Customs Fees For A Bicycle

I asked a similar question a couple of months ago here

At the time, I was debating whether to bring my old bike as part of our personal effects but there may be useful information for you in the replies.

In the end, I put the bike in the personal effects and it cleared customs without any problems last week. However, the paperwork from our movers said that it would be taxed at 49.8% of the CIF value (hence my initial reluctance to bring it!)

I guess the worst-case scenario for you is 49.8% of whatever the Thai Customs thinks it's worth. If it's new, you could probably use the original receipt to question their valuation if their valuation is much more than the actual value.

Some of the people who replied to my original question can probably help you more - they seemed quite knowledgable.

• 2 weeks later...
I had a friend bring mine over as part of luggage and there were no questions or issues whatsoever, no taxes, frowns or questions. If you can bring it in that way, its a safe bet.

This is the best way. I've done it many times. Just bring it in as checked baggage.

You may have to pay a fee to the airline; some charge some don't. If they charge,

it will be around US$50.00. You can go to www.imba.com and find out which airlines don't charge.