Toyota Hilux Is Highly Dangerous According To The Swedish Motoring Magazine "teknikens Värld"

Kaysfeld

...Jetset, ABS will not do its job, it doesn't really have any - it's YOUR job to steer the vehicle out of the way, not ABS's. ...

I said I would steer straight. I did not say anything about ABS steering my pick-up.

... The actual braking distance actually increases, so if you don't steer you'll have HIGHER chance of not stopping in time in an ABS equipped vehicle.
On high-traction surfaces such as bitumen, or concrete, many (though not all) ABS-equipped cars are able to attain braking distances better (i.e. shorter) than those that would be easily possible without the benefit of ABS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system

Edited by JetsetBkk

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand your point, Kaysfield.

Are you saying that VSC is useless? No.

Are you saying that VSC is an unwelcome addition to Vigo that would have no effect on safety? No.

Are you saying that VSC will not apply breaks and slow the car down? No.

Are you saying that increasing the speed at which the driver is able to swerve and still stay on the road does not increase safety, even if it's only by 5-10 km/h? No.

My point is that all car should have VSC/ESP as standard because it makes all type of cars safer.

But the driver shouldn't think that the VSC/ESP make his car behave like a F1 car.

If you drive like you didn't have the VSC/ESP you will be safer with VSC/ESP.

But if you drive faster and take turns faster because of the VSC/ESP then you haven't raised safety, because you are just as likely to rollover as before.

They are very helpful in dangerous conditions that can happen any moment to any driver, experienced or not.

Toyota should be commended for equipping its trucks with VSC.

Whether it makes economis sense of not is an open question that each side would answer differently.

Let's say Toyota puts VSC in every truck and car which makes them more expensive and Toyota loses market share, meanwhile people who switch to other brands still drive "dangerous" vehicles. from public safety point of view the impact is less than anticipated. From Toyota's point of view loss of market share in unacceptable, the are in business first and foremost. The govt should make VSC mandatory for all makers if it really cares.

At this point no one can give a reasonable number on how many deaths/accidents could be prevented by such a move, they can't even get statistics on mobile phone use, for crying out loud.

Yes, they are dangerous, but they should compare them to all other allowed distractions like radios, dvd players. mini TVs, GPS navigators, hot coffee cups, breakfast boxes and so on.

I mean, why you can legally drive and watch a high tension TV drama and eat at the same time but not talk on the phone?

1. It's not a car, it's a pick-up.

2. I would never dream of doing anything else other than steer straight, hit the brakes and let the ABS do its job.

3. Once you've driven one of these 2 ton heaps of crap for a couple of days you know exactly what they are capable of - accelerating fast and braking fast, both in a straight line. But cornering? Forget it. I've driven one for over 5 years without an accident.

You're absolutely right here.

Therefore sold my Vigo 4x4, drive a normal car now.

Had to slalom with my Vigo to avoid accident and almost lost control, never happened to me after driving over 1 million kms.

And people are buying Fortuners :o ? Thought these are glorified pick-ups?

And people are buying Fortuners :o ? Thought these are glorified pick-ups?

'

Do I think of a Fortuner as a Pick up...ummmmm

It's built on the same platform, then again, so is the Innova, but I never see Fortuners described as 'Innovas', it's always 'glorified Pick-up'.

Then again, most of the remarks come from Pick Up Owners who can't afford a Fortuner in the first place, at least the Fortuner is glorified, the pick up is just that, a pick up. :D

I think The Toyota Vigo 4WD Pick Up is a great form of all round transport in Thailand, just as I'm sure the Isuzu and Nissan are too.

Pick-ups, and their same platform bigger brothers the SUV derivatives rule in a very limited choice market such as Thailand.

I'd like a BMW X5, but the 7,600,000 Baht price tag puts me off. :D

So my glorified pick up ( Fortuner ) will have to do, and guess what, for what they cost in this Thai crazy car price market, they're a bargain and worth every Baht, whereas the BMW is a very high price, and certainly not good value for money.

So, I'm afraid we will be seeing Pick ups and their glorified SUV derivatives rule the roost in Thailand for the forseeable future.

Edited by Maigo6

we will be seeing Pick ups and their glorified SUV derivatives rule the roost in Thailand for the forseeable future.

I'm afraid not - they can't compete on price with sub-compact cars like Jazz or even smaller "eco cars".

They can hardly compete against bigger Civic/Altis, even with lower taxes - people still have to pay for cargo carrying setup that limits interior space but is mostly useless.

Cheaper E10/E20 fuel and LPG?NGV conversions are also a lot more attractive than B5 diesel this year.

I'm afraid pickups will have to give up on replacing sedans for city folks, something they were hoping to achieve only a couple of years ago.

we will be seeing Pick ups and their glorified SUV derivatives rule the roost in Thailand for the forseeable future.

I'm afraid not - they can't compete on price with sub-compact cars like Jazz or even smaller "eco cars".

They can hardly compete against bigger Civic/Altis, even with lower taxes - people still have to pay for cargo carrying setup that limits interior space but is mostly useless.

Cheaper E10/E20 fuel and LPG?NGV conversions are also a lot more attractive than B5 diesel this year.

I'm afraid pickups will have to give up on replacing sedans for city folks, something they were hoping to achieve only a couple of years ago.

Yep, if I lived in a City full time, I'd have a Honda City or jazz, but for the ammount of travelling up country I do, Fortuner suits me better, I've taken out the 2 fold up rear seats and have masses of space.

I like the reliability of a diesel too. :D ( I've never had a car before that has given me ZERO problems in 3 years )

So, as far as I'm concerned I'll be keeping my diesel.

Sure I can sell it and buy a brand new Civic for the money I get, will I do that ? No.

But I may well be buying a Honda City for the missus (or her sister ! ) :o this year.

Good value car I think ( City ).