edited by fletchthai68

either the Oriental by the river (They said its te oldest hotel in BKK) or Sirocco The Dome I also reccomended.

Thoose place is really beautiful.

At the Dome theres also cosy nice bar inside if u prefer to stay indoor and enjoy the candle light..

Good luck Jamie !! :o

Vertigo at the Banyan Tree Hotel. This was the first of Bangkok’s restaurants to stick its uncovered head in the clouds and it possesses a view comparable to what you get at the Dome. The specialty here is barbecued dishes, and seafood in particular. Open from 17:00 each evening, reservations are essential.

Yes, I have been there and like it both place. Go ahead, give yourself a treat :o

on the rooftop theme, between Virtigo and Sirocco, here are my views:

Sirocco: more grand style, roman-looking dome/structure, huge staircase going down to restuarant..can have the waiting staff make a grand entrance of some sort with special gift for your fiance? has a live jazz band.

Virtigo: I prefer this one. great food, amazing service, spectacular view (which sirocco also has), but I think food is nicer here. the tables might be a little too close to each other though...if you are looking for something more private..sirocco might be easier to get a table in a private corner. but virtigo food is BETTER!! :D it doesnt have as grand a look as Sirocco,

so it really depends what you are after.... more intimate? or more intimate on a grand formal style......

if you go to the oriental, after dinner you can take her to the best jazz bar in bangkok, perhaps in southeast asia...the Bamboo Bar. AMAZING AMAZING.

sighhhhhh...I miss my last date.......

I wonder if the Face in Sukhumvit 38 is still open? been a while since I was last taken there...and things in bangkok seem to change so quickly......not heard any friends mention it recently either......but could be cos its not on the main thoroughfare?

a thai wooden house, with 3 outlets, thai food, indian food and the bar. its really really nice, and also quite romantic , wooden traditional thai house set amidst green fresh bamboo trees. the thai food is not all that amazing (not saying its bad...but can get better thai food)

another really good place that I just thought of is:

Le Cafe Siam

a french restaurant in colonial style building. their food is very good, and the house doubles as a private art gallery. its got a very cosy feel inside, and has a wonderful garden if you like to be outdoor. (the garden is quite big)

the best thing about this place is...because the location is a little bit off the main road (near the express way area), so it doesnt get a lot of patrons (might not be good for restuarant ofcourse!) but they have been there for many many years, and still doing ok. the reason I say its good is...last time I was there (weekday) we had the entire place to ourselves! so they set the table for us out in the garden. felt just like having my own personal private and very romantic place.

food is amazing too.

this last one will not have the amazing skyline view that virtigo or sirocco have, but will certainly be quiet and romantic.

you just have to choose which mood you want :o

and congrats to the 2 of you :D