Krime Against Falang And Turist In The Land Of Smiles

Larsbo

:D EVERY DAY YOU CAN READ ABOUT CRIMES AGAINST FALANG.

It seems to get worse from year to year.

I like to hear your opinion about it and what can be done to stop or to minimice it to the level it was 10 years ago.

I lived in Phuket now for 12 years and came here for another 6 years, I have never feelt ansius to drive back on a dark road from a bar or diskotek, but now I am started to take only main roads with lights, can this be thye future for Phuket and Thailand ?

I knew Simon, my Norwegian nabo who was killed one month agoon the road between Kata and Rawai,

last week ago a friend of mine was knocked down from his motorbike with his girlfriend on the very same road and robbed, loosing all hes money, cridit card, pas and front teeth.

Try to open www.phuketgazette.com and search f.eks. for KILLED, ROBBED or STABBED --you will get a shock, 1000 of

atacks on falangs,

Will we in the future have to run around with knifes or guns to protect ourself and families like the worst cities of America.

I think that Thailand now is on the toplist of crime agaist turist of all the wolds turist destinations. :o

What is your opinion ?

Here is todays artickel from Phuket gazette

--------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Rawai attacks continue; Man survives machete attack

RAWAI: The late-night road attacks on motorcyclists in the south end of the island continue unabated, with two more reports of attacks in the last 24 hours and several others earlier this month continuing to pour in to the Gazette news desk.

Last night a 24-year-old Norwegian man, staying in Phuket on disability pension because he is officially registered as physically disabled in his home country, was kicked off his motorbike and robbed.

The attack occurred around the corner from Icon bar, where Australian tourist Sooz Lomas, 27, and a British friend were attacked on October 7.

The Norwegian man, who asked that his name not be reported, was robbed while he was still lying on the ground.

In Chalong about 1 am today, a foreigner who runs a business in Rawai was threatened by three knife-wielding teenagers. The attack occured outside a 7-Eleven branch located just 100 meters from Chalong Police Station.

A fight ensued and the police were called. The foreigner, who also asked that his name be withheld, told the Gazette that he was disappointed with the police response.

In breaking up the fight the officers seemed more concerned about him being a foreigner and involved in a fight than the knife-wielding teenagers, he told the Gazette in a telephone interview.

Also reported to the Gazette news desk today was an attack on another foreign tourist that took place at about 1 am on October 2 near Kata Viewpoint, the same area where Norwegian Simen Knudsen was murdered a week earlier.

New Zealand tourist Shaun Clotworthy, 49, told the Gazette,“I was heading down a very steep hill toward Kata and I was about three-quarters down to the bottom of the hill, where there is a sharp bend, when two men came from behind and kicked me off my motorbike,” he explained.

“As soon as I got up off the ground, one of the men attacked me with a machete. I was lucky I was wearing a helmet – the machete cracked it,” he said.

“I was able to get the machete off him, but then both of them pointed guns at me. It was very dark,

so I don’t know whether they [the guns] were real or not,” he added.

“They made off with my bag, which had my phone, camera and some books in it, but they didn’t get any money because it was in my pocket,” he said.

Another person soon came along on a motorbike and gave him a lift to the police box in Kata, where he handed in machete and police called for an ambulance to him to Patong Hospital, he said.

Mr Clotworthy needed three stitches in his left arm to closed the wound suffered from blocking the machete, he said.

In the fall off the motorbike suffered a bruised chest and serious abrasions, he added.

“In total I had 20 wounds. I was unable to shower for two weeks. The worst, which have still yet to heal, are the toes on my left foot,” he told the Gazette on October 23.

He reported the attack to Chalong Police on the morning of October 3, he said.

“I have no broken bones, I’m lucky to be alive,” he said.

“I am disappointed with the police. They don’t seem to want to tell tourists about what is happening here. They must be able to do something. These people [the muggers] are in that area all the time.”

Adding insult to injury, Mr Clotworthy was forced to delay his visa run to via Ranong due to his injuries. Although he presented Thai Immigration officers there the police report about his attack, he was charged three days’ overstay, he said.

ed in Rawai

RAWAI: Briton Bill O’Hare, 64, was attacked while riding his motorbike home late on Saturday night. He was hit in the head with a piece of lumber and kicked in the ribs before his attackers took off after they were startled by a woman who witnessed the crime.

“I was riding my bike up the soi from Rawai Minimart, opposite Nikita’s, driving away from the beach. I was about 300 yards up the road when it happened,” he said.

Mr O’Hare explained that while he was riding up the dark soi, a motorbike pulled up alongside and then he was hit in the head. “Then my back tire was kicked out, and that sent me flying,” he said.

“While I was on the ground I could feel a guy going through my pockets. They took my about 2,000 baht, credit cards and my driving license,” he said.

A woman nearby who saw the robbery shouted at the robbers, who then fled the scene.

“I was taken to the Freedom Bar where they treated my grazed leg and called the police,” he said.

Mr O’Hare moved to Phuket seven months ago, but has been a regular visitor to the island for three years.

He also sustained a cut above the right eye. “My ribs are still sore,” said Mr O’Hare.

“This has happened in that soi before. About a month ago three Thai girls were robbed there,” he added.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am always surprised to learn, that even travel agents in Europe still think Thailand is such a safe place, compared to other tourist-destinations in the area, such as Vietnam or Malaysia.....

one of the biggest problem in Thailand is the lazy and corrupt police, and I am sure they wont do anything to address this problem there in Phuket, until they get a Kick in the A.R.S.E by TAT or a local tourist association, when they feel that the tourist-Dollars are going to be spent at some other destinations....

one of the biggest problem in Thailand is the lazy and corrupt police, and I am sure they wont do anything to address this problem there in Phuket, until they get a Kick in the A.R.S.E by TAT or a local tourist association, when they feel that the tourist-Dollars are going to be spent at some other destinations....

As long as policing remains a for-profit enterprise rather than a public service occupation, nothing will change.

Phuket has gone down hill over the last few years IMHO. So many murders, so many against the foreigners, that support the Island in general.

Phuket is based solely on tourism / property and service in any shape or form, is null and void.

The Thai government has a lot of work to do in all aspects of this country and hopefully after the elections the country might stabilize a little.

When the whole country is unsure and have no real leadership in the government sector, what chance does it have?

Uncertainty breeds unrest and I think anarchy is just overlooked. This is what is happening in Phuket. IMHO. If the cops don't care, the hotels don't care, the government don't care, well why should anyone else? Anarchy!

Do what I did, move to a better place. :o

Edited by maipleur

Hi Donna or any other Moderator

Maybe this thread should be in with one of the other violence in phuket threads .

All similar topics in Phuket forum have been merged. Since not all members read Phuket forum it may be appropriate to let this one run in General as it discusses violence against foreigners in greater Thailand.

Would be interesting too perhaps , if somebody can find some links to sites who got a database on this subject .

Many crimes I guess are not even reported , so it will always be worse . :D

Here in Chiangmai it is also decreasing , many reports of robbing and shooting .

Notwithholding it is not only to farang ot tourists , Thai people themselves are

also unwanted victims of rising crime , its a fact so true .

Will not surprise me at all that the problem erose more after the topling of the previous

government , lots of needing people doing things to get things . :o

Would be interesting too perhaps , if somebody can find some links to sites who got a database on this subject .

Many crimes I guess are not even reported , so it will always be worse . :D

Here in Chiangmai it is also decreasing , many reports of robbing and shooting .

Notwithholding it is not only to farang ot tourists , Thai people themselves are

also unwanted victims of rising crime , its a fact so true .

Will not surprise me at all that the problem erose more after the topling of the previous

government , lots of needing people doing things to get things . :o

Sorry , to correct myself , I meant increasing instead of decreasing. :D

I am always surprised to learn, that even travel agents in Europe still think Thailand is such a safe place, compared to other tourist-destinations in the area, such as Vietnam or Malaysia.....

Up here in China if you are caught commiting a crime against a westerner the punishment is even greater than if you commit the same crime against a Chinese citizen. They really care how they are perceived in the Western world and crime against westerners is very rare.

I helped a US guy track down a girl that was scamming him as a sponsor, he sent her a few thousand dollars so she could use it as a bond to get a visa to go to the US. She was using a picture of a famous Chinese actress on her website. I tracked her down and reported her to the police. She had a couple of guys sending her money. She was sent to prison for 10 years for what is common practice with BGs in Thailand.

My close friend was attacked on Karon Beach.

Clubbed in the head while sleeping on a beach chair.

Pretty sure it was the cop from the nearby police kiosk wanting to rob him.

Crime reports are suppressed.

There is way more crime than people realize and the gov. tries to keep a lid on reports.

These beach resorts are the home of thousands of prostitutes and every one of them has an unemployed Issarn boyfriend loafing around. Many of them, small time criminals.

A doctor recently told me 280 Brittish died in Thailand last year.

Didn't see these deaths reported in the newspaper.

Edited by PadThaiGuy

Very depressing topic, there is crime in every country. Funnily enough I've managed to live in thailand and se asia for 14 years or so and never had more than a grope from a 15-year-old boy. I always feel safer here than in England. Oh and the grope boy - I went to tell the senior monk at his local temple and he got a serious punishment

NO! It's far more hideous than just always complaining fanta food! This is obviously a pack of lies and propaganda! How dare you smear Thailands name with these fairy tales! Thailand is perfectly safe and the police always try to help us although that never needs doing anyway because bad things never happen to us here.

Damian Mavis

Very depressing topic, there is crime in every country. Funnily enough I've managed to live in thailand and se asia for 14 years or so and never had more than a grope from a 15-year-old boy. I always feel safer here than in England. Oh and the grope boy - I went to tell the senior monk at his local temple and he got a serious punishment

with respect :o

To say the amount of crime in such a small community of Rawai is normal to every country is just ridiculous. This is not the Detroit or Baghdad, this is a sleepy little hollow on the southern tip of Phuket. Count how many murders, stabbings, assaults and robbery have happened over the last 2 months.. Its ridiculous and totally out of hand!

Seonai, if Im not mistaken, you live on Koh Yao Noi?

If so, there is no comparison to small Island communities, compared to the hustle and bustle of a developing international property / tourist destination. On the small slow developing Islands, they are nearly all 100% local people, who fish for food and live the way they have done for years. If trouble happens on these small populated Isalnd's, the local Poo Yai or the Kumnaan are called to mediate and in most cases they have known each other for years.. Totally different.

Phuket, Pattaya, Samui are emerging / over developing havens for theives and crime.

It is so obvious on this forum, that people compare Udon or Chiang Mai or Cha am, with the same inference that Thailand is all the same as those more laid back places.. It is not, your lucky, count your blessings!

Anyway, ill toddle off and take a breath.. :D

Seonai - you may be shocked and saddened to know that many of these savage attacks are happening AROUND THE CORNER from where you lived in Nai Harn. It's really awful - all of a sudden, our safe and beautiful neighbourhood is under siege by murderous thugs on wheels!!! :o:D

We are all aware that being westerners and in most cases better off financially than the local Thai, so those of us with any street smarts will also realise that we are attractive targets. But what a lot of us forget is that we are by no means the only targets, not one member of my wife's extended family has spent the last year crinm free, some have been robbed whilst riding their motorbikes, some were robbed whilst walking down the street, one of the ladies was shot twice in the arm (not robbery, but jealousy).

It is not just Thai-Farang crime but Thai-Thai crime is very bad too. Lets not forget this.

It is not just Thai-Farang crime but Thai-Thai crime is very bad too. Lets not forget this.

I could not care less about thai-thai crime, it does not involve me. This thread is Thai- farang crime. Start a thread if you are hot on thai-thai crime.

I quite agree Con artists are more :

Yesterday around wisutcasa / balhampuu area as I was walking to Tawaet market , I saw two Thai speaking to farangs , I just eared one said “ close today “ and the other group said ‘ stop here , see marble temple …

Like the banana fritter , the circle expending !

I got two girls visitors last week, family friend, I try to look after them , took them to chatuchak / and some other shops, exetera !

Story :

They stay at the INDRA REGENT HOTEL !

As I was busy two nights ago, I told them they could go to : once upon a time restaurant (already bit over price, but close by and nice surrounding).

They ask the direction to go there at the hotel , the concierge told them THEY NEED a tooktuk to go there , they follow the advice , the tooktuk took them to an other restaurant , drive in , ‘welcome to Thailand’ , menu NO PRICE ! Time for the bill ( 2 girls 21 year old ) 4000 BAHT !

Well, I told them, they was lucky, only money, and the place must belong to a high official anyway, memory experience.

Yes, give opportunity and you will be rip to the core!

Knew some visitors that wanted to try the Lemongrass Restaurant on Soi 24 but the taxi took them to a ripoff joint. They even asked the doorman if this was the Lemongrass Restaurant and he confirmed.

The assumed a language barrior caused the confusion as every body had the big Thai 'smile' and were so 'friendly'.

Next day, they were determined to make it to the Lemongrass so asked the hotel staff to write down the name in Thai, so there would be no confusion with the taxi driver.

Guess what?

Yes, the taxi dropped them off at the same ripoff joint again.

The 15,000,000 first time visitors to Thailand every year provide a steady flow of victims to these shamless conartists.

I suggest that anyone seeing a tourist getting cheated contact the Tourist Assistance Center at:

[email protected]

Same same in Samui and Pattaya. As long as Thai culture maintains an us vs them attitude and condones, YES CONDONES, this type of behavior these attacks will continue

I could not care less about thai-thai crime, it does not involve me. This thread is Thai- farang crime. Start a thread if you are hot on thai-thai crime.

Nice one Pal.

Great attitude, how about we get rid of all Thais from Thailand? will that fix things?

What an intelligent, well thought out response.. Like Thai v Thai crime NEVER escalates to Thai v Farang crime? Get real.

Edited by stevemiddie

Two things are obvious from the above two posts

1. It is difficult to comment truthfully on an issue which involves Thais without being belittled by fools

2. The quality of farangs in Thailand, never very high, seems to be getting even lower

It appears that they're going after valuables - not lives. Robbers seldom care about nationality, they primarily care about valuables and easy victims. If they can't find a tiny Thai female carrying a bag (known to at least contain a mobile), alone, on a dark place, late at night - then they may go for a farlang carrying a bag, alone, on a dark place, late at night - he might be a bit harder to get down than the tiny Thai female, but - on the other hand - he can be expected to carry more valuables than a Thai, right? ... And size of victims can be be handled by better weapons.

While waiting for Thailand to solve its problems with poverty and such - take care not to be an easy victim out there.

JimmyCA ( aka Quality Tourist ) does not allow responses to flaming PM,s he sends to other members. So will post his personal message to me here on this forum.

( Me )What an intelligent, well thought out response.. Like Thai v Thai crime NEVER escalates to Thai v Farang crime? Get real. "

( JimmyCA) Did I really read that???

( JimmyCA) Are you retarded?

This guy does not live here, he is a tourist with his finger on the pulse. (I don,t think )

Edited by stevemiddie

When I started this topic I did not count on so much response,

Good with many opinions and involvement.

When I arrived with my boat in Phuket in 1992 on a world navigation cruise,

I told people in newspapers and yachting magazines in my home county, what a lovely place Phuket was for yachties, and expats.

At that time we did not hear about violent crime against farang, or robberies from the anchored boats. I actually said that Phuket was one of the world’s best and safest places for tourists and that Phuket was one of the few places where you could leave your boat with out locking it and walk safe around after midnight.

That is all changed, now everyone have stories about some one they know, who got robbed or violent assaulted.

I know that other countries also have their problems, I traveled a lot, but the changes here came very quickly in matter of a few years, together with the increase of tourist coming to Thailand. I am still here, wondering, what happened to my tropical paradise, I wrote about just 10 years ago, and can something be done to get the old spirit back.