I-pod Use In A Car

taxexile

i would like to be able to play my i-pod in my car.

there is no input socket on the sound system in my vigo , but i have seen small fm transmitters that plug into the i-pod and transmit to the fm car radio which is then tuned to the frequency of the gizmo.

i have seen a belkin model at 3500b and various other models down to a chinese made one for 500b at klong thom market.

some of them have 2 or 3 pre set frequencies , and you choose the one with the least interference , others have a wider range of frequencies to use.

does anybody have any experience with these gadgets , do they work properly , is there a lot of interference from other radio stations , car electronics etc.

it wont be used if at all in bangkok where i know the wavebands are very crowded already.

thanks.

I got an iTrip, comes with 40 frequencies. Worked fine for me on many trips between BKK and our home in Isaan.

Setting the channel can be a bit fiddly until you learn it, and yes, problem with interference from local radio stations in some areas.

You just have to find one a frequency that is not in use, and that can be tricky here as there are so many local radio stations. I found that 96.1 is available most places.

What I got was more or less the same sound quality as out of the car radio. Happy with it so far, but then I am not expecting the world from the little gizmo either...

yes , but the cassette i-pod adaptors dont work with toyota sound systems

Why?

Cheers

i dont know why , but when i asked about the cassette adaptor the salesman asked me what car was it for and when i told him it was a toyota he said it wont work with toyotas system , it was a belkin adaptor and i asked in the i-pod shop outside asia books in the emporium. i think there was also a sticker on the box saying "not for toyotas"

thanks for the replies , i think i will ask at a sound system shop and ask about fitting a direct hook up ,

maybe there is a reduntant or spare input socket on the back of the unit

If you do decide to try the FM adapter, the 500 baht chinese ones are just as "good" as the 4500 Baht Griffin. I have a Griffin RoadTrip, total waste of money. Going to find a solution even if I have to replace the stereo in my Fortuner, but the FM thing is not it. Unless you like your digital tracks to sound like a radio station with poor reception.

If you do decide to try the FM adapter, the 500 baht chinese ones are just as "good" as the 4500 Baht Griffin. I have a Griffin RoadTrip, total waste of money. Going to find a solution even if I have to replace the stereo in my Fortuner, but the FM thing is not it. Unless you like your digital tracks to sound like a radio station with poor reception.

Agreed.

The tape adapter is better than FM transmitter but the best solution is a direct feed.

Cheers

I have tried the Chinese and the Belkin transmitter. I will sell them to you cheap!

I have been using the cassette adapter in my Toyota Tiger for some time now and it works great. My factory radio has CD and Tape player with the radio. If yours is the same it should work. BTW I also had a sales guy tell me that a CD changer that plays through the antenna wouldn't work either, but it works fine.