Torrent In Thailand

CanInBKK

Hey guys, I've recently been trying to get a torrent stream to work in Thailand but so far have been unsuccessful. I've downloaded both BitTornado and Burst and tried to download the latest season of Prison Break but can't seem to get any connections. At first I thought it was a setup issue with port forwarding etc. so I disconnected my router and hooked my PC straight to the DSL modem provided by True. Then I disabled all firewall programs. Still no connection with either client. At best I can see another peer, but there are 0kb uploaded and 0kb downloaded.

Has the goverment of Thailand blocked some sites? Am I using the wrong clients? What engines are you using to search for torrents?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend Transmission for a torrent client for Mac and Linux. For Windows I think uTorrent is probably best.

Personally I run my torrent client on an Asus WL-500gP router flashed with Oleg Linux distro and connected to an external usb hard drive. That way it runs 24 hours a day with minimal power consumption and I can leave my notebook off when I am gone.

Probably it is not quite the same on True's DSL modem, but I have set up my TOT DSL modem, a SpeedTouch/Thompson ST536 v6, to give lowest possible priority to P2P traffic. Seems to work well. I also have a VOIP phone connected to the same network and have noticed no degradation in voice quality during downloads.

For torrent files I find btjunkie.org to be a useful search engine.

btjunkie has a lot of torrents but it does not give much information about the torrent.

If you can get onto Demonoid it has a very good listings and good information about the torrents as well.

Echo that uTorrent is the best, small and efficient. At least on Windows

To all respondents....thanks a lot! uTorrent really worked the magic. As it's querying each peer it gives detailed info (unlike burst or bittornado). I found out that the Prison Break torrent I was trying to download was a bad feed. I tried other feeds using uTorrent and found a few good ones.

Aside: The reason I've resorted to DL'ing Prison Break was my sheer disappointment with Season 2 that I bought from MBK. I purposely waited until the official DVDs were released and went to MBK, asked them if these were "master copies" but was utterly disappointed when I got home and saw that they were just downloads. ARGH!!! So I'm not even going to bother with waiting for Season 3.

Who is your isp? MY ISP at my apartment BLOCKS ALL TORRENTS... the fookers. So perhaps you cannot dl torrents because the isp for your building is blocking them.

Damian

They are correct to "BLOCK ALL TORRENTS". Perhaps you might consider paying for your own line rather than using a torrent on a shared line. I have a friend sharing like this and every time the Thai neighbours start downloading it makes the most minimal internet use intolerable.

Edited by sleepyjohn

I using uTorrent on Windows and Deluge on Linux (Ubuntu).

DamianMavis:

Who is your isp? MY ISP at my apartment BLOCKS ALL TORRENTS... the fookers. So perhaps you cannot dl torrents because the isp for your building is blocking them.

May it isn't the ISP but the Building, the router block the Torrent Traffic for to get the Net free for normal use. I would do on my Appartment Building that because I want like that some user block the whole traffice with huge downloads!

Think about it!

Edited by Reimar

Damian

They are correct to "BLOCK ALL TORRENTS". Perhaps you might consider paying for your own line rather than using a torrent on a shared line. I have a friend sharing like this and every time the Thai neighbours start downloading it makes the most minimal internet use intolerable.

the problem is not the consumers; its the provider. sure, you have a pt. hogging all the bandwidth is hardly nice. but then, were paying for it and should be able to use it any way we like. grengjai doesnt exist when it comes to bandwidth. its a problem, therefore THE PROVIDERS should solve it!! what a novel concept: problem solving!!

Edited by samsara

Would that work? I thought they are blocking ports.

CanInBkk, what do you mean "it was downloads"? Do you mean the difference between DVD quality and Prison Break in DivX/Xvid format we download? It's not that big, imo, but noticeable. I actually think lots of those pirated DVDs are made from torrents, especially CAM ones.

Brigante7, "torrents" is an efficient way to download lots of illegal movies and games. You find "torrent" files on sites like mininova.org or isohunt.com or thepiratebay.org, these files are really small. When you open these files with "torrent clients" like uTorrent or Azureus, they download the whole thing - a movie, latest episode of your favourite series, cracked version of Windows - whatever.

That's why the thread topic is about "clients" and "engines". Clients are programs on your computer and engines are those Internet sites.

the problem is not the consumers; its the provider. sure, you have a pt. hogging all the bandwidth is hardly nice. but then, were paying for it and should be able to use it any way we like. grengjai doesnt exist when it comes to bandwidth. its a problem, therefore THE PROVIDERS should solve it!! what a novel concept: problem solving!!

I think you're wrong: the problem is the consumer, the consumer which is downloading ther torrents day by day on heavy way and block therefore the traffic for other users on the same network! But all of the users have to "pay" the same price!

And then the complain starts if there several users on the same network starting downloading day by day: the Bandwith is to slow; the download speed stacks and and and!

To get all connected parties on a same network able to use the service the Service Provider, here the Building and NOT the ISP, need to limited the use for everyone that everyone is able to use the service. And if the Building do it by blocking the traffice for torrents it's fine in my point of view. If I'm the Building Owner or Manager, I would do the same! And anyone I know would do the same as well! Except those who want to profit for them own use only but want give others the same benefit!

And there is on more point for Service Providers to block traffic:

Plus wrote:

Brigante7, "torrents" is an efficient way to download lots of illegal movies and games. You find "torrent" files on sites like mininova.org or isohunt.com or thepiratebay.org, these files are really small. When you open these files with "torrent clients" like uTorrent or Azureus, they download the whole thing - a movie, latest episode of your favourite series, cracked version of Windows - whatever.

Some research says that up to 98% of all torrents are prirated! And that's something which is classified as ILLEGAL! Just a few weeks ago a Lady, which was downloading some MP3 Music files was convicted and has to pay big amount of Dollars as fine!

May sometimes it's a good idea to think about others and not about you self only. You should even realize that once the day will came that you'll need the help from others! So, if you're in the same network circuit as others you should keep in mind that the others paying the same and therefore having the right to get the same as YOU!

The only legitimate content on torrents I can think of at the moment is Linux distributions.

With millions of people all over the world using torrents, one unfortunate lady is a drop in the ocean. Realistically the music and movie industries have absolutely no chance of making even a dent in this kind of piracy, let alone stopping it.

Discussing these illegal activites is against forum rules, btw, but lets call a spade a spade when someone asks what the torrents are - torrents are mostly used for downloading illegal stuff.

There's no point in trying to fool people that it's all kosher.

The only legitimate content on torrents I can think of at the moment is Linux distributions.

With millions of people all over the world using torrents, one unfortunate lady is a drop in the ocean. Realistically the music and movie industries have absolutely no chance of making even a dent in this kind of piracy, let alone stopping it.

Discussing these illegal activites is against forum rules, btw, but lets call a spade a spade when someone asks what the torrents are - torrents are mostly used for downloading illegal stuff.

There's no point in trying to fool people that it's all kosher.

It varies a lot by country actually. In Canada they took what I consider a fairly pragmatic approach where it's not illegal to download music (except full quality lossless tracks), and in exchange we have a rather hefty tax on recordable media such as blank CDs and DVDs, which is collected on behalf of the artists.

Just as well because I've tried paying for music from sites like Amazon, but it gets blocked because I was using a Canadian credit card. The music industry will eliminate a lot of torrenting and P2P use if they'd just allow their files to be obtained at a reasonable price and without having roadblocks thrown up at us, and having to jump through a lot of silly hoops.

This month Radiohead allowed people to pay what they wanted to download their new album directly with no record company involved. I bought it just on principal just because I wanted to see it succeed (not a big Radiohead fan).

I think you're wrong: the problem is the consumer, the consumer which is downloading ther torrents day by day on heavy way and block therefore the traffic for other users on the same network! But all of the users have to "pay" the same price!

And then the complain starts if there several users on the same network starting downloading day by day: the Bandwith is to slow; the download speed stacks and and and!

To get all connected parties on a same network able to use the service the Service Provider, here the Building and NOT the ISP, need to limited the use for everyone that everyone is able to use the service. And if the Building do it by blocking the traffice for torrents it's fine in my point of view. If I'm the Building Owner or Manager, I would do the same! And anyone I know would do the same as well! Except those who want to profit for them own use only but want give others the same benefit!

And there is on more point for Service Providers to block traffic:

Plus wrote:

Some research says that up to 98% of all torrents are prirated! And that's something which is classified as ILLEGAL! Just a few weeks ago a Lady, which was downloading some MP3 Music files was convicted and has to pay big amount of Dollars as fine!

May sometimes it's a good idea to think about others and not about you self only. You should even realize that once the day will came that you'll need the help from others! So, if you're in the same network circuit as others you should keep in mind that the others paying the same and therefore having the right to get the same as YOU!

i see where youre coming from, but youre missing my pt.

do tons of people with access to good isps complain incessantly about torrents?? NO!! Why? Because they dont have to freakin share their bandwidth!!!

my point is that thailand needs to wake up and invest in its net infrastructure before it falls hopelessly behind (may already be too late). the quality of internet in thailand is beyond a joke. regional countries are far more advanced.

If your ISP or building block torrents then get u torrent and there is an option in their to encrypt the torrents so it doesnt look like you are downloading torrents...

Well done now we kow how to ruin cheap internet access for ordinary people.

Any more useful tips?

Edited by sleepyjohn

All ISPs need to do is impose reasonable limits on total bandwidth usage. After all, people streaming video can suck up just as much bandwidth.

good pt. not to mention online gamers.

once again, the blame does not fall upon users, its remains completely with the inadequate service provided in this country.

i am intimately familiar with croatia and its net development over the past few years. 5 years ago it offered service not unlike what was available in thailand. its now possible to get a personal 16M line at less than $200/month. forget that the most thats even available for corps in thailand is just 4M!!!!!! (which is pathetic) how much do you think an equivalent 16M line would cost here? judging by prices for leased lines id say around $7500/month. ridiculous!!!!!!!

Hey guys, I've recently been trying to get a torrent stream to work in Thailand but so far have been unsuccessful. I've downloaded both BitTornado and Burst and tried to download the latest season of Prison Break but can't seem to get any connections. At first I thought it was a setup issue with port forwarding etc. so I disconnected my router and hooked my PC straight to the DSL modem provided by True. Then I disabled all firewall programs. Still no connection with either client. At best I can see another peer, but there are 0kb uploaded and 0kb downloaded.

Has the goverment of Thailand blocked some sites? Am I using the wrong clients? What engines are you using to search for torrents?

utorrent as client

www.mininova.org as a website

It varies a lot by country actually. In Canada they took what I consider a fairly pragmatic approach where it's not illegal to download music (except full quality lossless tracks), and in exchange we have a rather hefty tax on recordable media such as blank CDs and DVDs, which is collected on behalf of the artists.

Just as well because I've tried paying for music from sites like Amazon, but it gets blocked because I was using a Canadian credit card. The music industry will eliminate a lot of torrenting and P2P use if they'd just allow their files to be obtained at a reasonable price and without having roadblocks thrown up at us, and having to jump through a lot of silly hoops.

This month Radiohead allowed people to pay what they wanted to download their new album directly with no record company involved. I bought it just on principal just because I wanted to see it succeed (not a big Radiohead fan).

Only about 60% of downloaders chose to pay anything to Radiohead and even they didn't pay much, overall it wasn't a very successful idea.

I stopped buying blank CD and switched to DVDs, then I got no place to store all those burned DVDs and no point in storing them either, so now I simply delete the movies after watching them. That Canadian law is somewhat behind even by Thai standards, but I agree it was quite revolutionary at the time.

I can't see how you can possibly force millions of illegal downloaders to pay for anything. Even if you make buying videos off the Internet very easy, people would still download them for free.

>>>

Isohunt is my website of choice. It has more trackers than any other site, imo.

As for clients - I've switched from Azureus to Utorrent a few weeks back and it was great for a while but I just noticed that it downloaded 500MB extra offa 1.4GB torrent. It was the same reason I dumped it in the first place and hoped they'd fix it by now - it keeps downloading bad pieces over and over and over again. Other than that it's perfect.