Chevy Optra 1.6 Good Car?

thaimate

just wanted to know if anyone has any information about this car ,as i drove a 1.6 with manual gears and it seems a good car .as i am thinking of buying one any feedback will be apreciated.

I looked at them at the motor show.

Interior doesn't seem as well finished as equivalent Japanese brands.

The finance on them is interesting. A friend just bought one 0% deposit , around 10k/month for 60 months.

Never driven one though.

Cheers

It's a rebadged Daewoo (i.e. a Korean car). If you can live with that, then fine. It's also the car that BBCs Top Gear use for their Star in a reasonably priced car segment (they don't say much nice about it, but then they wouldn't). It's called a Daewoo / Chevrolet Lacetti over there.

Bear in mind that the depreciation is much faster that that of Toyota or Honda, and don't believe any of the crap about it being an American car.

It's a rebadged Daewoo (i.e. a Korean car). If you can live with that, then fine. It's also the car that BBCs Top Gear use for their Star in a reasonably priced car segment (they don't say much nice about it, but then they wouldn't). It's called a Daewoo / Chevrolet Lacetti over there.

Bear in mind that the depreciation is much faster that that of Toyota or Honda, and don't believe any of the crap about it being an American car.

That's because it's Korean and so somewhat decent :o

Hi.

In Germany it's the "Opel Astra" and "Made In Germany", same car. So it's not "korean". It's a typical General Motors car, nothing special, neither best nor worst, made in many different places and sold under many different brands and model names.

Just to clarify that.

Thanh

Hi.

In Germany it's the "Opel Astra" and "Made In Germany", same car. So it's not "korean". It's a typical General Motors car, nothing special, neither best nor worst, made in many different places and sold under many different brands and model names.

Just to clarify that.

Thanh

Erm, no. The Optra most definitely IS Korean. It's made by Daewoo, and GM rebadged it as a Chevrolet to make it seem more upmarket. (Daewoo Lacetti). The Astra is a "completely different car", and "not the same at all" (Opel Astra). Just to reclarify. :o

just wanted to know if anyone has any information about this car ,as i drove a 1.6 with manual gears and it seems a good car .as i am thinking of buying one any feedback will be apreciated.

We purchased an Optra Estate 2 yrs ago, an excellent utility/family vehicle.

PRO'S

Ride quality (Euro Suspension developed/tuned by Lotus)

Quiet cabin (Virtually no wind/engine noise)

Economy (12km per litre)

Chevrolet service is good.

Very reasonable sound system

12V power points frount and rear cargo area.

Refrigerated glove box compartment.

Storage compartments.

Extras given free by Chevrolet: Vinyl seats, fog lamps, full set carpets, rust proofing, quality window UV film

CON"S

Chevys' 1.6 is no tyre smoker but no slouch either.

Summary: My family is very comfortable with our Chevy Optra Estate. I would buy another,

Although originally a Daewoo Nubira the car is now a GM car with bits from all over.

I was told that the big difference between the 1.6 and the 1.8 was that the 1.6 engine was made in Malaysia and the 1.8 has an Aussie Holden engine.

The previous poster is right about the suspension being lotus.

The gearbox is German.

The body is Korean.

The design is Italian (Pininfarina)

Upholstry Malaysian.

and it is all assembled here in Thailand.

My Optra came out before the estate version otherwise I would have gone for that - as it stands I will soon upgrade to a Captiva.

Rented an estate version for a month. Good all round performer. I think the estate version looks pretty sassy too. Would i buy one? Possibly, although when you consider selling on prices, hard to look beyond Toyota or Honda. If you are buying one to run into the ground however, it's good value.

I wanted to get one for my wife. I was thinking Chevy right.. After talking to my Thai brother in law I changed my mind. He told me that they are cheaply priced because they are made in Thailand, and "crap" as he put it in so many words. Personally i would never want to drive a car with the engine in sideways and only a right front tire for traction in the rain.

but after looking at how ridiculess the price of vehicles are in Thailand and the fact that the Chevy’s are half the price of any other car I would probably get one. But I would get one that was at least a year old and let someone else pay the first year depreciation which is the greatest. That way if you decide you don’t like it after a year and sell it. You will only loose $2000 instead of $7000.