Gregs New Sunrise Taco Place

PadThaiGuy

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im hoping they expand their menu. i love their food but i cant eat a taco burrito or nachos every time.

Don't take this the wrong way, but Sunrise is the best taqueria in the history of Thailand. And you want him to expand the menu. If you want something different than American style Mexican taqueria choices, how about another restaurant? Restaurants often just get weaker by trying to do too much and not focusing on their core strength.

A better suggestion is: get a location in Pattaya asap, OK?

Edited by Jingthing

"Don't take this the wrong way, but Sunrise is the best taqueria in the history of Thailand. And you want him to expand the menu."

Honestly I dont know how to respond without insulting you. Your post makes no sense whatsoever. What does sunrise being the best taqueria have to do with them not expanding their menu past three dishes? Perhaps you are unfamiliar with Mexican food if you think there are only three dishes?

three dishes

There are much more than three dishes. Whether you order a burrito or taco, you can have it in many different ways depending on whether you have chicken, beef, the marinated steak or vegetables; then there are all the different combinations of sauces, dairy items, vegetables and other fillings - I don't know exactly how many combinations there are, but I imagine it would be at least 50 or so. To say Sunrise only have three menu items is like saying a sandwich shop only has one menu item because all they sell is sandwiches. Or a burger joint only has one menu item because all they sell is burgers.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but Sunrise is the best taqueria in the history of Thailand. And you want him to expand the menu."

Honestly I dont know how to respond without insulting you. Your post makes no sense whatsoever. What does sunrise being the best taqueria have to do with them not expanding their menu past three dishes? Perhaps you are unfamiliar with Mexican food if you think there are only three dishes?

Let us talk this out rather than writing lazy veiled personal attacks. First off, what specific Mexican dishes would you like? If you are talking about expanded taqueria fare, well, OK.

I don't know Mexican food, eh?

I lived in Mexican barrios in the US for 30 years. I visited Mexico all over the country at least ten times. Where are you from?

I suspect it is you who doesn't understand Mexican restaurants. There are different kinds. Of course, I know Mexican cooking is vast and sophisticated, serving wonderful dishes like Red Snapper Veracruzano but a TAQUERIA is LIMITED to what are called in Mexico: ANTIJITOS.

The simplest taquerias offer tacos and sandwiches on Mexican bread in Mexico and tacos and burritos in the US. Burritos as you find at US taquerias and Sunrise are are a wonderful American enhancement on Mexican food because a classic Mexican burrito is just meat only in a flour tortilla.

Beyond these basics, you might also find these dishes at a taqueria:

quesadillas

flautas

enchiladas (more rare, usually a restaurant rather than taqueria dish)

tamales

sopes

tostados

Again, these are all more or less under the class ANTIJITOS.

A taqueria in Mexico, the US, or anywhere should stick to this.

Leave more formal Mexican dishes to full service Mexican restaurants, which there is already at least one in Bangkok.

Also, consider these points:

Sunrise hopes to franchise. If they have 500 menu items, that will make it too hard to maintain quality.

Haven't we all had the experience of going to a place that has 500 menu items and finding that the food is bad. And then we find out if we order maybe one of the five dishes they are good at, the food is good? That is what I am talking about. Focus.

That all said, I do have a special request:

WET BURRITOS

These are burritos served on a platter and then generously smothered with spicy red chili enchilada style sauce, shredded lettuce, maybe cheese, sour cream, sliced pickled jalapenos, and guacamole. The vast majority of taquerias do not offer this but I really love them and when they are offered, they tend to be popular.

BTW, thank you Greg for bringing this great taqueria fare to Thailand; we are waiting patiently here in Pattaya. Please don't wait too long.

Edited by Jingthing

three dishes

There are much more than three dishes. Whether you order a burrito or taco, you can have it in many different ways depending on whether you have chicken, beef, the marinated steak or vegetables; then there are all the different combinations of sauces, dairy items, vegetables and other fillings - I don't know exactly how many combinations there are, but I imagine it would be at least 50 or so. To say Sunrise only have three menu items is like saying a sandwich shop only has one menu item because all they sell is sandwiches. Or a burger joint only has one menu item because all they sell is burgers.

Are you serious?

I was under the impression that the new place is bigger and has tables to sit down at while the old place is going to be for take out orders. You really don't think they can expand the menu beyond tacos and burritos without imploding?

Anyways, thanks for the 500 word essay on Mexican cuisine.

three dishes

Are you serious?

Yes.

I was under the impression that the new place is bigger and has tables to sit down at while the old place is going to be for take out orders. You really don't think they can expand the menu beyond tacos and burritos without imploding?

Anyways, thanks for the 500 word essay on Mexican cuisine.

You're welcome.

Maybe they could.

I don't think they should.

I think they should concentrate on classic American/Mexican taqueria fare and prepare to open franchises all over Thailand. This is a winner, don't dillute it.

I could see adding new meats for the antijitos: I am a big fan of chicken cooked in black mole sauce, great in burritos!

I think maybe you don't understand Mexican food, where are you from? There is no reason whatsoever that a taqueria should serve any dishes outside this genre.

That said, what specific dishes would you like them to serve? I am just a cranky poster. You might get what you want, but first you have to say exactly what it is that you want.

For example, I love Mexican shrimp and octopus cocktails, But I know this is a speciality item rarely served at taquerias. So I didn't even ask for it. Taqueria dishes are a small subset of Mexican cooking, But a very good and very popular subset indeed.

Edited by Jingthing

Interesting suggestions, sounds like you have Tex-Mex or New Mexico interests. A standard taqueria would have none of those items though, but they all do sound good, but common enough to have tamales or enchiladas. I just don't see how a chain can work with a menu that oversteps too much. It would be like Subway offering roast turkey dinners or pumpkin pie. Its not that I don't love more choices, I just think from a business point of view, this kind of stretching tends to hurt quality.

Edited by Jingthing

I went there tonight. While it is open, it is not really open, yet. According to Greg, everything is not finished yet and he's not going to open until all's ready. The menu is still limited to tacos and burritos and everything still comes from the place across the way. Will have burritos tomorrow, he says.

I had some tacos and a giant burrito. The food was good and I've never seen such a big burrito. Had to have Greg wrap it up so I could take about half home for tomorrow!

But, things are still a bit disorganized. I'd say give him a few days or a week to get up to speed and then give it a try.

Had an opportunity to see the new improved SUNRISE TACO restaurant last nite.

Located in the Leader Drug Plaza adjacent to Suk Soi 12 and Times Square.

Beautifully outfitted.

Well done Khun Greg.

Thanks. Not 100% open yet at the new extension but we are getting there. Lots of people are taking advantage of the new seating. But still around 18 things left for the construction guys like the new sasa bar. Still we have served over 500 people in the new extension, this space was needed !

WET BURRITOS

We've been serving these with ranchero sauce for the past couple weeks at the Soi 12 location and just yesterday ( Sat) at the Emporium. We also are giving a chimichanga option at the Soi 12 location. You will also find a new option of grilling the burrito after we roll it or simply having it the regular way. These options should be on the order form.

I went there tonight. While it is open, it is not really open, yet. According to Greg, everything is not finished yet and he's not going to open until all's ready. The menu is still limited to tacos and burritos and everything still comes from the place across the way. Will have burritos tomorrow, he says.

Hi Lanny. In fact you had a wet burrito tonight. Thanks for stopping by.

I think what you were trying to say " will have enchiladas tomorrow" Enchiladas is on the menu at the new location. I have been slowly introducing the staff to new items. The special is called the " Santa Anita " and it will be with beef enchilandas.

We are serving red snapper fish tacos and burritos 24 hours at the Soi 12 location. Its the California Special.

Also have Caldo de Res soup ( Beef Veggie)

Other new items coming soon... " Texas" Chicken or Steak fajiatas.

Monster Meter Burrito

Party Packs

Dessert which has two options...

Mango Ice

Chocolate Chip Mexican Wedding Cookies

Black Coffee with unlimited refills while you are at the location.

Coffee with liquior

Kids meals

There are much more than three dishes. Whether you order a burrito or taco, you can have it in many different ways depending on whether you have chicken, beef, the marinated steak or vegetables; then there are all the different combinations of sauces, dairy items, vegetables and other fillings - I don't know exactly how many combinations there are, but I imagine it would be at least 50 or so.

Chipotle always says its over 1,000 combinations so you are right.

By the way we now have 5 delivery guys and are doing delivery 20 hours a day from 9 a.m. to 5 a.m.

www.sunrisetacos.com

www.sunrisetacos.com

For a moment there, I was thinking that your were teasing us all. I got a blank web page with that URL. That was in Firefox, then I used it in Microsoft Internet Explorer and there it worked. Your webmaster has to work on it some more. I don’t now if the results of this validation test will help him.

--

Maestro

I was curious too. A whole page full with a flash movie.

A very big mistake when you want the site to be readable for most people.

I would not say this webmaster should work on it some more, better

fire this one and get a new one. :o

In my opinion it is also too 'flashy' especially the banner that keeps changing.

It distracts and keeps pulling your view away from the content.

Scrolling through the menu is a little awkward (sp).

The content is there, just put it in some nice HTML layout with pictures next to the menu items. Your other websites from 'Sunbelt' are so much better.

Can't wait BTW to visit one of your Sunrise Tacos, Mexican food is one of my favourites.

The food was good and I've never seen such a big burrito. Had to have Greg wrap it up so I could take about half home for tomorrow!

Try Taco Loco at J city next to sala daeng BTS, bigger and tastier than sunrise. :o

Completely disagree with this, Taco Loco isn't a patch on Sunrise. Saborosa Mexican Grill in Ari, which I tried at the weekend, is better than Loco but neither are as good as Sunrise in my opinion.

This is great news. I've only been there once, but the food was terrific. I had a burrito but it was so good I ended up having tacos as well. I also saw that they were opening in a larger location. Even though I only pass through Bangkok from time to time, I told Greg (I assume that was who I talked to) that my favorite Mexican dish is cheese enchiladas and that if he could add that to the menu I'd love to try them. Glad to hear you will have enchiladas soon. If you don't sell non-meat enchiladas I'll still stop in and try the fish tacos when I'm in town at the end of the month.

The expanded space and menu are welcome additions. I prefer to dine in but they five or so seats are usually fully so I get take-out. And I encourage expanding the menu as it it always nice to have a few more options. Thanks to Greg, his wife, and everyone at Sunrise Tacos for your efforts; you are making a lot of people happy.

"We are serving red snapper fish tacos and burritos 24 hours at the Soi 12 location. Its the California Special."

OK, now you've got my attention. Chiang Mai branch is opening when?

As soon as you invest in a Sunrise Taco franchise in Chiang Mai :o

"We are serving red snapper fish tacos and burritos 24 hours at the Soi 12 location. Its the California Special."

OK, now you've got my attention. Chiang Mai branch is opening when?

why would he open in chiang mai when he hasnt even opened at a siam or silom location in bangkok?

Greg,

Utilizing your faxed menu and delivery service is no longer an option. I think you need to seriously reconsider how you provide that service.

I ordered from that today and it is the last time I will do so. More than an hour to get here, then the order is half cold and basically wrong or simply (referring to your nachoes) inconsistent and never the same, I can no longer waste my time with it. I'm sure if you go into your location the satisfaction level is quite high, but since I don't have time for that, I guess my Mexican meals will be confined to my US trips until you can get your delivery and order menu act together.

Dr. B