Fahrenheit 911 Too Hot For Bangkok

george

I am very skeptical about the accuracy of Moore's coverage and treatment of events. I haven't yet seen his most recent film, but some of his other work was very questionable. A book is out now about MM called Michael Moore Is A Big Fat Stupid White Man...has anyone read it? I checked out the reviews on Amazon.com...very interesting.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the film in the US and a good part of watching it was the crowd reactions. Most of Moore's information is from news archives. The information is not new, but it was new to many in the theatre.

It's good to know US diplomacy is spreading "freedom*" by enforcing copyright law. :o

*Dubya's most over/mis used word.

Statement from FCCT:

Dear FCCT members,

The Executive Committee of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand would like to offer an explanation for the sudden cancellation of our screening of Michael Moore’s “Fahrenheit 9/11” scheduled for Wednesday, August 18.

We reconsidered the screening after receiving a call from the American Chamber of Commerce expressing concern that we might show an illegal copy of the film and violate intellectual property rights laws. It was later brought to our attention that the copies of the film available to us may not have been authentic.

We decided to cancel the event after receiving a second call from a lawyer representing the film’s local distributor who threatened to take legal action against the club if we went ahead with the screening. The lawyer said it would constitute a criminal offense, whether we had a legitimate copy or not, and that the club could be fined up to 100,000 baht for showing the film to a public audience without his client’s permission.

We regret that we were unable to show this important film to our members and appreciate your patience as we try to arrange for another screening of the film at a later date.

The Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand (FCCT)

Penthouse, Maneeya Center Building

518/5 Ploenchit Road

Patumwan, Bangkok 10330

Tel: 02-652-0580-1

Fax: 02-652-0582

I bought my DVD copy from a vendor in Sala Daeng. While I agree that some of Moore's statements should be substantiated better, most of what he writes in Stupid White Men is followed up by verifiable sources. So, true, while his research is not perfect and far from academically sound, it is definitely not a load of crap. For that, tune into the "fair and balanced" rantings of Fox News or some of the regularly featured conservative authors such as Ann Coulter.

And oh yeah, Boon Mee, I'm American and the last I checked that means I and others have a right to dissent, which definitely does not make me a communist. Views along the lines of your own and others who have a problem with opposition seem to be more in tune with communists.

Interesting how one person's take on events can inspire such massive fear and paranoia amongst Republicans and right-leaning individuals from Tucson to Thailand. Looks like he's struck a chord of truth somewhere, eh? Can't explain the reaction to a mere documentary film any other way. But banning is always a prelude to greater thirst amongst the masses to see the forbidden fruit, so I suspect that the Chamber of Commerce may have done the film's ratings a boost when it is finally released "officially" here. :o

I saw his expression and to be honest I think most would have been dumb founded! If anyone said prior to 9/11 that someone just rammed a jumbo jet into a skyscraper you would have laffed at them and called them lunatics. Probably didn't believe it and was in shock. He acted appropriately after and that is what counts!

Over 1,000 American's died from 9/11 and over 10,000 died all around the world due to his timely actions against war on terror. More to come when he get re-elected.

When Thaksin killed 1000 in south and drug lords, what a human rights record he got from west?

These films are useless. US Govt have killed enough people in the history of mankind, more than any other terrorist organization or any other govt.

Vietnam, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Middle east and add all other figures..Hitlar and BinLaden looks like kids compared to this record.

All those killings been justified as, precision guided killings with a good intention of protecting all of us against terror.

If anyone try to do movies about each an every incident, the number of days will not be enough to watch them.

I do not think these movies have any meaning other than a personal attack on Bush.

If anyone quote this and reply, please quote all and do not quote part of this and jump saying i am anti-American. :o

Michael Moore is blessed with a great talent for filmaking and mediocre talent for propaganda.

If he really wanted to make a strong movie, he would have talked about

(1) Bush Sr. giving FUNDRAISING SPEECHES for Rev SUN YUNG MOON. and the later donating over a million USD to the former. This is a guy who says "Americans who value their privacy and extreme individualism are foolish people."

(2) back door contributions. If you watched the movie, you would not assume that Bush was ding anything but looking out for his business partner. Its a lot cloudier than that. Right after Sr. won the VP in 1980, Jr's company, Arbusto Energy, was valued at about $360K USD. He was able to get a large Panamanian company (can't remember the name just yet) to pay 10 million USD for 10% share in the company. lets see... 360K x .10 = 36K = .00036x1,000,000USD More than a little fishy. (only one example .... He managed to procure 46+ million USD)

(3) Went into detail about his insider trading.

(4) Went into detail about his BCCI contacts. (Mostly through Harken, but not only) These are people who had a long track record buy buying politicians, lying cheating, stealing.

(5) portrayed Bush jr. as the brilliant politician that he is. The guy has a photographic memory and is an extremely effective propagandist. HE is the one that made the Willie Horton ads that sealed the '88 race for his dad. Same people made the slanderous ads about McCain's "black baby" and the "Swiftboat Veterans for Truth" That even FOX news is saying is out of bounds. James A. Baker paid for the darned thing!

(6) protrayed him not as a country bumpkin, an image he himself actively encourages, but as the slimy elitist that he is. His Texas ranch was built specifically for the election.

(7) mentioned that Bush's grandad, Sen. Prescott Bush, and great granddad, George Herbet Walker, sold Nazi war bonds in America, even after Pearl Harbor. Some of these went directly to the nazi war effort.

(8) honest to god- wants to legalize dumping of low level plutonium waste in landfills

(9) The prescription drug bill specifically prohibits negotiating volume based discounts. Ford gets a cheaper price for steel because it buys in volume. This is NOT running the government like a business. This is running the government for businesses.

Among many, many others. Bush is an extremely savy politician that doesn't give a flying fock about America or its interests. He is not fiscally conservative like Republicans are (and as I am) His policies are atrocius to any thinking person. They are a corporate giveaway to his "strong supporters"

Check out http://www.newamericancentury.org/ .... Its a think tank founded by Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, et al. Actually read what they propose. Think state capitalism, "Diplomacy by Force", secrecy, and greatly expanding the FBI/CIAs ability...

Just to make clear, I consider myself in the center in a lot of ways. But I am utterly ashamed, appalled and angered that a *criminal* like that can represent me in the world.

US Govt have killed enough people in the history of mankind, more than any other terrorist organization or any other govt.

Vietnam, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Middle east and add all other figures..Hitlar and BinLaden looks like kids compared to this record.

All those killings been justified as, precision guided killings with a good intention of protecting all of us against terror.

Are you being serious?

Do you not know what happened in Vietnam and WWII? Do you call a woman who kills a rapist out of defense, a murderer?!!!

It aggravates me so much if anyone would accuse the americans of being murderers for what they have done to Japan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would you still think the same if you were living in China during WWII?(say like your father, mother, brothers and sisters being raped/killed by the Japs)

And for Vietnam, who started the war? Go live in North Korea today yourself!!! :o

So many bloody idiots in this world!!!! :D

Kwiz117

You are absolutely right. They should of done it right. Put them in gas chambers

and ovens.

Moore's cut and paste job is equal to many news reports done on Thailands night life. It's a sleazey job and who better to do it than someone sleazer.

Over 1,000 American's died from 9/11 and over 10,000 died all around the world due to his timely actions against war on terror. More to come when he get re-elected.

When Thaksin killed 1000 in south and drug lords, what a human rights record he got from west?

These films are useless. US Govt have killed enough people in the history of mankind, more than any other terrorist organization or any other govt.

If anyone try to do movies about each an every incident, the number of days will not be enough to watch them.

I do not think these movies have any meaning other than a personal attack on Bush.

If anyone quote this and reply, please quote all and do not quote part of this and jump saying i am anti-American. :o

Unfair. Entirely unfair.

(1) Hitler (with an 'e') was one person. You are comparing 1 person with an entire nation.

(1a) You are saying that an entire nation is as bad as Hitler? You say "The US Govt. killed... but not Hitler killed... Please, match your catagories.

(1b) I will bet that the numbers of people killed by Germany, for example, in the last hundred years, are a lot higher than that by America. (not entirely sure, though)

(2) The english bombing of Drezden killed more people.

(3) The Romans participated in active genocide on numerous occaisions, as did many, many other nations through history. At least we gave the Native Americans reservations! That itself is better than a great many. (the janjaweed, for example) The Native Americans tried the same. Read up on the "Ghost Dance" (they just weren't very effective, b/c only 1% of their population was left)

(4) If you really want to get exact, try adjusting the numbers to the world population at the time.

You, sir, are indeed anti-American. I come to that conclusion because you do not apply the same standards to America as to anyone else.

We have a great antion that has a heck of a lot of high points. Perfect, no. Could a lot of things be improved? Most certainly-starting with the Bushes. (count up the number of iffy military actions by the bushs/regan and compare them to the entire history of the US)

I bought my DVD copy from a vendor in Sala Daeng. While I agree that some of Moore's statements should be substantiated better, most of what he writes in Stupid White Men is followed up by verifiable sources. So, true, while his research is not perfect and far from academically sound, it is definitely not a load of crap. For that, tune into the "fair and balanced" rantings of Fox News or some of the regularly featured conservative authors such as Ann Coulter.

And oh yeah, Boon Mee, I'm American and the last I checked that means I and others have a right to dissent, which definitely does not make me a communist. Views along the lines of your own and others who have a problem with opposition seem to be more in tune with communists.

Anyone who doesn't think there should be debate on a topic is an extremist. These people should be relagated to the skirts of society that they actually occupy. The ONLY way to have a fair, effective government is to have a free and open debate. Cause you never know- maybe, just maybe, someone is smarter than you are.

P.S. anyone seen "Outfoxed" yet? I hear its in some theaters now, although its already made at least 100K USD from purely internet distribution.

It didn't help the fact that he has an alcohol addled brain with a soft grasp on rational reality in the first place, but still.

:o

Here's a link where you can download Moore's "Dude Where's My Country?

http://michael-moore.chat.ru/Dude_Where's_My_Country.rtf

I've been unsuccessfully looking for the article from Vanity Fair relating to Bush's company, Arbusto, linked to the Laden family. Does anyone know where I could find it?

Penz :D

Moore was a loser in the auto factories and was fired and he blamed everyone else for it.

They had the worst products the worst work ethics and it was the straw that

finally demanded better from the industry.

What about 10 million people on the russian front that lost their life (nothing to do with americans). Kwiz is a muslim extremist hitler lover.

I've been unsuccessfully looking for the article from Vanity Fair relating to Bush's company, Arbusto, linked to the Laden family. Does anyone know where I could find it?

Bush is linked to much scarier people than the bin Ladens. Check out "Fortunate Son" by J.H. Hatfield. While some may scoff b/c he was implicated in a felony, the man had decades of experience as a reporter in Texas and the entire book is thouroughly referenced.

heres is the article.... (googled www.vanityfair + bush + bin laden)

http://www.911truth.org/readingroom/whole_...?article_id=251

See it for yourself- its a load of sh*te! Basically one man's opinion and skew on things - lets not forgt Mr. Moore has an agenda here. Regardless I think they should show it and let the audience decide for themselves.

Not really a documentary IMO.

Is there anyone, anywhere without an agenda?

It didn't help the fact that he has an alcohol addled brain with a soft grasp on rational reality in the first place, but still.

:o

Here's a link where you can download Moore's "Dude Where's My Country?

http://michael-moore.chat.ru/Dude_Where's_My_Country.rtf

Penz :D

try this link ....

Bush Money

Moore was a loser in the auto factories and was fired and he blamed everyone else for it.

What about 10 million people on the russian front that lost their life (nothing to do with americans). Kwiz is a muslim extremist hitler lover.

Well, he's certainly found his vocation in life now, hasn't he? Looks like the auto industry is well shot of someone with such a knack for film making and writing about the seamy underbelly of the "world's greatest democracy" and now it's bright spark leader. What concerns you so much Khun? about his career change? :o

Not gonna happen

Wait and see, some may think W is stupid, but the lad is a very shrewd politician and Kerry isnt much of a match for him. However guess well see 3 Nov. :D

Nah, we all think the Yale graduate (ooooooooooooooH!) and Texan think tank is a raving genius, who just can't express his great ideas coherently yet (without an autocue written by his puppetmasters), but give "the lad" another 4 years to prove himself, he'll be quoting Einstein and proving himself a master rocket scientist (as opposed to a master rocket launcher). :o

And just for the ###### of it Bush lovers:

"It is in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of FREEDOM; without this it goes to wrack and ruin without fail. It is a very grave mistake to think that the enjoyment of seeing and searching can be promoted by means of coercion and a sense of duty." - Albert Einstein.

Not gonna happen

Wait and see, some may think W is stupid, but the lad is a very shrewd politician and Kerry isnt much of a match for him. However guess well see 3 Nov. :o

Shrewd indeed. Indeed. The rest of his cabinet, too. Look at some of their plans.

More from the Project For A New American Century...

http://www.newamericancentury.org/Rebuildi...casDefenses.pdf

Page 26 (right hand column, left of the big quote) says:

"The United States has for decades sought to play a more permanent role in Gulf regional security. While the unresolved conflict with Iraq provides the immediate justification, the need for a substantial American force presence in the Gulf transcends the issue of the regime of Saddam Hussein."

It also says the US needs to be able to

*"Fight and decisively win multiple, simultaneous theater wars"

*"Perform the constabulary duties associated with shaping the security environment in critical regions"

constubalary? That does not mean "World Policing" so much as enforcing.

" The Project for a New American Century was formed with a number of specific purposes in mind. The first, and foremost, was to fundamentally reorganize the foreign policy standards of the United States, to change forever the way America deals with the world. The first step in doing this, according to PNAC, was to attack, invade and take over the nation of Iraq. This plan was codified in a scolding letter sent to President Clinton in 1998 which chastised him for not rolling tanks on Baghdad. The next step in the process, according to PNAC, was to invade and take out friendly and unfriendly regimes alike in the Middle East, thus ?Westernizing? the region through warfare and bringing our values to them."

( http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/091503A.shtml )

These guys are not on the level. These guys are looking for an empire. "Diplomacy by force." They advocate state capitalism. Sound familiar?

My question- how can I find this stuff- published on their own website, signed by the VP Cheney, Sect. Defense Rumsfeld, etc etc, and NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, CNN can't? What the he!! is going on?

Nah, we all think the Yale graduate (ooooooooooooooH!) and Texan think tank is a raving genius, who just can't express his great ideas coherently yet (without an autocue written by his puppetmasters), but give "the lad" another 4 years to prove himself, he'll be quoting Einstein and proving himself a master rocket scientist (as opposed to a master rocket launcher).  :o

Don't let the Texas drawl fool you. He's a wolf in sheeps clothing. Check out his test scores. You'll find consistently low grammar scores, but consistently high math and history. Even at Andover, where he transferred from Midland's public education system. He was also near the top of his class in pilot training. He was reportedly responsible for Bush Sr. beating Dukakis, and he was minimally involved in the '92 loss to Clinton. He's a seriously capable behind the scenes player who knows how to get things done.

He's smart enough, he's just evil. NOTHING he has done is in the US's interests. And britmaveric is right. Watch out for the sonoffabush.

Honestly I could care less who wins, all politicians are the same, not a honest one in the lot.

I just get a nagging feeling we'll be seeing another 4 yrs! I'd like to see what he might do with no re-election process hanging over his head. (might be interesting to say the least)

Well, he's certainly found his vocation in life now, hasn't he? Looks like the auto industry is well shot of someone with such a knack for film making and writing about the seamy underbelly of the "world's greatest democracy" and now it's bright spark leader. What concerns you so much Khun? about his career change? :o

Blind leading thee blind. Moore is the same as the others that report on Thailands night life. The guiding light of the poor he is not other than resembling a couch potatoe where he excelled at reading the normal grocery store rag (the star) and

the likes when he was unemployable. Then again sports stars are rich but I would not recognize them to be the brain power of society, but then like Moore they also get rich.

F911 is an excellent documentary. I think it was too conservative and it should have been more critical of Bush. He get away pretty well in that documentary. I was expecting more damaging evidence.

of course the Conservatives Nazis over at Bear Pit (the new NeoCon drinking place) will say otherwise as they are too afraid of the debates and the truth it would reveal.

Go see it, you won't regret it

See it for yourself- its a load of sh*te! Basically one man's opinion and skew on things - lets not forgt Mr. Moore has an agenda here. Regardless I think they should show it and let the audience decide for themselves.

Not really a documentary IMO.

Is there anyone, anywhere without an agenda?

i have an agenda but i don't fill it in :o

Getting back to the original subject: As an American, I'm incredibly embarassed by the US embassy's actions. America calls itself the "land of the free" and freedom of speech is supposed to be the most cherished of our freedoms, but the current administration is doing it's best to change our values and to change the basic character of the American people. I just hope that a change in administration will help roll back some of these changes.