Change Of Name For Police Stations

george

Change of name for police stations

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police will remove the words "district", "sub-district" and "tambon" from the names of 1,361 police stations in all nine provincial police regions within the next 10 days, a senior officer said yesterday.

The decision was made at a police administration meeting at which it was also agreed to rezone the jurisdictions of 39 police stations, mostly in Bangkok and surrounding provinces, to be of appropriate size so that officers can provide better service to the public, said police spokesman Lt-General Pongsapat Pongchareon.

Changes will be made to the jurisdictions of 31 police stations under the Metropolitan Police Command, four stations under Provincial Police Region 1, two stations under Provincial Police Region 3 and two stations under Provincial Police Region 8, he said.

Details of new jurisdictions will soon be available on www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th.

The national police chief earlier this month ordered the post of "deputy superintendent" at 253 police stations to be changed to "chief inspector".

The three new levels of police station based on size are: those headed by superintendents, which are the largest; those headed by chief inspectors; and those headed by inspectors.

This will improve efficiency and be easier for the public to understand, Pongsapat said.

-- The Nation 2007-10-27

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police will remove the words "district", "sub-district" and "tambon" from the names of 1,361 police stations in all nine provincial police regions within the next 10 days, a senior officer said yesterday.

The decision was made at a police administration meeting at which it was also agreed to rezone the jurisdictions of 39 police stations, mostly in Bangkok and surrounding provinces, to be of appropriate size so that officers can provide better service to the public, said police spokesman Lt-General Pongsapat Pongchareon.

Changes will be made to the jurisdictions of 31 police stations under the Metropolitan Police Command, four stations under Provincial Police Region 1, two stations under Provincial Police Region 3 and two stations under Provincial Police Region 8, he said.

Details of new jurisdictions will soon be available on www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th.

The national police chief earlier this month ordered the post of "deputy superintendent" at 253 police stations to be changed to "chief inspector".

The three new levels of police station based on size are: those headed by superintendents, which are the largest; those headed by chief inspectors; and those headed by inspectors.

This will improve efficiency and be easier for the public to understand, Pongsapat said.

i'm confused.

It would save a lot of time and effort for visitors to Thailand if they removed the words "Police" and "Station".

It would stop hundreds of people mistaking them for Police Stations and expecting the sort of services they would get from similarly named establisments in their own countries.

It would save a lot of time and effort for visitors to Thailand if they removed the words "Police" and "Station".

It would stop hundreds of people mistaking them for Police Stations and expecting the sort of services they would get from similarly named establisments in their own countries.

HA! Good one and so true, like I said before, I went in to the Thonglor police station to help my friend report her rape (expecting the police to you know... police or something) and they threatened to deport me. It must be very confusing to outsiders to go to a "police station" expecting them to do what police should normally do and getting wierd and bizarre results instead. Removing the word "police" from the building would indeed help thousands from making similar mistakes I am sure.

Damian Mavis

Sort of follows the trend of civilians freely wearing clothing or driving vehicles with the words POLICE or FBI on them.

Sort of follows the trend of civilians freely wearing clothing or driving vehicles with the words POLICE or FBI on them.

Welcome to Thailand - the hub of confusion.

:o:D

HA! Good one and so true, like I said before, I went in to the Thonglor police station to help my friend report her rape (expecting the police to you know... police or something) and they threatened to deport me. It must be very confusing to outsiders to go to a "police station" expecting them to do what police should normally do and getting wierd and bizarre results instead. Removing the word "police" from the building would indeed help thousands from making similar mistakes I am sure.

Damian Mavis

Sounds like when my sister-in-law was told by a "police" chief that they "deserved" to have their home broken into because they should learn to "share" with the poor. She has since moved back to the U.S. She is Thai, btw.

Edited by IAmMarchHare

Yes indeed, I have a few names for them which may be more suitable.

Change of name for police stations

-- The Nation 2007-10-27

TIT :o