Toyota Hilux Is Highly Dangerous According To The Swedish Motoring Magazine "teknikens Värld"

Kaysfeld

For all the Top Gear fans Jeremy Clarkson on the Toyota Hilux

Part 2

Of course I am a bit biased. My first car was a Toyota Hilux :o

Great entertainment, funny Australian advertisement, tough Toyota. :D

It will be interesting to see how well the Toyota Hilux will do in the Euro Cap test. :D

A shame the human body isn’t as tough as the car. :D

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do the Swedes know ?

they drive with their lights on in daytime !!

A.Partridge

You make it sound that driving with your lights on in daytime is stupid, when it in fact is very smart.

Like Jareddiving said, it is much safer.

Why do you think that that motorbikes have to have their lights on. For exact the same reason.

Bangkok Post: Workhorses fail to impress

http://www.bangkokpost.com/290208_Motoring...08_motor007.php

I couldn't help but notice that the Toyota Hilux was not included in the article you referenced.

And honestly, who buys a pickup truck as a family car. If you have the money you get a Volvo or Mercedes saloon or buy a people carrier if you are looking for the safest car to drive. People buy pickups for utility in most cases.

Most pickups I see on the streets are hauling cargo, or the bed is filled with workers.

And honestly, who buys a pickup truck as a family car.

C'mon Gunny, just look around you, there are hundreds of thousands of Pick-up's being used for non commercial purposes in Thailand.

Problem is in Thailand that the Tax is so heavy on imported cars, there is really very little choice for many people.

And as an ex pick up owner, I think pick ups are great all rounders.

I would certainly have no qualms about getting another if I so desired.

I always wanted a Vigo 4 Door 4WD, I think they are the Dogs <deleted> of pick ups. :o

Bangkok Post: Workhorses fail to impress

http://www.bangkokpost.com/290208_Motoring...08_motor007.php

I couldn't help but notice that the Toyota Hilux was not included in the article you referenced.

And honestly, who buys a pickup truck as a family car. If you have the money you get a Volvo or Mercedes saloon or buy a people carrier if you are looking for the safest car to drive. People buy pickups for utility in most cases.

Most pickups I see on the streets are hauling cargo, or the bed is filled with workers.

Most pick-ups are hauling nothing.. Most have nothing in the back.

I do mostly highway driving in my Vigo 4x4 auto dual cab. I run 32 PSI against the manufacturer's recommended 29 for unladen. Laden you should of course run a higher PSI.

the service station guys like to put 45 PSI in them. If this is the standard practice in Thailand, perhaps because so many pickups are overloaded, or because people are trying to squeeze a bit more mileage from a litre, then it's no wonder there are so many stupid accidents.

At 45 PSI the road contact area of the type is significantly reduced. If the tyre is also worn then in wet conditions the water shedding ability of the tread is also reduced which means the vehicle will aquaplane and loose grip easier. Simple physics really. A higher PSI will definitely not give you a smoother ride either.

29 PSI (or thereabouts) will give you the maximum road contact area and the best tyre profile for safety and longevity of the tyre. 40 PSI and above is asking for trouble, especially on tyres worn 50% or more aqnd especially so on wet roads.

Would anyone ride a motorcycle around with 45 PSI in the tyres ?

Edit: Just one more point regarding tyres...the tyres fitted to the Vigo in Thailand may be different to the tyres fitted for Swedish/European models as are likely the suspension settings. It's more than likely the Thai spec Vigo behaves differently, maybe better, maybe worse.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello everybody at the Forum

I need of your help.

I know there is a TOYOTA YARIS Store who have beautiful accesories and finish interior parts of Carbon Fiber, etc.

Who can tel me how to reach them?

Warm regards,

Vonedgar

[email protected]

A.Partridge

Much safer :o In a lot of European country's they do is..

You are seen much earlier then not driving with lights on.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In Chile, Sud Amerika have the same rule. Lights on day & night

Coincidence or… Went to Lotus in Phuket just a couple hours ago. Did some shopping and had a short look at some Pick-ups for sale on a stand there. When we ate dinner I told me wife about what I have read here about the Hilux. Here father owns one.

On the way home half an hour later passing Central and on the light curve turning against Phuket town a Pick up Hilux Vigo on the roof. Guess he have had some speed through that curve because it’s not exactly sharp. :o

Coincidence or… Went to Lotus in Phuket just a couple hours ago. Did some shopping and had a short look at some Pick-ups for sale on a stand there. When we ate dinner I told me wife about what I have read here about the Hilux. Here father owns one.

On the way home half an hour later passing Central and on the light curve turning against Phuket town a Pick up Hilux Vigo on the roof. Guess he have had some speed through that curve because it’s not exactly sharp. :o

It would be interesting to hear if others have had or seen similar accidents, where the pickups poor handling is to blame.

I have seen MANY upside down pickup trucks off both sides of the roads. Many of them are Toyotas but I always figured it was because there are more Toyotas on the road.

• 2 months later...

A.Partridge

"Not looking and seeing properly are major causes of accidents. "Be seen" by using your lights, even during daylight hours. This will reduce the chance of your going unnoticed by other drivers and minimize part of the problem." from Safe Driving at http://www.rversonline.org/ArtSafe101.html

A study by Avis Rent A Car showed a 64% reduction in car damages, and a 69% decrease in repair costs for cars equipped with daylight running lights. Their study didn't show though how many was saved from body injury and death. This probably doesn't count as much as the money saved on repairs, after all reparing the bodies isn't their problem.

The biggest problem with daylight running lights is that they make the car safer, but may make motorcycles less safe, because they can be mistaken for one of the front lights on a car with their lights on, if they drive just in front of that car.

• 4 months later...

I read in Bangkok Post Motoring that new Vigo is the only truck with ESC system in Thailand, but it might not be installed on all models.

"Just name it: leather seats, electric seat adjustment for the driver, cruise control, MP3 player, twin airbags and electronic governing the brakes and chassis. Yes, you read it: VSC which is stability and traction control in Toyota speak."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/241008_Motoring...008_motor61.php

Edited by Plus

I read in Bangkok Post Motoring that new Vigo is the only truck with ESC system in Thailand, but it might not be installed on all models.

"Just name it: leather seats, electric seat adjustment for the driver, cruise control, MP3 player, twin airbags and electronic governing the brakes and chassis. Yes, you read it: VSC which is stability and traction control in Toyota speak."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/241008_Motoring...008_motor61.php

That would be great if that is true. Does anyone have an Vigo with VSC?

I just wonder why they (Toyota) will sell a Vigo in Thailand with VSC, where most people don't care about safety and would rather save the money, and not in Sweden where people DO care about safety and will gladly pay the extra for an ESC system.

So Vigo is Bangkok Post favorite pickup.

I must admit that it look great and so do the Fortuner, but to say that it has tidy handling, doesn't agree with any other test of the pickup that I have read.

But maybe they don't expect to much handling wise.

Edited by Kaysfeld

Thank you Chicken Little...

Everyone , QUICK! Go unload your Hilux Vigo trucks, or else you will certainly die the next time you drive it!

Send this to everyone you know!

I will keep mine.

It is ok with me if you make fun of a serious issue.

Better stick your head in the ground then you will be safe, right

Accidents only happens to the others fools, right?

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you Chicken Little...

Everyone , QUICK! Go unload your Hilux Vigo trucks, or else you will certainly die the next time you drive it!

Send this to everyone you know!

I will keep mine.

It is ok with me if you make fun of a serious issue.

Better stick your head in the ground then you will be safe, right

Accidents only happens to the others fools, right?

This fool :o has been in enough crashes (I do not call them "accidents"; someone always screws up to make it happen) to know that they do not only happen to others. Some were my fault, some not.

We all have to find our own comfort level and live within it. Having had my Hilux Vigo Prerunner for several months now, I am very happy with it, and very confident with regards to the handling and stability of the vehicle. Is it the best-handling vehicle of its type? Probably not. Do I care? Not especially. I am well aware that it is a pickup truck, not a sports car, and I drive it accordingly.

For me it comes down to the confidence that I have in my driving abilities and experience (close to 1 million miles if not more). Much of that experience was gained driving absolute pieces of crap...farm trucks and even some over-the-road tractor-trailers that the steering was so loose you sort of had to "herd" them down the road. I do not want or need anti-lock brakes, airbags, stability control, etc. If the vehicle has these features, fine...but if it does not have them it is not a show-stopper.

This type of information is certainly good to have, but that fact that this study was done does not automatically make the Hilux a "death trap".

This fool :o has been in enough crashes (I do not call them "accidents"; someone always screws up to make it happen) to know that they do not only happen to others. Some were my fault, some not.

We all have to find our own comfort level and live within it. Having had my Hilux Vigo Prerunner for several months now, I am very happy with it, and very confident with regards to the handling and stability of the vehicle. Is it the best-handling vehicle of its type? Probably not. Do I care? Not especially. I am well aware that it is a pickup truck, not a sports car, and I drive it accordingly.

For me it comes down to the confidence that I have in my driving abilities and experience (close to 1 million miles if not more). Much of that experience was gained driving absolute pieces of crap...farm trucks and even some over-the-road tractor-trailers that the steering was so loose you sort of had to "herd" them down the road. I do not want or need anti-lock brakes, airbags, stability control, etc. If the vehicle has these features, fine...but if it does not have them it is not a show-stopper.

This type of information is certainly good to have, but that fact that this study was done does not automatically make the Hilux a "death trap".

Hear, Hear.

I'll agree with you 100%.  I think of it as passive population control.  Those who are ignorant SHOULD be weeded out of the gene pool; if you want a cheap safe vehicle that you can have illusions of being Herr Schumacher in to fit your bannana king mentality, move back to your host country.