Mobile Internet At 2.4 Mbps Over Cdma Cellular Network

Barin

I have bought a brand-new EV-DO modem in Singapore for $300, can I use it in Thailand on CAT CDMA network?

Is anyone using an EV-DO modem in CAT CDMA network? What is the real speed of this connection?

I'm just going to be watching this thread....however, I do know that Hutch/CAT use the 2000 band, rather than the 2100 that's common in the rest of the world (or is it vice versa?).

As far as I know both Hutch and CAT CDMA networks are operating in the 800 MHz band. Someone told me that there is also another CDMA network in Thailand which is operating on 450 MHz.

Laos is using only CDMA 450 MHz.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

You can call CAT and find out. The website is catcdma.com, I am sure they have a number. CAT was very friendly when I signed up, the guy there spoke very good English too. I find the cdma "standard" so confusing that I don't dare predict whether or not your modem will work.

I have a CAT USB modem with EV-DO - the speed is at or around 50 / 600 up/download in Kbits/second.

It's very fast compared to EDGE. It's noticeably slower than DSL except when the DSL is acting up which is quite a bit.

I haven't used CAT very much, maybe 10 hours - this is my backup connection. Impressions:

- Lag is worse than DSL, e.g. the time that passes from when you hit a link in the browser to the time things actually start to load is longer. But it's still OK, less than 1 second.

- Download speed is not terribly fast but plenty for comfortable websurfing and he odd download. Don't expect to Bittorrent the latest DVD rips with this.

- Upload speed is very slow.

PS: BTW, you can't get CAT cdma in those regions in Thailand that are covered by Hutch. There's some weird not-making-much-sense agreement between the two companies that enables roaming for phones but not data. Even if Hutch offered data roaming, you wouldn't want it because they only offer CDMAx1 speed which is 150Kbits/s, as slow as EDGE in real life.

Edited by nikster

For what it's worth, Hutch says they use the 2000 band, and 400-700 kb/s(50-87.5 kB/s) on their network. CAT's wonderful website (grey text on white background) also says the same speed, using the same band. Only good thing I can see is that for those upcountry, having a CDMA 1x connection would give you EDGE like speeds where they'd be stuck on GPRS otherwise. As far as how well the respective companies take care of their customers.......TIT, so buyer beware.

On a positive note for the cdma users, both CAT and Hutch, the two companies have agreed in principle on a deal where Hutch will hand over their network to CAT in the 21 odd provinces they are active, but Hutch will take over the marketing & management (billing etc) of the complete CDMA network (which then will have nationwide coverage).

Hutch is also upgrading to EV-DO, several places in the Pattaya area already offer the higher speeds.

Basically this would mean that both CAT and Hutch users soon will have nationwide coverage, both on voice and data service!

Just can't find the bloody article anymore :o

There is a very interesting article about EVDO technology in Thailand on Entrepreneur :

QUALCOMM Incorporated (NASDAQ:QCOM) , a leading developer and innovator of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) and other advanced wireless technologies, today announced the launch of its Wireless Reach initiative in Koh Panyee and Ban Pakkoh, Phang Nga in southern Thailand. QUALCOMM, along with CAT Telecom Public Company Limited (CAT), the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC), the Ministry of Public Health (MOPH), the Office of the Non- Formal Education Commission (ONFEC), the Ministry of Education and Axesstel Inc. (AMEX:AFT) , are working together to provide EV-DO high- speed wireless services to fulfill the medical and educational needs of these communities.

<!-CUT>

Here is the link to this article

Edited by Arbat