Chaing Mai Facing Blood Shortage

george

Blood shortage

CHIANG MAI: -- Maharaj Nakhon Chiang Mai Hospital is facing a blood shortage and has cancelled more than 40 operations indefinitely, a senior Chiang Mai University medical lecturer said yesterday.

Medical students are being asked to donate blood, and a campaign seeking more blood-donors is under way to meet the minimum daily requirement of 200 bags, up from the current 50 bags, said Dr Chairat Khunawikitkul, deputy Faculty of Medicine dean.

The Chiang Mai-based Red Cross can now give only a quarter of the blood reserves it has to Maharaj Nakhon Chiang Mai Hospital as the remainder is needed by other hospitals in the North.

Maharaj Nakhon Chiang Mai Hospital has 1,450 beds and treats around 30,000 patients from all 17 northern provinces every month.

-- The Nation 2007-10-03

Came across this in Citylife:

"Blood Donation

Join the nationwide celebration of the 80th Birthday of HM the King by donating your blood on the National Father's Day, 5th December, at the blood donation centre located on the 3rd floor of Kad Suan Kaew Department Store."

"Blood Donation

Join the nationwide celebration of the 80th Birthday of HM the King by donating your blood on the National Father's Day, 5th December, at the blood donation centre located on the 3rd floor of Kad Suan Kaew Department Store."

Nice one Tywais, see you there? In the meantime, there must be other schemes around.

I'm sure I've read something here in the past about blood donation but obviously wasn't paying enough attention. I used to be a registered blood donor in the UK - it was no big deal and they used to call up maybe three times in one year maximum, a good excuse for a lie down followed by a cup of tea and a biscuit! (I know, I know I'll go get my pipe and slippers . . . )

The Red Cross down by the American consulate is probably a good place to start and I will pop in but does anyone here know of an organised blood donation scheme in Chiang Mai?

JxP

"Blood Donation

I believe that blood has limited shelf life (although some extracted products can be stored for a long time) so regular donations are crucial to maintain supplies. I’ll try and attend this event and ask the question as to where and when could anyone drop in and make a donation but in the event that I don’t make could someone else please ask this question and post the response.

Well look what a little extra effort can turn up! :o

http://bloodbank.thaivisa.com/

Can any of the mods confirm if this is active? The useful links seem to be dead, I don't know if that's an indication that the initiative has flagged or not . . .

I saw that too but seems to not be being maintained. Shows 2005 at the bottom. Perhaps someone with initiative could be asked to bring it up to date. I did search Thaivisa and the web and was surprised how difficult it was to find any information on donating in Thailand much less Chiangmai. Even on the Thai Red Cross site there is very little info on provincial donation centers.

"Blood Donation

Can't attend, out of town then, but will pass this on to a friend who is a fairly rare O-neg. I'll happily spill some B-pos for a good cause, but is it true that there's a max age limit - and what is it please?

I believe that blood has limited shelf life (although some extracted products can be stored for a long time) so regular donations are crucial to maintain supplies.

Thanks for that, did a little research on it and found this:

"Blood has a limited shelf life. The different components of blood can last from 5 days to a year or more.

* Platelets must be used within 5 days of donation.

* Red blood cells may be stored under refrigeration for a maximum of 42 days. Frozen red blood cells can last up to 10 years, but because of the high cost involved, only a small portion of the blood supply can be frozen.

* Plasma is generally frozen and must be used within one year.

Because blood is perishable, new donations are needed every day."

Source: GiveLife2.org

There is a blood bank in Chiang Mai that is run by a group of foreigners. It's run by either the Raintree or the CMCC church (not sure which one). We signed up a few years ago and double checked two weeks ago to ensure that the blood bank is still operating. It is. There's info about it at the Raintree Resource Centre.

From what I've heard and read, there is enough types of blood around... except if you are RH neg.

Yes, it seems RH neg blood groups are quite limited in the Asian population. Australians, for example have 9% of their population with RH negative blood groups.

As a A neg blood type, I had to wait a week to get a unit of blood from BKK Red Cross before I could have a operation last month. When I went in a year ago on an emergency basis, there was a unit available on the first day but donors were found for the other two units given subsequently.

My thai wife has thalysemia-minor, a blood disease in which the red blood cells are either deformed, the bone marrow does not produce efficiently, or some other reason. Therefore, my wife requires a blood transfusion every 6-8 weeks. She's had this disease all her life, but until the past year, it has not been as critical as it is now. Maybe because of her age - 61.

Anyway, we've moved to CM permanently from the US a little over a year ago. I had so many various answers from the hospitals about blood donations, supply, and transfer of units between hospitals, etc.

You guessed it, I'm still in the dark about whom to believe. Two answers I was given and now I believe to be true. There is never (well, almost never) a blood shortage. The reason: whenever the blood supplies get low, the Red Cross calls on the military services to replenish their supply. This makes sense because I have never seen or heard of blood donation centers or blood drives. Though, people can always go to any hospital and donate if you want to. My guess is, the thai people do not visit hospitals unless absolutely necessary - so means not many blood donations.

Also, trying to get hospitals to cooperate and transfer types of blood from hospital to hospital - forget it, they won't take the time or energy to do this, even if a person requires a routine transfusion. We've been to two hospitals in Lamphun and three in ChiangMai for her transfusions. Now that we know how the system works we are relieved that there will always be blood available for her transfusions when required. The hospital that works best for us and was most helpful was McCormick. They have a small blood bank and equipped to accept donations. Matter of fact, one of my wife's neice's is the same blood type and was able to donate her blood direct for my wife (after cross check and disease screening of course).

And as someone posted earlier - blood does have a short self-life and must be used or frozen within 10 days (I believe I was told).

Another bit of info. Procedures and policies differ from hospital to hospital, and especially with Government hospitals.

If anyone has any specific questions, can PM me and I'll see if I have any answers (from our experiences).

Hi

Sorry if it has been indicated here before , but you can go to Nakorn Ping Hospital, on Mae Rim road. The blood donation room is # 104, the only problem is that it is always extremely difficult to find a car parking place..

I go there every 3 months, they send you a letter to remind you when you can go again.

I am A+, quite common blood type, but they take it anyway...

Hopes this help and that many of you will find the time to go...

Phil

Like ProThaiExpat, I am also A Rh-, Du-, a rare blood type for Asian populations. Unfortunately, I contracted hepatitis in Afghanistan in the 1970's, and I believe that precludes me from ever donating blood (and I have not done so since then). I truly wish I could help....

i found these links

blood bank donor registry

http://bloodbank.thaivisa.com/default.asp

Redcross

http://www.redcross.or.th/english/donation...wholeblood.php4

sidenotes:

if you plan to have an operation

start donating blood to yourself ahead of time to ensure availability of blood you can trust and not deplete sources for others in need, from an accident.

RACE and ETHNIC BLOOD TYPE ANALYSIS of Thailand according to

http://www.bloodbook.com/race-eth.html

Thai 75%, Chinese 14%, other 11%

Distribution of Blood Types

http://anthro.palomar.edu/vary/vary_3.htm

a quick look at both these sites tells me that in Thailand:

about 60% type 'O'

about 15% Type 'B'

about 15% type 'A'

about 10% type 'AB'

of all of these (statistically)

3/4 will be rh '+'

1/4 will be rh '-'

i'm A'-' so at best 20% of the blood in banks will be suitable for me as i can receive A'-' and O'-' (not so good)

i can however donate my blood to all A, and AB (+ and -) so that means a pint of my blood can help about 40% of the population (not so bad)

come to think of it ima donate blood real soon

wait what's that..no promiscuity or drug use... never mind... just kidding :o