Moving Apartment Within Bangkok

Emxily

I currently live in a studio and am moving a couple of km further down ramkhamhaeng road. I have a fridge, a couple of cupboards and cheap book shelves, clothes and 2 computers.

I can't afford the 10,000 baht for a company so how can i move my stuff? Any ideas? How have you moved in th past? I need a cheap option. Can't fit my big things in a taxi.

Any ideas and contact info for options is really appreciated :o

Thanks

I currently live in a studio and am moving a couple of km further down ramkhamhaeng road. I have a fridge, a couple of cupboards and cheap book shelves, clothes and 2 computers.

I can't afford the 10,000 baht for a company so how can i move my stuff? Any ideas? How have you moved in th past? I need a cheap option. Can't fit my big things in a taxi.

Any ideas and contact info for options is really appreciated :o

Thanks

There are moving companies a lit less expensive than that, they are the trucks sitting by the roadside with a sign saying 'Rot Hy Jang' or such like. Get a Thai to help, a Guard, at either end of move to find someone or better still a Thai friend who wil monitor the activities, it wont take long.

Edited by tgeezer

the sign you are lookig for is one that says, rot rap jang followed by a phone number, if you live om ram these are plastered all over the place.

depending on where you are and here you want to go to coupled with how much volume you have, you are probably looking at no more than a couple of hours work, i would pay no more than 1000 baht.

ask around where you live or at the other end, some one is sure to know.

Some how I think if you get creative with a Thai girl in tow, you can flag down any truck on the road and they will gladly assist you at 300baht. Keep in mind that is a full days pay for a factory worker. To earn that in just a few hours. ... should be no problem..!!

How far are you moving?

Generally, just walking around your neighboorhood will reveal a pickup truck available for hire. The price starts at about 200 baht for a trip, but could be higher if he has to go a long distance. If you see any type of truck parked around on the road with a sign on it, there is a 99% chance this is available for rent. (The other 1% being that it could be for sale. It will say on the sign, but if you can't read any Thai, that won't help you alot.) Any Thai person will be able to find you a pickup in less than an hour, guaranteed.

Next, you need a group of guys. 100 baht each to your local motorcycle taxi group for 30 minutes of work always does wonders and leaves them with a smile on their faces all day. You can also do 50, but at 100 baht you get all the help you could possibly need, and when you're moving, you generally don't have the energy to negotiate.

Your move shouldn't cost you more than 1000 baht. Now, if you are moving a long distance, the train and Ror Sor Por are your cheapest methods of transport.

Get boxes from your local recycling center. This is usually a shop house somewhere stacked up with what looks like trash. You may have to search for a while to find this. If you only need a few boxes, you can usually get them free from FedEx if you know someone who has a business account, or you can always purchase them at the post office.

Moving is terrible in any country, but at least in Thailand it is cheap.

I would suggest just going to your local motorbike gang and telling them you need a pick truck.

One of them always has access.

And as said you have a ready made work force.

Cheers

How far are you moving?

Generally, just walking around your neighboorhood will reveal a pickup truck available for hire. The price starts at about 200 baht for a trip, but could be higher if he has to go a long distance. If you see any type of truck parked around on the road with a sign on it, there is a 99% chance this is available for rent. (The other 1% being that it could be for sale. It will say on the sign, but if you can't read any Thai, that won't help you alot.) Any Thai person will be able to find you a pickup in less than an hour, guaranteed.

Next, you need a group of guys. 100 baht each to your local motorcycle taxi group for 30 minutes of work always does wonders and leaves them with a smile on their faces all day. You can also do 50, but at 100 baht you get all the help you could possibly need, and when you're moving, you generally don't have the energy to negotiate.

Your move shouldn't cost you more than 1000 baht. Now, if you are moving a long distance, the train and Ror Sor Por are your cheapest methods of transport.

Get boxes from your local recycling center. This is usually a shop house somewhere stacked up with what looks like trash. You may have to search for a while to find this. If you only need a few boxes, you can usually get them free from FedEx if you know someone who has a business account, or you can always purchase them at the post office.

Why not use a tuk-tuk? You'd be amazed how much they can fit in or strap on to those things!

Thats what i was gonna say. These guys can get so much stuff on their Tuks. Got one to pick my fridge up from near KSR and take it to my new place in Lad Prao in rush hour and i gave him 250 Baht.

I would suggest just going to your local motorbike gang and telling them you need a pick truck.

One of them always has access.

And as said you have a ready made work force.

Cheers

How far are you moving?

agreed, go to the motorcycle guys. mine do everything for me, pay bills, garden, fix things around the house, they have moved me on 2 occasions, they have moved friends etc....

Wow! Thanks everyone for your ideas and advice. We will probably ask some people at our local food area. It was great to hear what kind of prices to pay though, we didn't really have any idea :o It's always great to hear from people who have done it before. Thanks!