American Student Going To Thammasat U. Next Fall

Jorinda

First post, yay. Anyways, I've recently gotten my parents to agree to let me study abroad in Thailand for the next fall semester, and I was hoping that I could get some insights into living in Bkk from people who are there now. As far as I know, I'll be enrolled in the Business school at TU and be living in an apartment thats relatively close to campus. I'll also be turning 21 there, and I have 0 knowledge of Thai and have never been to asia before, which is a reason why I chose Thailand. Has anyone here gone to TU or know how it is to be a student in Bkk? Chances are extremely high I'll be the only Virginia Tech student going, so I'll also be relatively friendless. I'm curious about the housing around the university, what there is to do for fun, and anything else that anyone thinks I should know. I've been reading through the forum but not extensively so apologies ahead of time if any of the questions are really redundant.

maybe start learning the language - for example exchanging lessons with some thai cook from the nearest thai restaurant. Choose the one from the central thailand to be sure you are not learning lao, khmer or burmese.

and prepare yourself for a culture shock

Are you studying BBA or BE? There is normally lots of exchange students so if you want some western friends there will be plenty for you to hang around with. Also the Thai students will be very welcoming to you and they will be sure to invite you out to do things with them. As for fun things to do, it depends what you call fun. There’s lots of markets for food and a clothes market near T.U and it’s also close to Khao San Road which is the favorite place in the city for the western backpackers. There is lots of bars and restaurants there and it can get quite rowdy at night, also lots of tourist stuff to buy there. About 30 mins from the uni is Siam, this is the center of BKK and there is lots of big impressive expensive malls if that is your thing. As for housing, I would recommend this http://www.geocities.com/mnresidence/ Its just 5 mins from there uni and is a nice area. I would probably avoid the dorms that they tell you too book as they are often rather basic. If you want to get a feel for Thailand before you arrive you could buy a book such as lonely planet or a bok on Thai culture, dont follow them religously but they will give you a nice idea.

Edited by madjbs

I do need to start learning the language, the only problem is I'm in the middle of rural appalachia (any Americans on here know what that means) and my college barely offers Chinese and Arabic, much less Thai. There might be a few international students on campus though.

I'll be a BBA student, hopefully taking 3 or so business classes (Intro to finance, production and ops management, marketing management) and a thai language class. That apartment does look good, it was mentioned on the TU website actually as an option for students. They also mentioned the student dorms, which are a good 45 minutes away, so I ruled those out. I'm kind of curious if any of the international students ever do housing together, I don't like the idea of a one room apartment. Malls and shopping don't really get me excited but I'm sure there's plenty to do. I want to get out of bangkok at some point though. Thanks for the housing recommendation, is 5000 baht a good price?

I do need to start learning the language, the only problem is I'm in the middle of rural appalachia (any Americans on here know what that means) and my college barely offers Chinese and Arabic, much less Thai. There might be a few international students on campus though.

I'll be a BBA student, hopefully taking 3 or so business classes (Intro to finance, production and ops management, marketing management) and a thai language class. That apartment does look good, it was mentioned on the TU website actually as an option for students. They also mentioned the student dorms, which are a good 45 minutes away, so I ruled those out. I'm kind of curious if any of the international students ever do housing together, I don't like the idea of a one room apartment. Malls and shopping don't really get me excited but I'm sure there's plenty to do. I want to get out of bangkok at some point though. Thanks for the housing recommendation, is 5000 baht a good price?

Rural Appalachia or not, by now there has to be a Thai restaurant in your area - that's what Londonthai is saying. Undoubtedly you can learn at least a few basics from the waiters or waitresses if you start becoming a regular customer!

5000 baht is $150 a month. I guess you can work that out for yourself whether it's a good deal or not...

Good luck!

Best of luck to you. I am a teacher and I am at the other end of BKK, but I know it can be difficult when your new. If you have any trouble, feel free to post and some of us will see if we can help you out.

What exactly is it that you wish to learn? This just doesn't make sense and seems a complete waste of money. You're going to be in a classroom or studying most of the time and using textbooks that are fairly similiar to what you have in an undergrad program back in the USA. If you have to work in a group for some projects you are going to be a disappointed puppy because the Thai students will gravitate to other Thais and will converse in Thai, not english.

I strongly suggest you reconsider this semester. What I do suggest though is that you consider putting the money aside and returning after you have your ungrad diploma. Either travel around for a bit, or enroll in a grad school course selection. There is a significant difference between the quality of the undergrad and grad students in thailand as well as in the quality of professors. I'm not saying not to do it, because I recognize that there is a learning opportunity in it, just that you will get more bang for the dollar and more out of the experience if you postpone it until you are at the right point in your life.

And since you are probably a healthy normal young man, I expect that you will ignore my comment and come anyway. So if you do come, please remember that if you show up for class in the standard Virginia Tech student uniform of a ball cap, flip flops, and shorts with your nads dangling out one side, you're going to get a can of whoop.

BTW if you think Blacksburg is bad, just remember that where you are going, the water supply is terrible, rainy season sucks, the green space available can fit in one dorm courtyard, and the population density will make you scream. A dorm room at VT has free access to 60 channels. You aint gonna find that here dawg. The cost of food and selection that you'll find compared to whats available on the VT campus is going to depress you. They don't do stock foods for the western style munchies here if you can feel me on that. Anyways, be sure to pack some Charmin. The 1 ply sandpaper here doesn't help when you get the beer squirts.

GK - I usually like your posts but that one was a bit negative.

My opinion is quite opposite to your's - I think it is a good idea.

Good on you OP for considering something completely different.

I am doing my MBA part time in Singapore with students of a completely different culture - mostly Chinese and Indian. You do learn a lot from them.

Oh and another tip, try to ignore the completely negative posts you see on here. There is allot of very useful information here but there is also allot of complete rubbish. Normally from bitter twisted posters that have had to leave their home country because of money issues etc.. When you first start to use the forum it can be difficult to tell the two apart and it can be quite a downer to read people slagging everything off.

I think its a great idea to study abroad, you will learn to live in a new country and experience real Thailand rather than just being on a backpacking holiday here. Don’t worry about the quality of teaching, the international programs at T.U are very good and they have some very good teachers. Im sure you will have a great time and I most likely will see you there. Some people share a room but normally its 2 people in a single room still. What’s wrong with a single room apartment anyway?

Haha, it might be a little difficult for my nads to hang out since I'm a girl. I'm also a pretty serious student, so it'd be better to not assume I'm some slacker in flip flops. I'm studying international business and management, and I love travel, so I'm combining my education with some travel. I chose Thailand because I didn't want to go to Western country, and I like the fact that not everyone speaks English. I lived in Germany for a bit when I was 16 and I didn't learn any German because the Germans I was living with refused to speak in German to me because they wanted to practice English. I have enough travel experince to know I'll probably have a period of hating Bangkok, but I'm also assuming I'll move past that. I've had my share of uncomfortable travel experinces, and I actually have traveled beyond the nice areas of Western Europ. Never said Bburg was bad, just that it lacked a noticiable Thai population. The only thing I can bitch about VT is how cold it gets here and how the drill field turns into a massive wind tunnel (have you actually visited or did you just look up some wiki entry on VT?).

madjibs - That's exactly what I'm after. I don't want a vacation, or a short trip, I actually want to live in another country longer than a month, and if that matches up with going to college then great. I don't like living alone, I guess I'm used to the communal nature of dorms and all that (I'm not codependant or anything, I just think living alone while you're in college is odd). I'll look at the apartment you recommended though, I'm gooing to get all the trip details sorted out in the next few months. Housing is atleast cheaper there than here.

Prakanong - I seriously think every business student just goes to Switzerland for the summer for their study abroad, kind of sad considering how much other markets are developing. I've noticied business schools in the US tend to ignore the world outside of North America and Western Europe. It's hard to get non-romance languages and to study abroad in other countries. I'm having a harder time than other people setting up my trip because the exchange to SE Asia is so unpopular at my school.

Jorinda

I think you wil find a lot of the business schools do not ignore Singapore, Hong Kong and Shangahi now.

Chicago is here as is INSEAD - they are the two most expensive in town at 180 k Sing Dollars

Then there a lot of other UK Biz schools who send out their prof's and lecturer's to teach en bloc.

I have never seen so many options in one city - there is money in it for them in Singapore and increasingly Asia. Competition is such though that some of the same degree's here cost half of what it would cost back home - mine is 50% of the cost for the exact same course as the UK with the same lecturer's - I can also take courses back in the UK and Hong Kong.

Hopefully I wil be taking a course in HK next March but will have to see about work committments - we have our regional annual conference just after it.

I would also recommend checking out Chiang Mai University if your school has an exchange agreement with them. Chiang Mai is a great place for a semester; far more livable and comfortable than Bangkok. Cheaper too, if that matters.

I teach part-time in the Thammasat BBA program and live in Chiang Mai, commuting weekly to Bangkok........

Edited by ricklev

I would agree that Chiang Mai is a nicer place to live than BKK, also if you are just studying for one semester it won’t really matter where you study, especially as in the end you’re still getting your degree from a U.S uni.

Richlev, how do you manage to comute that far! I would love to live in Chiang Mai if it was possible.

Edited by madjbs

What exactly is it that you wish to learn? This just doesn't make sense and seems a complete waste of money. You're going to be in a classroom or studying most of the time and using textbooks that are fairly similiar to what you have in an undergrad program back in the USA. If you have to work in a group for some projects you are going to be a disappointed puppy because the Thai students will gravitate to other Thais and will converse in Thai, not english.

I strongly suggest you reconsider this semester. What I do suggest though is that you consider putting the money aside and returning after you have your ungrad diploma. Either travel around for a bit, or enroll in a grad school course selection. There is a significant difference between the quality of the undergrad and grad students in thailand as well as in the quality of professors. I'm not saying not to do it, because I recognize that there is a learning opportunity in it, just that you will get more bang for the dollar and more out of the experience if you postpone it until you are at the right point in your life.

And since you are probably a healthy normal young man, I expect that you will ignore my comment and come anyway. So if you do come, please remember that if you show up for class in the standard Virginia Tech student uniform of a ball cap, flip flops, and shorts with your nads dangling out one side, you're going to get a can of whoop.

BTW if you think Blacksburg is bad, just remember that where you are going, the water supply is terrible, rainy season sucks, the green space available can fit in one dorm courtyard, and the population density will make you scream. A dorm room at VT has free access to 60 channels. You aint gonna find that here dawg. The cost of food and selection that you'll find compared to whats available on the VT campus is going to depress you. They don't do stock foods for the western style munchies here if you can feel me on that. Anyways, be sure to pack some Charmin. The 1 ply sandpaper here doesn't help when you get the beer squirts.

You make some compelling points, but completely ignore the fact that Thai universities are really easy compared to US universities, and the girls are far more attractive. I'd be interested to know if the OP has checked to make sure that all credits acquired at TU will be fully transferrable to whichever school he will be returning to. Assuming he returns, that is.

edit: I see the OP is a girl. You can disregard some of that then.

Edited by lannarebirth

My uni only has exchanges set up with Thammasat and Kasetsart. And yeah, I'm checking to see what credits transfer since the trip would be academically pointless and much more expensive if they didn't. Girls far more attractive? That's not fair...

I've heard good things about the quality of education, and even if the quality were lower I'm still not going to be taking many core business classes there. I think I'm limited at taking 3 business classes anyways.

What are good places to visit outside of Bangkok other than Chiang Mai? I've read a ton of websites that advise staying away from the southern border and the border to Burma.

There is loaaaads of places to visit. The south provinces can be dangerous as there is sporadic violence. The Burma border is generally fine to travel to unless you start trekking through the jungle towards it and try and cross it. There is hundreds of places you could go really, best to do some research and see what you fancy.

• 1 month later...
I personally have never had any negative experiences in Thailand. The seedy sex side is in no way a threat to a single girl travelling on her own.

Good luck!

On different occasions I read people reasoning that because of the seedy sex in Thailand being prevalent, normal 'good girls' are much safer. Otherwise there would have been much more rape cases.

it might be a little difficult for my nads to hang out since I'm a girl.

The only thing I can bitch about VT is how cold it gets here and how the drill field turns into a massive wind tunnel.

Then you still might want to rethink Bangkok -- worst air conditioning abuse of any place I've ever been to

Probably won't be helpful in getting you to learn Thai, but there is an organisation called the European Young Professionals which is basically a society for young professionals in Bangkok. They set up regular functions. Also your embassy will have some good events. I've been on exchange before, and while great, sometimes, it is good not to have a stilting conversation, and you are here to learn, and practial experience always beats a text book.

Also, if you are into sports, the Southerns Sports Club is a good place to meet people.

You never know, you may end up wanting to extend your stay a little and get some expereince in working in Asia, and the organisations I just mentioned are great ways to make a few contacts, and you might even be able to score an internship at some point.

try learn a few words, counting and polite greetings and stuff. You will be at TU and you will be studying with International students as long as Thai students who (should be able to..) speak english. I go to university here (not at TU but at another big uni in bkk) and I cant even try to practice speaking thai because everyone at school gathers around me to speak english with me.

Basically be prepared for your life to be ruined.. after you find out that you can be living life like this in bangkok, america will seem incredibly generic, boring, forced, and phony. Easily the best choice you have made in your life so far.

Edited by cooL_guY_corY