Where To Find Chewing Tobacco?

Choscura

If I think right what you mean , you should go and have a look at Talat luang .

Inside the market , you know the big market near the river , near the nightbasar .

The call it 'Mak' right ? They spit it out after they chew it . Inside the market is everything

you need for that ! Cheers.

Inside the market , you know the big market near the river , near the nightbasar .

The call it 'Mak' right ? They spit it out after they chew it . Inside the market is everything

"mak" is really betel nut which is really acacia nut, the betel used is the leaf to wrap up the whole shebang. My g/f's mother eats it and the stuff they spit out is a mixture of betel juice and saliva - toxic stuff and stains everything.

Thais don't really use a different type of tobacco for chewing that you would use for smoking unlike in the US where they have special brands (Red Indian?). At the wararot markets in the back area of the old food market you will find stalls selling the ingredients. They have tobacco which is used to fill out the quid and adds a zing to the mix.

CB

"mak" is really betel nut which is really acacia nut, the betel used is the leaf to wrap up the whole shebang. My g/f's mother eats it and the stuff they spit out is a mixture of betel juice and saliva - toxic stuff and stains everything.

Thais don't really use a different type of tobacco for chewing that you would use for smoking unlike in the US where they have special brands (Red Indian?). At the wararot markets in the back area of the old food market you will find stalls selling the ingredients. They have tobacco which is used to fill out the quid and adds a zing to the mix.

CB

On occasion I dip Skoal. (dipping tobacco, not chewing tobacco http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skoal_tobacco ).. Anyway, I've indulged my habit in Bangkok before, and some of the local Thai's after investigating my can of Skoal, referred to as "yar sen". Has anyone ever heard this name before?

I've also chewed betel nut before when visiting Guam. Practically the whole island is addicted to it. The local Chamorro population calls it Pugua. I found it to be just ok. It really lacked any sort of "kick" and is really hard on the teeth.. The other thing I noticed is that I really didn't have the urge to spit like I do with tobacco.

CB

On occasion I dip Skoal. (dipping tobacco, not chewing tobacco http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skoal_tobacco ).. Anyway, I've indulged my habit in Bangkok before, and some of the local Thai's after investigating my can of Skoal, referred to as "yar sen". Has anyone ever heard this name before?

I've also chewed betel nut before when visiting Guam. Practically the whole island is addicted to it. The local Chamorro population calls it Pugua. I found it to be just ok. It really lacked any sort of "kick" and is really hard on the teeth.. The other thing I noticed is that I really didn't have the urge to spit like I do with tobacco.

Chewing betel is very common with northern Thais and especially in the mountains. The actual nut is from the acacia plant. They cut it with a special pair of pliers that have square bladed. The part they chew is inside the nut. The way they do it here is to dip a finger into calcium calcamate paste and dab it onto the betel leaf. Sometimes they put some tobacco as well then fold the leaf into a small packet. Then they bite the inside part of the nut removing the "nut meat" and chew that. The calcium activates the betel leaf and together with the nut and tobacco gives them a mild buzz. It is not anything major just a bit of a pick up for them.

Spoke to the g/f and she knows the stuff you are talking about but called it Yaa Sug. You can get it from the same places in Wararot. It comes either in small packs - basically shredded tobacco or in tins from India? I think this is the stuff you are looking for. She said that sometimes people eat that with a small amount of lime juice which is opposite for what is used with the betel nut. Lime is acidic and releases the nicotine from the tobaccco, lime is basic and activates the alcaloids in the betel leaf. She also said some people like to eat Yas Sug with cardomen seeds, cloves or similar for flavour.

She was surprised because has never heard of a farung doing this. I told her to watch baseball :o

CB

• 1 year later...

Can I bump this? We've got friends visiting; his birthday is today and he ran out of chew yesterday - grumpy birthday! He tried the shops in the night market area to no avail - can anyone suggest any other places? Or give good directions to the Wararot chewing tobacco area? He uses Kodiak...

and some of the local Thai's after investigating my can of Skoal, referred to as "yar sen". Has anyone ever heard this name before?
Spoke to the g/f and she knows the stuff you are talking about but called it Yaa Sug.

I believe, but I might be wrong, that Yaa Sen & Yaa Soup both mean tobacco, the former being Thaï, the latter CM dialect.

• 2 years later...

They do but they are imported from Sweden I think. I found some at Phuket at the 99 store near The Old Phuket Resort. It is called ETTAN comes in a tan can and orange label. Looks like Cope. Another one is called GENERAL LOS. I have not seen any in Bangkok yet but would try an international market. I hope this helps out any future readers.

Edited by pixelkore

They do but they are imported from Sweden I think. I found some at Phuket at the 99 store near The Old Phuket Resort. It is called ETTAN comes in a tan can and orange label. Looks like Cope. Another one is called GENERAL LOS. I have not seen any in Bangkok yet but would try an international market. I hope this helps out any future readers.

Can I bump this? We've got friends visiting; his birthday is today and he ran out of chew yesterday - grumpy birthday! He tried the shops in the night market area to no avail - can anyone suggest any other places? Or give good directions to the Wararot chewing tobacco area? He uses Kodiak...

Why didn't the visitor bring with him sufficient stock, not exactly rocket science to work out how many days X how many gobfulls!

Why didn't the visitor bring with him sufficient stock, not exactly rocket science to work out how many days X how many gobfulls!

Not everyone realizes that Thailand is a Third World Country where common products are unavailable. (Sarcasm intended.)

btw, BB1955's link above -- www.svensktsnus.co.th -- doesn't work.

Not everyone realizes that Thailand is a Third World Country where common products are unavailable. (Sarcasm intended.)

btw, BB1955's link above -- www.svensktsnus.co.th -- doesn't work.