How Bad Is Acceptable?

quiksilva

As some may know Ive been taking lessons and hacking away at this game for something 3-4 months now and to be truthful I still dont feel comfortable taking a client out for a round of golf. (I'm okay with my irons but not driving -- curse that vicious hook, must swing slow and release before striking, but man it is easier said than done)

I have been getting a lot of invites to play golf with clients and business associates recently but Im a little edgy. My boss suggested that you ought to be shooting in the region of 100. Im not there yet (translation I still suck massively but I when I get into my swing I just love it!!)

What do you fellas think about that advice?

As some may know Ive been taking lessons and hacking away at this game for something 3-4 months now and to be truthful I still dont feel comfortable taking a client out for a round of golf. (I'm okay with my irons but not driving -- curse that vicious hook, must swing slow and release before striking, but man it is easier said than done)

I have been getting a lot of invites to play golf with clients and business associates recently but Im a little edgy. My boss suggested that you ought to be shooting in the region of 100. Im not there yet (translation I still suck massively but I when I get into my swing I just love it!!)

Too many factors to take into consideration. How good a golfer is the client? will he get annoyed if you keep the group waiting? is it important to win? are you going to play courses that destroy your confidence?......alot of Asians try to let the boss win without it being obvious.

Personally i would go for it. The only way to get better is to play more. Alittle pressure can be good for you. You can always explain to your clients you are a begginer. Most good golfers are willing to help you when your learning.

Use your 3, 4 or 5 iron to tee off instead of a wood. Helps keep the ball in play when you are good with irons. If the people you are playing with aren't serious (are not betting), tell your caddy you don't want to score and when you have a bad hole, just pick up your ball and wait until your friends finish and then go to the next hole. Tell your clients you are just starting (the truth) and don't want to slow anybody down. Then enjoy.

Once you take the pressure off of yourself, you will have more and more good shots and enjoy it much more.

Use your 3, 4 or 5 iron to tee off instead of a wood. Helps keep the ball in play when you are good with irons. If the people you are playing with aren't serious (are not betting), tell your caddy you don't want to score and when you have a bad hole, just pick up your ball and wait until your friends finish and then go to the next hole. Tell your clients you are just starting (the truth) and don't want to slow anybody down. Then enjoy.

Once you take the pressure off of yourself, you will have more and more good shots and enjoy it much more.

That is a good way to play..you can get to 'most' par 5s with four 5/6 iron shots and par 4s in three 5/6 iron shots. Too many people think that it is necessary to hit driver/wood off the Tee and its not. In fact why dont you try a round just using a 7 iron (and below) you will get a surprise.

That is a good way to play..you can get to 'most' par 5s with four 5/6 iron shots and par 4s in three 5/6 iron shots. Too many people think that it is necessary to hit driver/wood off the Tee and its not. In fact why dont you try a round just using a 7 iron (and below) you will get a surprise.

I agree with this if you want to score; without any 'release' the ball will go straight so 100 should be no problem after a little more time, three months is not much time. If you are middle age when you start you will probably never hit long enough, but you will have trouble accepting the fact. Call yourself a bogey golfer and don't join the long-drive comp which is most peoples game unless you can be sure that the ball has a better than 70% chance of staying in the short stuff. People hate a coward but if you don't think 'how' but 'how many' you will play better.

I had an enlightened moment with my caddy the other day. I had just hit my ball in the water and I burst out laughing. She looked at me strangely so I asked her, "What is more fun, to laugh or to cry?" "To laugh of course." she said. That's why I have fun playing golf.

Golf is the worst game on the planet, and I have a ball playing it.

Keep laughing.

good advice above.

yep for scoring think of it, par 5 550 yards for example,

driver (250 yards) - 3 wood (220) - chip (30) - 1 putt birdie....hmmm lots of possible errors.

OR

5 iron (165 yards) - 5 iron (165) - 5 iron (165) - pitch (60) - 1 or 2 putts.

safe route is pretty obvious.

the other thing to remember is that scoring is about chipping and putting,

anyone can learn this, its not like a regular golf swing, much easier.

learn to chip and you will save 10 shots a round.

-------------------

if you can't control your driver lust, then make only half a backswing until you develop your tempo and timing.

and dont forget the coca-cola swing tip,

"the pause that refreshes" - stop at the top.

-------------------

think how impressed your partners will be when you break 90 using only a 5, 7, 9, wedge, SI and putter!!!!

sometimes i have played in "4 club" competitions, many players score just as well as with a full set.

good luck out here......

• 3 weeks later...

You're going about it the right way by taking lessons and practicing. A score of 100 will be pretty easy to achieve using your methods. Focus on chipping and putting 50% of the time. That will take 5-10 strokes off a round and you'll see results quicker than the full swing.

It's actually a good sign that you're hooking the ball. Most beginners have horrible slices.

For me, part of the enjoyment is beating the bejesus out of the ball with a driver... especially when that 1 in 20 goes straight :o

Part of the problem is that I don't hit long irons well either. What I need to do is learn to relax more.

I had an enlightened moment with my caddy the other day. I had just hit my ball in the water and I burst out laughing. She looked at me strangely so I asked her, "What is more fun, to laugh or to cry?" "To laugh of course." she said. That's why I have fun playing golf.

Excellent advice.

Now if I only had a little bit more spare time to laugh :D

You're going about it the right way by taking lessons and practicing. A score of 100 will be pretty easy to achieve using your methods. Focus on chipping and putting 50% of the time. That will take 5-10 strokes off a round and you'll see results quicker than the full swing.

Also good advice. If not for my putting and chipping, I'd be double par...

A few years ago I was having a nightmare with my driver, so tried my 5 wood off the tee. As the club is more lofted it will forgive slight inaccuracies that the driver will not. I have developed my swing to the 5 wood now and am hitting nearly as far (sometimes as far) as the big hitting drivers I play with, but alot more consistently.

I still have nightmare games though, as I do not play enough (about twice every 3 weeks on avg). Last week I had such a game - big hangover from a party the night before. As mentioned previously, when you are unable to score just pick up so as not to hold up your group (I think I putted on about 10 greens last week). You will have games like this, but take it in good humour, with a touch of humility, and nobody will think any the less of you - they all had to start sometime.

I don't know if it the same game as before I lost my leg and a hel_l of a problem to play a game to play with only one but in those days the idea was to hit into the rough and then go there with the female caddy to find your ball

I have always felt acceptable golf was merely enjoying the game without detracting from the enjoyment of others in your group and those ahead and behind you.

Your comments are correct, but the issue is how to achieve that when you are playing with clients who come to Thailand to play golf and they play much quicker than you do. Hence, my comments early on in this thread to pick up the ball on a bad hole and cheer on the clients as they play. I played many, many times with clients when I first started and I fully understand the OP's question. The key is to let the clients have a great time without humiliating yourself as you want to do business with them.

I do remember one client (a global head) pulling me aside as he watched me struggle and telling me that a par 4 for them was really a par 5 for me. His comments were for me to tee off with an iron and try to get to the green on a par 4 in 3 and two put. If I did that, I could hit a 90, which would have been a great score for me. Even a 100 playing this way wouldn't hold anyone up.

• 1 month later...
I have always felt acceptable golf was merely enjoying the game without detracting from the enjoyment of others in your group and those ahead and behind you.

Your comments are correct, but the issue is how to achieve that when you are playing with clients who come to Thailand to play golf and they play much quicker than you do. Hence, my comments early on in this thread to pick up the ball on a bad hole and cheer on the clients as they play. I played many, many times with clients when I first started and I fully understand the OP's question. The key is to let the clients have a great time without humiliating yourself as you want to do business with them.

I do remember one client (a global head) pulling me aside as he watched me struggle and telling me that a par 4 for them was really a par 5 for me. His comments were for me to tee off with an iron and try to get to the green on a par 4 in 3 and two put. If I did that, I could hit a 90, which would have been a great score for me. Even a 100 playing this way wouldn't hold anyone up.

I agree entirely with the above comments, treat every hole as the par+1(minimum) or 2, so if on a par 4 think of a six as par for you etc. You will be amazed at your score, if you treat the game this way when you are starting out. DON'T get into the mind game of 'Can I hit it as far as him' A lot of ego goes into golf and normally it produces the wrong shot. Stay on the fairway and you will give yourself a chance - go off into the rough and you will only kill your score. The previous comments about the 'Short game' are very very true, just watch the pro's, ALL of them can knock the ball a country mile, but the ones that come in with the lowest scores are the ones that can chip and putt. Remember the old adage 'You drive's for show and putt's for dough' The other (very true one is ) 'The best wood in most beginers bag is the pencil' As previously mentioned, try using a 5 wood and nothing less until you get more confident - you will be amazed just how far you will get with this club and remain on the fairway. but for the last time 'practice the chipping and putting from 50 yards out - this is where the game is won and lost' Just you watch the people you play with and see how many times they get within say 10/20 yards of a par 5 in three and then take a minimum of 3/4 shots to get down - its true beleive me. Enjoy your golf and if you have not done it already, get some lessons in order that you don't ingrain bad habits into your swing. Many of the people that I have played with in the past have spent a fortune on new clubs every year, in the vain hope that it is going to make them a better golfer, but, I can count on one hand, the number of them who have gone and had lessons from a decent teaching pro, it is money very well spent. Just to finish with I must say that if you are 'hooking' as a beginer it bodes well for you, as most people ( as previously mentioned) 'slice' rather than 'hook', so you are most definitely on the right side of the swing ( and probably one in a thousand as a beginer that does this) - good luck, and keep practising until they nail the lid down - NOBODY will ever master this game in its entireity, you only allowed to have flashes of 'what might be' by the golfing Gods, and that is enough to keep you going from day to day.

As I quoted on another forum and this from one of the golfing greats namely ARNOLD PALMER:-

"GOLF IS DECEPTIVELY SIMPLE AND ENDLESSLY COMPLICATED. IT SATIFIES THE SOUL AND FRUSTRATES THE INTELLECT. IT IS AT THE SAME TIME REWARDING AND MADDENING - IT IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE GREATEST GAME MANKIND HAS EVER INVENTED."

I agree entirely with the above comments, treat every hole as the par+1(minimum) or 2, so if on a par 4 think of a six as par for you etc. You will be amazed at your score, if you treat the game this way when you are starting out. DON'T get into the mind game of 'Can I hit it as far as him' A lot of ego goes into golf and normally it produces the wrong shot. Stay on the fairway and you will give yourself a chance - go off into the rough and you will only kill your score. The previous comments about the 'Short game' are very very true, just watch the pro's, ALL of them can knock the ball a country mile, but the ones that come in with the lowest scores are the ones that can chip and putt. Remember the old adage 'You drive's for show and putt's for dough' The other (very true one is ) 'The best wood in most beginers bag is the pencil' As previously mentioned, try using a 5 wood and nothing less until you get more confident - you will be amazed just how far you will get with this club and remain on the fairway. but for the last time 'practice the chipping and putting from 50 yards out - this is where the game is won and lost' Just you watch the people you play with and see how many times they get within say 10/20 yards of a par 5 in three and then take a minimum of 3/4 shots to get down - its true beleive me. Enjoy your golf and if you have not done it already, get some lessons in order that you don't ingrain bad habits into your swing. Many of the people that I have played with in the past have spent a fortune on new clubs every year, in the vain hope that it is going to make them a better golfer, but, I can count on one hand, the number of them who have gone and had lessons from a decent teaching pro, it is money very well spent. Just to finish with I must say that if you are 'hooking' as a beginer it bodes well for you, as most people ( as previously mentioned) 'slice' rather than 'hook', so you are most definitely on the right side of the swing ( and probably one in a thousand as a beginer that does this) - good luck, and keep practising until they nail the lid down - NOBODY will ever master this game in its entireity, you only allowed to have flashes of 'what might be' by the golfing Gods, and that is enough to keep you going from day to day.

As I quoted on another forum and this from one of the golfing greats namely ARNOLD PALMER:-

"GOLF IS DECEPTIVELY SIMPLE AND ENDLESSLY COMPLICATED. IT SATIFIES THE SOUL AND FRUSTRATES THE INTELLECT. IT IS AT THE SAME TIME REWARDING AND MADDENING - IT IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE GREATEST GAME MANKIND HAS EVER INVENTED."

The group I play with all consistently beat me on the last fifty yards, they hardly ever get 'on' in reg. hitting average 220 yards but can chip and run through all the infinite variations of rough,second-cut, fairway and green. They can also carry the green if they have to, it takes too many years of experience

but unless they can get more distance (unlikely because of age) they are true bogey golfers even with the single-figure-over rounds. because of this it doesn't much matter how they swing, some are good and carry distance others low with some 'run' other times grounders, most of it making only twenty yards difference on a par four which they can 'cover'. Don't forget match-play is the answer if you want competition at this level.

Edited by tgeezer