Wine In Laos

englishoak

Just having a read the other day and I noticed that apparently the choice of foreign wine in Laos ( Vientiene )is far superior and cheaper than in Thailand. :D

This is something that realy gets to me not being able to buy a nice Red. Or worse, paying a ridiculous price for some basic cheap plonk. :D

Can anyone confirm this ??. If so then I think a little excursion with the extended family will be on the cards. :D

Hmmm I wonder how many crates of wine you can get in a hilux or three :o

Yes wine in Lao is pretty cheap! You can buy a ok/decent bottle of red for around 60,000kip - just over $6 (about 220baht, £3.25), better stuff retails upwards of 80,000 to around 120,000 ($8ish - $12ish). That said you can buy stuff for 40,000kip also!

In the centre of Vientiane there is two large retailers with plenty of decent wine to choose from.

Never purchased any wine in Thailand to compare prices.

:o

Just having a read the other day and I noticed that apparently the choice of foreign wine in Laos ( Vientiene )is far superior and cheaper than in Thailand. :D

This is something that realy gets to me not being able to buy a nice Red. Or worse, paying a ridiculous price for some basic cheap plonk. :D

Can anyone confirm this ??. If so then I think a little excursion with the extended family will be on the cards. :D

Hmmm I wonder how many crates of wine you can get in a hilux or three :D

French wine is cheaper in Lao,by that I mean Vin de Table,Vin de Pais,a good Burgunder is as expensive as in France.

In Vientane ther are two good enoteque with a wide range of wines(not only french).

Did you ever try the Lao wine?I like the Cabernet from the Bojawen (spelling)Plateau,it's gettig more expensive every Year though. :o

More as your Toyota worth. :bah:

Edited by abdulrahman

I remember seeing a bottle of Johny Walker Blue label for 90 USD in a minimart in Vientiane last year. Normal price in BKK about 8,000 baht.

Picked one up about 6 months ago in Suwanna Duty F ...well someone gotta use it....and paid 5,400 for my bottle of Blue but they also chucked in a freebee green to go with it. :D ...so not 2 bad.

Going rate at Heathrow is around £100 with a free half bottle incl. :o ...Never buy the plonk in airports since its usually cheaper in my local tescos-morrisons -asdas..bottoms Up..etc..

• 1 year later...