3 Quick Questions On Room Renting

h5n1

some time ago i asked how to say 'month by month' as in - i wish to let a flat month by month. the grateful response was only in thai phonetics w/o an english translation

i was esp confused by the word 'khao' (rice?!?!).

i do not want to find the thread becasue i had asked a few dodgy questions so better if i just ask again -

how do i say -

do you have a room? (mii hong dai mai khun krap?)

do you have a room i can i rent month by month?

'deposit'?

'how much per unit of"...electricity or water?' (tao rai noong unit fai/nam krap?)

if you could include the literal translation in english that would be super helpful

super thank you

Edited by h5n1

มีห้องว่างไหมครับ Mii hawng waang mai krap? (Have room free quest.part. pol.part)

มีห้องที่ให้เช่าเป็นเดือนต่อเดือนไหมครับ mii hawng tii hai chao bpen duean dtaw duean mai krap? (have room which let rent [manner introducer] month connect month quest.part polite.part)

[there is probably a more idiomatic way of expressing the above sentence but I cannot think of it right now...]

ค่ามัดจำ kaa mat jam (sum pledge/deposit)

น้ำ/ไฟฟ้า หนึ่งหน่วยคิดเท่าไรครับ naam/fai faa neung nuay kit taorai krap? (water/electricity one unit think how much pol.part)

some time ago i asked how to say 'month by month' as in - i wish to let a flat month by month. the grateful response was only in thai phonetics w/o an english translation

i was esp confused by the word 'khao' (rice?!?!).

i do not want to find the thread becasue i had asked a few dodgy questions so better if i just ask again -

how do i say -

do you have a room? (mii hong dai mai khun krap?)

do you have a room i can i rent month by month?

'deposit'?

'how much per unit of"...electricity or water?' (tao rai noong unit fai/nam krap?)

if you could include the literal translation in english that would be super helpful

super thank you

h5n1

as usual the mighy meadish comes to our aid.

i think where you were confused before was with the transliteration.

i hazard a guess, it was propably, mii hawng wang hai chao mai krap?

which means, do you have a free room for rent?

hope this explains your confusion about rice

I've sometimes seen (ค่า) ส่วนกลาง to refer to "utilities" (water, electricity, etc.)

In my own building, ส่วนกลาง is what they call the monthly maintenance fee, which includes water (but not electricity).

The first couple times I saw notices about that posted in the lift, when my reading ability was even worse than it is now, I mistook it for สวนกลาง - and thought that the management was trying to tell us something about the little terrace located about mid-way between the ground floor and the top floor :o

I've also heard "security deposit" referred to simply as ประกัน (e.g., insurance).

Can anybody confirm/debunk those terms?

Cheers.

I've sometimes seen (ค่า) ส่วนกลาง to refer to "utilities" (water, electricity, etc.)

In my own building, ส่วนกลาง is what they call the monthly maintenance fee, which includes water (but not electricity).

The first couple times I saw notices about that posted in the lift, when my reading ability was even worse than it is now, I mistook it for สวนกลาง - and thought that the management was trying to tell us something about the little terrace located about mid-way between the ground floor and the top floor :o

I've also heard "security deposit" referred to simply as ประกัน (e.g., insurance).

Cheers.

hey mangkorn,

in my understanding ค่าส่วนกลาง is roughly equivalent to body corporate fees, so should cover maintenance of shared facilities, gardening, perhaps a security guard or two, and so on.

all the best.

Cheers.

hey mangkorn,

in my understanding ค่าส่วนกลาง is roughly equivalent to body corporate fees, so should cover maintenance of shared facilities, gardening, perhaps a security guard or two, and so on.

all the best.

Thanks, aanon - that would certainly apply to condominiums. I have also seen it in movie subtitles to refer to basic utility bills (but, I suppose we all know how bad subtitles can be...)

Cheers.

ค่าส่วนกลาง comes from the English condo term of "Common Fee-Charge/common monthly maintenance fee". It includes whatever the common fee covers, e.g. common ground/utilities as applicable/etc. Whether the common fee covers utility depends on each management's decision.

"security deposit" = เงินประกันค่าเสียหาย or เงินประกัน or ค่าประกัน. เงินประกัน(ค่าเสียหาย) = insured amount (against damage).

มัดจำ or เงินมัดจำ may be understood, but is not that direct. It is more a deposit for down-payment, not a deposit for security .

So if the move-in amount is 10000, which includes 4000 for security deposit, but today u have only 2000 cash. That 2000 will be เงินมัดจำ as a down payment toward the full amount. you may come back the next day to pay for the remainder 8000. whereas the 4000 is เงินประกัน which you expect back after you move out without any damage, etc.