Buying A Vehicle With Invoice Only

les Dennis

What future problems am I likley to encounter if I buy a motorbike from the classifieds that has no green book but has an invoice. Not sure if the invoice is of any use whatsoever and where is it likley to come from. Is it possible through the correct channels to get it registered. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks guys. Theres not actually one bike inparticular but it would be Japenese between 400 and 600 probably. So if it was a good price and I didn't intend selling it on, could I get insured? The lack of service book, although not ideal, i dont feel is a problem. Its more to do with getting it tax and insured, what do ya reckon! I want to be legal.

What future problems am I likley to encounter if I buy a motorbike from the classifieds that has no green book but has an invoice. Not sure if the invoice is of any use whatsoever and where is it likley to come from. Is it possible through the correct channels to get it registered. Any advice appreciated.
I have personaly ridden all over thailand with no plate and unregistered bikes,( owned 5 ).been stopped a few times, always for a purported offence,i just pay up and roar off, i have never been nicked or had a caution for no plate, it cant be illegal to sell them without docs as all the bigger bike shops have a mix of with and without, ive also competed in enduros all over thailand where 90 per cent of the bikes will have no plate or reg and the police usually stop all the traffic to let us go off together, dosent bother me in the least,.,. if in pattaya keep off the beach rd and road 2 though, they will stop you ,.( for money only ) ,.

Thanks guys. Theres not actually one bike inparticular but it would be Japenese between 400 and 600 probably. So if it was a good price and I didn't intend selling it on, could I get insured? The lack of service book, although not ideal, i dont feel is a problem. Its more to do with getting it tax and insured, what do ya reckon! I want to be legal.
You can definatly insure and tax a bike on the frame/chassis number, all of the guys i know have the discs on the bike and if you ask the insurance agent you will be told yes you are covered, .as for leagal as you say, ie with a book etc, expect to pay between 30 and 70k depending on make and engine size for a book, ( and that will be cloned details in many cases ) :o one of my bikes is registered as i ride across borders and in that case it does need a book,. Edited by mikethevigoman

I dont know about the rest of Thailand but I have ridden thousands of kilometres in the north and never had a problem. If your in BKK it might be different.
I almost feel its optional in some areas as i see as many vehicles up country without plates as with ,and that includes police bikes ! i have pics,. im trying to find them,. Edited by mikethevigoman

I have been stopped at least 15 times as well, never had to pay anything. Normally they just want to know where you come from and where you are heading, once they mentioned the lack of plates but they just said to get it fixed. Another time they asked for licenses but didn’t seem to care if it was a library card etc...

Thanks lads. Still not sure what do do but you have reminded me of the time I had a NSR 250 (in Bangkok) and was constantly getting pulled up despite being squeaky clean. So I would imagine that its not uncommon for officers to see a bigger than average bike and pull it over. I have never heard of a biker being pulled over from an officer that has driven up from behind him, seen the lack of plate and consequently waved him/her to the side.