Required Thai Language Teacher

happymanme

hi every one

i am looking for either a thai language course or an individual who can teach me how to speak ,read and write thai

the speaking part 1st as i know the rest will take time.

i would like either evening classes or sunday's

i am based in farnborough hampshire uk but can travel within 25 miles for the right course or teacher

thank you in anticepation

allan

happymanme -you may want to change that handle if you are coming here for a long period.

Anyway :o

Two methods should prevail

1. Community college/polytechnic for Asian studies specializing in language skills.

2. Visit a Thai restuarant. This should open the local thai community to you, whereby info on private tuition may well be forthcoming.

Or, go to the Thai Embassy (or call) they might help if they can be bothered.

29/30 Queensgate

London SW7 5JB

Tel: 0207-589-2944

Fax:0207-823-9695

Teach :D

i am based in farnborough hampshire uk but can travel within 25 miles for the right course or teacher

I'm in a similar situation and plan on enrolling in a course at the U.ofLondon in October. This is only about an hour each way on the train/tube. They offer year-round courses from beginner to intermediate to advanced. The course include reading, writing and speech. Here's a link:

http://www.soas.ac.uk/languagecentre/other/thai.html

reading and writing is easy.You can teach yourself.Small alphabet (unlike Chinese and Japanese Kanji).

grammar and vocabulary is simply a matter of memorizing, you'll build it overtime.

now speaking and listening is where you need native thai help !!

You can also contact the Thai Temple in Wimbledon. They have Sunday classes in Thai.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if this is true anymore. I spoke with some people at the Anglo-Thai Festival a few weeks ago, about local language classes.

They mentioned that people used to go to the Wat for informal classes. However, they also told me that the Wat had been taken over by some other organization and that language classes were not allowed to continue.

You can also contact the Thai Temple in Wimbledon. They have Sunday classes in Thai.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if this is true anymore. I spoke with some people at the Anglo-Thai Festival a few weeks ago, about local language classes.

They mentioned that people used to go to the Wat for informal classes. However, they also told me that the Wat had been taken over by some other organization and that language classes were not allowed to continue.

Anything is possible, however my daughter was studying Thai there until the end of June when she came out to Thailand for the school holidays. I have asked her and she knows nothing of any changes.

The Thai Temple is owned by the Thai government and is regarded as part of the Thai Embassy under a royal charter to provide cultural and religious teaching to those who need it, so it is unlikely to have been disposed of in any way.

I have not been to the UK for some years, but my association with the temple goes back to the early '70's, well before the Bot was constructed. I was, for a long time, and may well still be the only Farang to have been ordained as a Monk there.

(I was also responsible for starting and organising the original Thai food festivals, which were held in the temple grounds for some years before the festival outgrew them and had to move to Battersea.)

Anything is possible, however my daughter was studying Thai there until the end of June when she came out to Thailand for the school holidays. I have asked her and she knows nothing of any changes.

(I was also responsible for starting and organising the original Thai food festivals, which were held in the temple grounds for some years before the festival outgrew them and had to move to Battersea.)

This is good news. I must have been misinformed. I had wanted to go to the Wat for language classes, and was disappointed at first to hear that the classes were no longer being held. Now I'm pleased to hear that they still are and I can now check it out.

Interesting bit of trivia with your relationship to the Thai Food Festival. I knew that it had originating at the Wat, but was so popular that it outgrew the facilities. These food festivals seem to be the only way to get "real" Thai food around here. I go to the Thai restaurants around the city, but the menu food is really different from the homemade dishes seen at the festival.

Thanks P1P!!