Krime Against Falang And Turist In The Land Of Smiles

Larsbo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now everyone have stories about some one they know, who got robbed or violent assaulted.

I used to live in Pattaya. OK, I considered it as a Wild West Town according to the crime rate. Now I am in Phuket which is considered as a tropical paradise. I was warned by Thai friends the very first day after my arrival that the situation here is not much different from Pattaya anymore.

<br />It appears that they're going after valuables - not lives. Robbers seldom care about nationality, they primarily care about valuables and easy victims. If they can't find a tiny Thai female carrying a bag (known to at least contain a mobile), alone, on a dark place, late at night - then they may go for a farlang carrying a bag, alone, on a dark place, late at night - he might be a bit harder to get down than the tiny Thai female, but - on the other hand - he can be expected to carry more valuables than a Thai, right? ... And size of victims can be be handled by better weapons.<br /><br />While waiting for Thailand to solve its problems with poverty and such - take care not to be an easy victim out there.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Good advice and better than the crap some people are spouting here.

<br />It appears that they're going after valuables - not lives. Robbers seldom care about nationality, they primarily care about valuables and easy victims. If they can't find a tiny Thai female carrying a bag (known to at least contain a mobile), alone, on a dark place, late at night - then they may go for a farlang carrying a bag, alone, on a dark place, late at night - he might be a bit harder to get down than the tiny Thai female, but - on the other hand - he can be expected to carry more valuables than a Thai, right? ... And size of victims can be be handled by better weapons.<br /><br />While waiting for Thailand to solve its problems with poverty and such - take care not to be an easy victim out there.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Good advice and better than the crap some people are spouting here.

very good advise, especially elderly and woman alone , and drunk people ,

oops now almost everybody should watch out .

It is not just Thai-Farang crime but Thai-Thai crime is very bad too. Lets not forget this.

I could not care less about thai-thai crime, it does not involve me. This thread is Thai- farang crime. Start a thread if you are hot on thai-thai crime.

What an idiotic attitude you have, you sound like you have a very limited brain capacity.

I pity you.

Knew some visitors that wanted to try the Lemongrass Restaurant on Soi 24 but the taxi took them to a ripoff joint. They even asked the doorman if this was the Lemongrass Restaurant and he confirmed.

The assumed a language barrior caused the confusion as every body had the big Thai 'smile' and were so 'friendly'.

Next day, they were determined to make it to the Lemongrass so asked the hotel staff to write down the name in Thai, so there would be no confusion with the taxi driver.

Guess what?

Yes, the taxi dropped them off at the same ripoff joint again.

The 15,000,000 first time visitors to Thailand every year provide a steady flow of victims to these shamless conartists.

I suggest that anyone seeing a tourist getting cheated contact the Tourist Assistance Center at:

[email protected]

A Hotmail email address. How professional.

At least I'll be able to get them on Messenger and tell them about this thread! :D

Immigration use Yahoo :o

It is not just Thai-Farang crime but Thai-Thai crime is very bad too. Lets not forget this.

I could not care less about thai-thai crime, it does not involve me. This thread is Thai- farang crime. Start a thread if you are hot on thai-thai crime.

What an idiotic attitude you have, you sound like you have a very limited brain capacity.

He does. :o I believe though he is just a tourist who goes to Pattaya to play cards for a month or so. Hence the ridiculous attitude to the post.

JimmyCA ( aka Quality Tourist ) does not allow responses to flaming PM,s he sends to other members. So will post his personal message to me here on this forum.

( Me )What an intelligent, well thought out response.. Like Thai v Thai crime NEVER escalates to Thai v Farang crime? Get real. "

( JimmyCA) Did I really read that???

( JimmyCA) Are you retarded?

This guy does not live here, he is a tourist with his finger on the pulse. (I don,t think )

Looks like the Quality Tourist will soon be taking a holiday.

More "quality"

Now is anyone really loosing sleep over Thai on Thai crime? How about Malay on Malay crime, is that keeping anyone up at night? For some reason the sods who come to thailand want to be appear sympathetic to Thai issues which do not involve them. Crime is part of Thai culture and I would rather they attack each other than hassel me.

Very depressing topic, there is crime in every country. Funnily enough I've managed to live in thailand and se asia for 14 years or so and never had more than a grope from a 15-year-old boy. I always feel safer here than in England. Oh and the grope boy - I went to tell the senior monk at his local temple and he got a serious punishment

I guess if I was keeping score, it would be Thailand 0, the rest of the World 3 My car was broken into in San Francisco, attempted break-in of my apartment in Melbourne, and daughter assaulted in New York. :o One doesn't need to hide in a cave, just be aware of your surroundings, travel with others (if possible) and always seek the light........as in well lighted areas. :D

It appears that they're going after valuables - not lives. Robbers seldom care about nationality, they primarily care about valuables and easy victims. If they can't find a tiny Thai female carrying a bag (known to at least contain a mobile), alone, on a dark place, late at night - then they may go for a farlang carrying a bag, alone, on a dark place, late at night - he might be a bit harder to get down than the tiny Thai female, but - on the other hand - he can be expected to carry more valuables than a Thai, right? ... And size of victims can be be handled by better weapons.

While waiting for Thailand to solve its problems with poverty and such - take care not to be an easy victim out there.

I have an issue with this "It appears that they're going after valuables - not lives" statement.

They specifically target westerners as they know the police are in on the act and they think, despite the hundreds of thousands who live here, that johnny foreigner will be back on a plane home in a week or so and will forget about it to come back and get robbed again next year.

That is the short term mentality.

You know how Thais explain their terrible driving ? They want to get there now. So sod the laws or whatever lane they are in or anyone else, they are going there now. Same with assets. They want it and must have it now. Work, save up ? No &lt;deleted&gt; way, mug the foreigner.

Look at the attitude after the recent Phuket plane crash. Some top brass said foreigners were alright as they usually had insurance. So that is alright then, no worries about him dying because he has insurance to compensate his family.

The problem is that the criminals know that htey can probably do a deal with the police for a backhander and even if they cannot, the thought of XYZ years behind bars is no deterrent. therefore, there is no way for things to improve as the top will never allow the peasants more than the crumbs from the table.

More "quality"

Now is anyone really loosing sleep over Thai on Thai crime? How about Malay on Malay crime, is that keeping anyone up at night? For some reason the sods who come to thailand want to be appear sympathetic to Thai issues which do not involve them. Crime is part of Thai culture and I would rather they attack each other than hassel me.

This is a post on Thai-Falang crime not Malay-Malay crime, stick to the topic Jimmy boy.

He does. :o I believe though he is just a tourist who goes to Pattaya to play cards for a month or so. Hence the ridiculous attitude to the post.

More "quality"

You had mentioned earlier that could you care less about Thai-Thai crime, and why are you still mentioning it.

Now it's Malay-Malay crime, you only want to here about Thai-Farang crime. This obviously keeping you up at night.

Crime is part of every culture not just Thai culture. Nobody would want to see anybody attack on each other, of course you do.

Are you mentally stable or have personality disorder ? I think in Thai is ( pra-saat-sia ), please go see you doctor.

I'm not surprised by your comments, becasue I have seen couple of your posts that got deleted by the Moderator because of your bad attitude comments.

Funny or joking around is one thing, but you are bad.

The one comment that I can remember is when you are bashing about Farang woman.

May be you don't have a bad attitude, it's your personality either way go see your doctor.

:D:D:D

More "quality"

You had mentioned earlier that could you care less about Thai-Thai crime, and why are you still mentioning it.

Now it's Malay-Malay crime, you only want to here about Thai-Farang crime. This obviously keeping you up at night.

Crime is part of every culture not just Thai culture. Nobody would want to see anybody attack on each other, of course you do.

Are you mentally stable or have personality disorder ? I think in Thai is ( pra-saat-sia ), please go see you doctor.

I'm not surprised by your comments, becasue I have seen couple of your posts that got deleted by the Moderator because of your bad attitude comments.

May be you don't have a bad attitude, it's your personality either way go see your doctor.

Seems like a unaminous verdict JimmyCA. Time now to complain about the crime levels in your home town. :D

Oh ! Reading your earlier posts it seems like you come to Pattaya and try to arrange card games?

This is illegal of course...................in Thailand. ( for money )

No doubt you are playing for...................matchsticks??

Now that would be a crime !!

Stay in CA Jimmy.

The details of the crimes committed in the Phuket area indicate a similar MO...kicking out the back tires of motorbikes as they travel late at night on poorly-lighted back roads. Farangs would appear to be a priority target because the assumption is they carry cash and other valuables on their person. A secondary assumption would be that if they are travelling late at night, they are probably coming from a bar and have been drinking, making them an easier target. A third assumption would be that if they are a Farang, they probably are not armed. My guess is that we are dealing with a small group of offenders who work together to commit these crimes. If and when the Royal Thai Police arrest one of these suspects, they will probably then be led to three or four more suspects. After the arrests have been made, these crimes against tourists will probably go down for a while, then resume when a new gang moves in and begins committing the same crimes. There is no secret as to what is driving this crime rate in Phuket. It is ya-ba. The use of methamphetamines has been increasing at a frightening rate throughout Thailand. Until the Thai authorities get a handle on this very serious drug problem, all of us will continue to be at risk.

Incidentally, this is not just a problem isolated to Thailand. In the Philippines, the younger population has been decimated by "shabu" which is a highly concentrated form of methamphetamine that is smoked and not ingested as pills. And the United States also has seen "crystal" methamphetamine rapidly replace crack cocaine as the drug of choice among drug users because it is most often home grown and cheaper to buy than cocaine.

Frankly, we might not even have scratched the surface of the impact of ya-ba on the Thai populace.

Above post. True enough.

For those reporting about the crime levels in areas such as Pattaya and Phuket .......................you really should spend 6 months in my home cityof Manchester UK

My city far outstrips any level of crime in any location of Thailand. Jing jing.

Have you ever seen the crime figures for London and Birmingham? Nottingham?

I for one am glad to be in Thailand.

If a copy of the 'Pattaya People News' was handed out or on display at travel agents then thailand would be very short on tourists epecially the illusive breed known as 'quality tourists'.

In my opinion - 14 years in thailand - many thais resent and even despise foreigners. The agents of government (police) are quite open in targeting foriegners as a source of extra income for supposed minor traffic violations.

What a good example the police set to all thai citizens!

If my home town in the Uk (60,000+) had 100th of the amount of foriegners killed or murdered each year then it would be permanently taped off as a crime scene - thats not an exageration!

Above post. True enough.

For those reporting about the crime levels in areas such as Pattaya and Phuket .......................you really should spend 6 months in my home cityof Manchester UK

My city far outstrips any level of crime in any location of Thailand. Jing jing.

Your talking absoulute nonsense - there are few if any foreign tourists ever killed in manchester

Above post. True enough.

Google worldwide crime rates, if Manchester had as much crime as Thailand there would be no other crimes in the UK yes UK and thats not mentioning the crimes the Thai police let pass for a few extra Baht.

Take note of Phuket Gazette news reports over the next few weeks - there are now a group of local residents who will make sure that each mugging crime will be reported to this local newspaper. Most are not recorded by the police. As of today, there has been a violent attack reported to Phuket Gazette each night over the past week.

If all the different nationals on TV send a simple email to their respective national newspapers highlighting the massive rise in voilent crime against foreigners in thailand , then the thais may be forced to act.

Give them a list of publications - phone them! However, you may find that they are complicite by their their reluctance to print TRUTH.

Some years ago there was a spate of murders of foreign tourists arriving at Don Muang airport. They had taken unlicenced taxis from the airport and were taken off route then robbed and brutally murdered. (Many nationalitys) The foreign embassys - including the british - were well aware of this going on for some time but did nothing to protect tourists - in the name of diplomacy. The full extent of the murders only came to light when a british film maker returning from an assignment in LAO escaped from a taxi which had driven off route and the driver had pulled a gun on him. He was shot during his escape but lived to tell the tale!!!

If a copy of the 'Pattaya People News' was handed out or on display at travel agents then thailand would be very short on tourists epecially the illusive breed known as 'quality tourists'.

In my opinion - 14 years in thailand - many thais resent and even despise foreigners. The agents of government (police) are quite open in targeting foriegners as a source of extra income for supposed minor traffic violations.

If my home town in the Uk (60,000+) had 100th of the amount of foriegners killed or murdered each year then it would be permanently taped off as a crime scene - thats not an exageration!

14 yrs in thailand, how many times have you been murdered? and how many times have you been targeted by the police?

More "quality"

Yes my personality is different from yours and other sods. I realize this and it is the reason I am more sucessful.

As to your comment above, I can only guess that english is your second or third language and you sre struggling with a simple comparison.

More "quality"

Yes my personality is different from yours and other sods. I realize this and it is the reason I am more sucessful.

As to your comment above, I can only guess that english is your second or third language and you sre struggling with a simple comparison.

crime is definately getting worse ,when i first came here there wasnt anywhere i wouldnt walk alone ,now late at night i always go by car as motorbike snatch and grabs are the norm ,i know i was pulled off my bike a couple of years ago and rob of the nights takings ,spent 2 days in hospital and 2 months recovering ,i was lucky .to be pull off a bike at 40 miles an hour anything could have happened .

Crime in Thailand is on the increase, not just against farangs.

Ask a Thai to tell you what is on the national and local TV news or in the newspapers.

Malaysia, for all its restrictions, is very much safer. :o

More "quality"

Ok folks, lets leave Jimmy alone now. This is a very interesting thread and a serious topic for all of us who are concerned about our own Farang safety and the safety of our Farang/Thai/other spouses or children.

Above post. True enough.

Google worldwide crime rates, if Manchester had as much crime as Thailand there would be no other crimes in the UK yes UK and thats not mentioning the crimes the Thai police let pass for a few extra Baht.

I,m not stating that Manchester has more crime than ALL Thailand. I,m comparing it to any LOCATION. :D

You would be aware of course that a drugs bust with Marijuana in Thailand is a big crime. In the UK they probably receive a caution. That would not appear on any "google" .

Which site did you use for your assumption please? I,ve just looked at 4 and Miami ranks highest in 2 of them.

Manchester ranks higher than London in gun crime ( per population )

Statistics are easily manipulated.

You,re from London i think? Ever walked down Tottenham Court Road at 3am? Or taken a nice stroll in Brixton at 4am?

In terms of crime ( reported and unreported ) i think Pattaya is quite low down. IMHO ( with any amount of manipulated statistics available on Google ) :o

Above post. True enough.

Your talking absoulute nonsense - there are few if any foreign tourists ever killed in manchester

I digress. :o The following is copied from a site called porcupinenine. Quoting crime rates ( death ) by gun . I think that shows areas of Manchester are much worse than the related and same crime in Pattaya?

Quote: The same disparity can be seen in the UK. While the country as a whole has a low rate of murder, there are areas where the murder rate is high. In Glasgow, Scotland, the murder rate is 5.9 per 100,000 (cite). In London, by contrast, it's 2.1 per 100,000 (cite). In the Manchester metro area, it's 10 per 100,000. And in the Manchester neighborhoods of Moss Side and Longsight, and in the Manchester suburb of Hulme, the murder rate is a monstrous 140 per 100,000 (cite)-- which is considerably worse than Washington, DC, America's most murderous city.

Quote:

Statistics. A statistical nightmare. :D

Edited by Manchester

Above post. True enough.

You should know better. Cautions issued for low-level assault...........possession of Marijuana . These do not appear in your googled crime sites. Marijuana is taken seriously in Thailand, less so in the UK.

I would STILL prefer to be in Thailand than back home where i would be SERIOUSLY concerned about my wife going anywhere alone in the UK, at night.

Crime against foreigners here is quickly reported and seized upon by the doom and gloom merchants who want to portray Pattaya as the crime capitol of the world . :o

Fact is...........we all have much more access to instantaneous media now................internet, TV, radio etc.

Reporting is faster and accessed more readily.

Yes, foreigners are killed in Thailand. Point is? Thailand is now DANGEROUS for tourists? More so than home?

Look at the BBC website. You should see how many Polish nationals have been killed recently in the UK.

Edited by Manchester

14 yrs in thailand, how many times have you been murdered? and how many times have you been targeted by the police?

Targeted by the police on numerous occassions - never murdered but your obviously brain dead to ask such an idiotic question. Why do you try to undermine the truth - your kind are dangerous, I suposee you tell everyone how safe thailand is.