Policeman Killed

Policeman killed, 12 people injured in head-on crash

Nakhon Si Thammarat - A policeman was killed and 12 people were injured when a pick-up truck drove against the traffic and crashed head-on with the pick-up driven by the police.

Police Senior Sgt-Maj Santi Pholthaworn died at a hospital following the accident on a road in Tambon Salameechai of Muang district at 2:20 am.

Police said the pick-up truck driven by Bancha Hassakarn, 35, was trying to overtake a vehicle and driving against the traffic when it crashed head-on with the truck driven by Santi.

Bancha was severely injured and 11 crime monitoring volunteers of the Muang district police station inside Santi's truck were also severely injured.

The Nation

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sad for the policeman and his family but this is just another fine example of why road safety will never improve when law enforcement themselves still to this day do not follow the rules, even with simple passenger capacity limits.

The oncoming vehicle's deadly action is also nothing but the result of the total mess that has been allowed to develop on the roads over the years.

How many more years of complacency are they planning on?

Another bunch that went flying out the back of a pick-up truck.

2 killed, 11 injured in drunk driving in Suphan Buri

Suphan Buri - Two people were killed and 11 others severely injured when speeding pick-up truck overturned while they were returning home from a reunion party late Saturday night.

Police said they were former students of Banharn-Chaemsai School in Suphan Buri and returned to the province for a reunion party.

After the reunion party, they went to another pub and were returning home in the pick-up truck when the accident occurred at 12:10 am on the Don Chedi Road in Moo 8 village in Tambon Banpho of Muang district.

Police said the driver, Silawan Fakin, 20, lost control of the vehicle when it was approaching a curve, causing it to crash into a tree.

Police said Natthakit Chanchai, 21, and Chalasai Sumontha, 21, died at the scene.

The Nation

I live in Nakhon Si Thammarat and I do know this police man, and all I can say is that the NST police has lost one of the finest members.

He was usually posted outside Carrefour and he was always on the spot to help and guide people.

I came in contact with him a few years ago when they tried to learn some English. He was a very friendly man and kind hearted.

My thoughts are with his family.