Fireflies

track61

I saw a firefly last night. Now I realize this is a bit wierd, but I just thought it deserved some sort of annoucement. I've spent a lot of time in this country and it was the first one I have ever seen. Didn't even know they hung out around here. I grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas and on those hot summer nights around dark, all the kids in the neighboorhood would hit the streets with their empty mayonaise jars, put in a few blades of grass, and see who could catch the most. We called them lightning bugs. And I saw one last night, flew right over my beer drinking area, and would you believe, at that very moment on the UBC piped in music channel, the Eagles were singing about that dam_n hotel in California. Ahh, life's simple pleasures. Mmmmm....... is this post exposing my senility????

Try a google of "fireflies thailand flash unison", or something like that. I want to see this phenomenon myself.

A Mystery of Nature: Mangroves Full of Fireflies Blinking in Unison

By Walter Sullivan. Mathematicians are embroiled in a new round of debate as they try to explain one of the leading mysteries in nature: why do trees full of Southeast Asian fireflies flash in unison?

The unusual insects, beetles of the family Lampyridae, have long fascinated scientists. Experts hope greater understanding of the insects' strange ways will help explain a number of analogous phenomena, including the synchronous firing of cells in the human heart's natural "pacemaker," the brain cells that emit electric signals in rhythm and the cells in the pancreas that control the release of insulin. A recent study of such pancreas cells has shown that they produce coordinated signals only when working in a group of 50 or more.

A number of mathematicians are now arguing that synchrony comes naturally to a variety of oscillating systems. These include not only fireflies but a number of other organisms and body cells that have a preferred rate of natural oscillation. Blinking Causes Debate

The fireflies live on mangroves and other trees found on riverbanks throughout Southeast Asia. The insects gained scientific prominence in 1935, when Hugh M. Smith, a biologist in Washington, described them in the journal Science. His report was greeted with widespread disbelief; some scientists called the blinking an illusion, others called it a fleeting coincidence. But his description has since been confirmed by the careful observations of many scientists.

"Imagine," he wrote, "a tree 35 to 40 feet high thickly covered with small ovate leaves, apparently with a firefly on every leaf, and all the fireflies flashing in perfect unison at the rate of about three times in two seconds." Between flashes the tree was in complete darkness, he said.

"Imagine," he continued, "a tenth of a mile of river front with an unbroken line of Sonnerati trees with fireflies on every leaf flashing in synchronism, the trees at the ends of the line acting in perfect union with those between."

They are very beautiful to watch floating through the air. I have seen many out in the sticks and can sit an watch them for long periods at a time.

No water close by but plenty of vegetation. Rarely see groups of them and I understand it is the male that glows green.

Glad you have also had the experience.

For me it is just another of those small, pleasurable wonders that many people miss in their lives.

See them every night on our farm in Udon, sitting in the hammock next to the pond putting away a Leo or two, the silent but beautiful fliers. I doubt you would get them in Bangkok, the water's too dirty.

As an aside I was wondering if any members have noticed how many times their resident gecko 'chimes'. Ours begins with a sort of throat clearing two syllable sound and then will launch into 7 'chimes' before ending with a sort of 'that's all for now folks' kind of sound.

I saw this phenomenon myself in Amphawa. I was really enthralled!

Then I saw some guy in a robe who called himself "Luang Poh Loh" up on a ladder.

He was hanging strings of white LED Christmas lights.

:o

I saw this phenomenon myself in Amphawa. I was really enthralled!

Then I saw some guy in a robe who called himself "Luang Poh Loh" up on a ladder.

He was hanging strings of white LED Christmas lights.

:o

:D:D:D:D:bah:

Go to the river front in Ampawah district Samut Songkrham and take one of the many boats that take you out on the river to see fireflies. Or come to my place in Wang Nam Kheo district in Nakorn Ratchasima and I will give you a beer and take you down by the ponds at night to see hundreds.

See them every night on our farm in Udon, sitting in the hammock next to the pond putting away a Leo or two, the silent but beautiful fliers. I doubt you would get them in Bangkok, the water's too dirty.

As an aside I was wondering if any members have noticed how many times their resident gecko 'chimes'. Ours begins with a sort of throat clearing two syllable sound and then will launch into 7 'chimes' before ending with a sort of 'that's all for now folks' kind of sound.

I think maybe you are talking about a Tukae. They say it is good luck if you hear 9 "tukaes" out of one after the throat clearing. My record is hearing 14.