Spiders In My Garden!

andyadam

Does anyone else in the area get these things, I think I have ID'd them as "Haplopelma longipes" sometimes called the Thai Tiger, can be quick to bite!!

I have now found 5 of them!! They live in holes in the ground about an inch or more diameter. All the locals we have asked just say, "Aroy, mak mak!"

post-3761-1193497047_thumb.jpg

post-3761-1193497122_thumb.jpg

A bit of both really, I do want to know if they are common around here, I've had the house about a year and the pat 3 weeks is the first time I've seen them.

My wife thought we may have brought them back from Chiang Mai, I was parking is some very off the beaten track areas!!

Yes i agree with Jamie, i would use nature rather than kill it (that's the Buddist in me). I would try and avoid them as much as possible but knowing they are there to help must be a good thing.

Regards

That's not only a Bhuddist thing.

I'd leave them there, especially since they are not venomous.

Yes i agree with Jamie, i would use nature rather than kill it (that's the Buddist in me). I would try and avoid them as much as possible but knowing they are there to help must be a good thing.

Regards

Nope!! big spiders not a good thing, no matter how helpful(even if they did all my housework for me) I'd get busy(or rather get the hubby busy) with the spray(that's the atheist in me,also the big spider phobia) and whereas they may not be venomous to adults, a one year old is a different story as not only do they pick things up they also tend to put them in their mouths!! Plus i'd be terrified they also get into the house.

Regards

Nope!! big spiders not a good thing, no matter how helpful(even if they did all my housework for me) I'd get busy(or rather get the hubby busy) with the spray(that's the atheist in me,also the big spider phobia) and whereas they may not be venomous to adults, a one year old is a different story as not only do they pick things up they also tend to put them in their mouths!! Plus i'd be terrified they also get into the house.

I am inclined to agree big spiders and toddlers do not mix! Get rid as soon as possible before there is a nasty accident. I would not like to see spiders like this in my garden or house, big spiders and snakes give me the hebbie gebbies!

Sure, arachnophobia is one good reason to eliminate spiders, however your fear of snakes and spiders will probably turn your children phobic too.

Unless a creature is toxic (eg. black widow spiders, venomous snakes), let the children learn to be comfortable with nature and learn about it rather than kill it.

Edited by tropo

Sure, arachnophobia is one good reason to eliminate spiders, however your fear of snakes and spiders will probably turn your children phobic too.

Unless a creature is toxic (eg. black widow spiders, venomous snakes), let the children learn to be comfortable with nature and learn about it rather than kill it.

True, but don't forget we're talking about a 1 year old.

I really wouldnt wanna have big spiders like that in my garden to.

I think the best thing is to get rid of them. Maybe there is a possibility not killing the spiders.

Anyway.. They are freaks of nature!!

The Buddhist way is all very well, but it can get you into trouble.

We had a snake in the garden yesterday, and my girlfriend insisted that I catch it and return it to the jungle over our back wall rather than kill it. As it was quite small (about 1m long and very thin) I thought I would give it a go, but donned sensible shoes and thick gardening gloves just in case.

After about an hour of grabbing it, and dropping it when it subsequently tried to bite me, my girlfriend asked a Thai neighbour to come and assist. He took one look at it and smashed its head with a big stick.

As he carried away the limp specimen he told my girlfriend that it was very dangerous, and could even kill!

Sometimes live and let live doesn't apply I am afraid.

Snakes I can deal with, I have a "snake stick" to remove them alive (which I have done in the past) and an air rifle to deal with the big nasty ones!!!!!

Back to the spiders, according to some of the articles I have read, these are a very aggresive spider and have mild venom (worse for a baby) and the people that keep these things as pets advise against handling them.

I have so far got close enough to take a pic on macro without incident. I am however thinking about the future, if I have a breeding couple where will it end!!????

I killed the one in the pic and did feel quite bad about it, I don't think I want to take the risk of the babe of getting bitten.

If I can find a safe way to remove then I will, but they live in holes about 8" deep (no jokes please boys, keep it clean!!)

We had a snake in the garden yesterday, and my girlfriend insisted that I catch it and return it to the jungle over our back wall rather than kill it. As it was quite small (about 1m long and very thin) I thought I would give it a go, but donned sensible shoes and thick gardening gloves just in case.

After about an hour of grabbing it, and dropping it when it subsequently tried to bite me, my girlfriend asked a Thai neighbour to come and assist. He took one look at it and smashed its head with a big stick.

As he carried away the limp specimen he told my girlfriend that it was very dangerous, and could even kill!

Absolutely wright..

Sometimes i have small snakes in my garden to.

The gardner rather kills it then making an attempt, twrowing it back over the fence.

Anywat it is more likely these spiders will do you or your family harm instead of bringing joy.

Yup. This is what I always find funny on snake-lover's sites where they rant on "how most people get bitten because they tried to kill the snake" and then in the very next paragraph go on about catching it and setting it free somewhere. Like there's a whole lot of difference in risk/danger between killing and catching.. :o

Edited by TheEmperorOfTheNorth

Is this a religious thread? At least agree the correct spelling for Buddhist!

Am I missing something? Is life perfect? Is everything in balance, look around WE have screwed the world - kill em, thats the human way! :o