Briton Killed After Falling Out Of Songthaew

sriracha john

Briton killed after falling from passenger pickup in Pattaya

Pattaya, Chon Buri - A Briton was fatally injured when he fell from a pick-up truck modified as passenger vehicle in this seaside town early Thursday.

Mark Steven Morrison, 45, died of severe head injuries while police officials were waiting for an ambulance.

The accident took place at 2:30 am in front of the Pattaya Police station on the Pattaya Beach Road.

The driver, Khemphet Praditphan, 41, was arrested and charged with reckless driving, causing death.

Khempphet told police that he picked up the British tourist, who appeared to be drunk, from Pattaya Soi 7 and he fell down just 100 metres from the spot.

Khemphet claimed that the Briton, who appeared drunk, carried his foods bags and would not sit down and would not hold on to any rail so he fell off.

The driver claimed that he was not speeding the vehicle.

- The Nation

Briton killed after falling from passenger pickup in Pattaya

Pattaya, Chon Buri - A Briton was fatally injured when he fell from a pick-up truck modified as passenger vehicle in this seaside town early Thursday.

Mark Steven Morrison, 45, died of severe head injuries while police officials were waiting for an ambulance.

The accident took place at 2:30 am in front of the Pattaya Police station on the Pattaya Beach Road.

The driver, Khemphet Praditphan, 41, was arrested and charged with reckless driving, causing death.

Khempphet told police that he picked up the British tourist, who appeared to be drunk, from Pattaya Soi 7 and he fell down just 100 metres from the spot.

Khemphet claimed that the Briton, who appeared drunk, carried his foods bags and would not sit down and would not hold on to any rail so he fell off.

The driver claimed that he was not speeding the vehicle.

- The Nation

Channel 7 showed the unfortunate victim getting CPR on the scene as well as close up shots of his passport, name, picture, etc.. TITV showed the driver behind bars and my translator says the police charge he was driving too fast, causing the victim to fall out so must have been witnesses. Easy lift for the MIB with the accident happening right on their doorstep.

RIP Mark

This is very unfortunate, and my sympathy goes out to this chap's family and friends.

That said I think it would be wrong to prosecute the driver, all baht bus drivers are pretty reckless, and I think most of know that we take a bit of a chance everytime we use one.

But maybe if they start seeing the BiB taking action against some of their members they'd mend their ways.

Okay, a very big maybe I'll admit but allow me some dreamtime. :o

Without judging the situation it may not be solely the drivers fault. I've seen some, usually drunken, farangs pull some crazy stunts travelling in baht busses.

My condolences to the family and friends of the victim. It is very sad for all concerned.

I had a friend fall out of a songthaew in BKK. He was very drunk and fortunately wasn't injured. The driver was quite nice, he said that since he fell out, he didn't have to pay! In my friends case, the driver was going very slowly (in part due to traffic and in part due to picking up and dropping off a lot of people).

Regardless of the circumstances of these situations, it certainly sad for all concerned.

Here's the full PCN story (not published on site yet)

English man dies after falling from fast moving Baht Bus on Pattaya Beach Road.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Anan from Pattaya Police Station made his way to the front of the station on Pattaya Beach Road in the early hours of Thursday Morning to investigate a road accident which claimed the life of an English Man. At the scene, he inspected the body of Mr. Mark Steven Morrison aged 45 from Ripon, North Yorkshire in England. He had sustained a fatal head trauma and despite efforts to resuscitate him, he was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of Baht Bus Number 549, Khun Kempet aged 41 was arrested and placed behind bars pending further enquiries into the incident. Witnesses, including a Bar Girl working at a Bar in Soi 7, explained that Mr. Morrison had spent the night drinking and was thought to be intoxicated. He summoned a Baht Bus at the end of the road on Pattaya Beach with the intention of meeting his Girlfriend at Walking Street. He decided not to sit on the seat of the Baht Bus and instead stood on the platform at the rear of the vehicle. In one hand was a bag of food he had purchased for his Girlfriend, with the other hand he held on to the steel rail. A sudden burst of power from the baht Bus caused him to fall off the Baht Bus approximately 100 meters from Soi 7. He hit the road, head first and sustained a fatal head trauma. The British Embassy in Bangkok are aware of the case and consular officials have already inspected the body at the Morgue in Banglamung and will arrange for the body of Mr. Morrison to be sent back to England for burial. Khun Kempet, the Baht Bus Driver accepted responsibility for the accident and will now be processed in accordance with the Law.

This is very unfortunate, and my sympathy goes out to this chap's family and friends.

That said I think it would be wrong to prosecute the driver, all baht bus drivers are pretty reckless, and I think most of know that we take a bit of a chance everytime we use one.

I take back what I said earlier if that's the case.

My sympathies go out to the friends and family of the deceased.

If what has been stated is correct then I must say that it is extremely dangerous to stand on the back rail of a baht bus as keeping your balance is very difficult. Some of the rails are in poor condition and if wet can be very slippery.

My sympathies go out to the friends and family of the deceased.

If what has been stated is correct then I must say that it is extremely dangerous to stand on the back rail of a baht bus as keeping your balance is very difficult. Some of the rails are in poor condition and if wet can be very slippery.

Especialy if pissed !,.Sorry , i dont see this as the drivers fault, difficult to drive and hold onto a drunk,. sad, but carelesness i would say,.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Anan from Pattaya Police Station made his way to the front of the station on Pattaya Beach Road in the early hours of Thursday Morning to investigate a road accident which claimed the life of an English Man. At the scene, he inspected the body of Mr. Mark Steven Morrison aged 45 from Ripon, North Yorkshire in England. He had sustained a fatal head trauma and despite efforts to resuscitate him, he was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of Baht Bus Number 549, Khun Kempet aged 41 was arrested and placed behind bars pending further enquiries into the incident. Witnesses, including a Bar Girl working at a Bar in Soi 7, explained that Mr. Morrison had spent the night drinking and was thought to be intoxicated. He summoned a Baht Bus at the end of the road on Pattaya Beach with the intention of meeting his Girlfriend at Walking Street. He decided not to sit on the seat of the Baht Bus and instead stood on the platform at the rear of the vehicle. In one hand was a bag of food he had purchased for his Girlfriend, with the other hand he held on to the steel rail. A sudden burst of power from the baht Bus caused him to fall off the Baht Bus approximately 100 meters from Soi 7. He hit the road, head first and sustained a fatal head trauma. The British Embassy in Bangkok are aware of the case and consular officials have already inspected the body at the Morgue in Banglamung and will arrange for the body of Mr. Morrison to be sent back to England for burial. Khun Kempet, the Baht Bus Driver accepted responsibility for the accident and will now be processed in accordance with the Law.

Accepted responsibility ?! really,this will be an interesting case then,causing death by dangerous driving ? ,...

markmorrison_258858d.jpg

Mark Morrison

Belfast Telegraph

Ulster DJ killed in Thai taxi accident

An Ulster father-of-one and well-known club DJ has been killed in a road accident in Thailand, the Belfast Telegraph can reveal today.

Mark Morrison (40), from Mannagrove in east Belfast, died after falling off the back of a 'baht taxi' in the tropical resort of Pattaya during the early hours of this morning.

He suffered head injuries after smashing onto the ground and died before an ambulance arrived at the scene.

Mr Morrison, a DJ at Benedicts nightclub, had been enjoying a two-week holiday with friends and was due to arrive home tomorrow.

The accident happened at about 2.30am local time.

It is understood he had been making his way back to his hotel and was due to leave the resort today.

Mr Morrison's only son, Ryan, is said to be devastated by the loss.

David Cunningham, a close friend and colleague, said of Ryan: "He has taken it badly but he is bearing up. Everyone is still in shock."

Mr Cunningham described his friend as outgoing and fun-loving and much loved.

"An awful lot of people knew Mark from DJing in Benedicts. I have had phonecalls from people as far away as the Cayman Islands and Belgium. He was very well known and well liked.

"It was a complete freak accident. He fell off the back. He had food in his hand so it looks like he was holding on to the food instead of holding on to the seat. Obviously he was sitting in the back and was just caught off guard when the vehicle took off again."

Mr Morrison's body was today being held by the authorities in Thailand. At this stage it is not known when his family will be allowed to bring him home.

"Hopefully we will be able to get his body home within the next few days. His insurance company has been in touch with a funeral director in Thailand," added Mr Cunningham.

Baht taxis are a cheap form of local transport - they are effectively a pick-up truck with two bench seats in the back. They stop and start frequently, picking people up along the street. A lift costs about 70p.

It is understood the driver of the vehicle was breathalized at the scene and the results were negative. He is still being questioned by police.

Mr Morrison had been in Thailand up to six times previously and had friends over there.

- Belfast Telegraph

p4-1.jpg

UNFORTUNATE BRIT FALLS DEAD FROM A BAHT-BUS IN FRONT OF POLICE STATION

A British tourist got drunk and fell from a baht-bus (songthaew) right in front of the Pattaya Police Station. This frightened everyone, including other tourists and police officers, before he was found dead.

On November 8, 2007, at 02.30 am, while Pol. Lt. Col. Wanlop Kingtharathip, Pattaya investigator, was on duty, was informed about a foreign tourist accidentally falling from a baht-bus (songthaew), and was seriously injured.

The accident took place right in front of the Pattaya Police Station (Soi 9), Beach road, Moo 9 , Nongprue sub-district, Banglamung district, Chonburi province.

The police visited the scene and found the body of Mr. Mark Steven Morrison, 45, British, lay unconscious in the middle of the road, with massive bleeding all over the road. His hands were still holding several sacks of food. In the ensuing panic, other tourists and police who witnessed the incident called the police to get a rescue team with an ambulance to transport the injured person to a hospital.

The accident also caused a long and heavy traffic congestion along the Beach Road. The cooperative-owned baht-bus with license plate 20-5703, no. 549 Chonburi, which the injured person fell from, was parked at the scene. The driver, Mr. Khempet Praditphan, 41, residing at 144/37, Moo 5, Na-khlua sub-district, Banglamung district, Chonburi province, was in the police's custody.

While waiting for medical transportation, the injured person suffered severely from concussion and internal bleeding, and became unconscious. The bystanders hurried to perform CPR in order to resuscitate him. However, the effort was in vain as he died before them. The body was kept at Banglamung Hospital for notification of relatives and the UK Embassy.

As investigated, the driver, Mr. Khempet Praditphan, stated that he picked up Mr. Mark Steven Morrison from Pattaya Soi 7 to Walking Street. Once he picked him up, Mr. Khempet directed the course with speed as usual. The dreadful accident took place when he arrived at the front of Pattaya Police Station (Soi 9), only 100 meters away from the spot where he picked him up. Then he heard Mr. Mark Steven Morrison falling from the vehicle and stopped the vehicle at once to help him. According to him, Mr. Mark Steven Morrison must have fallen from the vehicle due to intoxication by the action of a alcoholic substance, and the fact that he did not hold on to any grab rail, and not being seated, and that he was holding many sacks in his hands.

While he was picking up speed, Mr. Morrison must have fallen from the vehicle as he lost balance, cause by the speed of the two-bench. Nevertheless, the police had the driver under arrest grounded upon a careless driving charge and sent him for a breathalyzer immediately.

Afterwards, Miss Wassana Phutthan, 17, a bar staff member at Nakwan Beer Bar located at Pattaya Soi 7, came to identify the victim and burst into tears, saying that earlier that night Mr. Morrison went to have several drinks at the bar, and excused himself because he had an appointment with his girlfriend at Walking Street, Pattaya South. He also bought a lot of food for his girlfriend as she saw him getting on a two-bench at Soi 7. She did not see this unfortunate incident coming.

- Pattaya Daily News

Accepted responsibility ?! really,this will be an interesting case then,causing death by dangerous driving ? ,...

Condolences to the departed's family.

Of course the driver had to accept responsibilty under Thai law. He was in control of a vehicle directly involved in a person's death.

If somebody jumps off a bridge in Thailand & lands on the bonnet of your car while you are driving & the impact with your car is deemed to be the factor resulting in the jumpers death, you will be charged with the equivalent of "manslaughter" under Thai law. No bullcrap.

Some of the laws in Thailand are desperately in need of review.

Soundman.

Condolences to the departed's family.

Of course the driver had to accept responsibilty under Thai law. He was in control of a vehicle directly involved in a person's death.

If somebody jumps off a bridge in Thailand & lands on the bonnet of your car while you are driving & the impact with your car is deemed to be the factor resulting in the jumpers death, you will be charged with the equivalent of "manslaughter" under Thai law. No bullcrap.

Some of the laws in Thailand are desperately in need of review.

Soundman.

I turned left out of foodland and hit a bike head on that was on the wrong side of the road,no damage as i had just turned the corner, but the guy on the bike had his friend run down the road and appeared with a cop,.there was a scratch about an inch long on the bike, he wanted 5000 baht from me, i ended up giving him 1000, the cop said even though the bike was on the wrong side it was my fault as i was in thailand, now how would you take that ? ,.did he mean i was in thailand as ,well its thai law, or, i was in thailand ,and had i been in my own country it wouldnt have happened !,. im still scratching my head over that one :o

, the cop said even though the bike was on the wrong side it was my fault as i was in thailand, now how would you take that ? ,.did he mean i was in thailand as ,well its thai law, or, i was in thailand ,and had i been in my own country it wouldnt have happened !,. im still scratching my head over that one :o

Same in most Middle Eastern countries - if you hadn't been there the accident wouldn't have happened - therefore your fault.

I was on a main road in Jeddah, was side-swiped by an SUV coming at speed out of a small side turning. Spun me 540 degrees - but I walked out of it. Luckily the other driver was Pakistani, so the police decided it was 50/50. I paid my damage, he paid his - no prosecution.

If it had been a Saudi driving the mother vehicle I would have been in jail, although the fault was 100% with the guy speeding out of a side turning.

I actually feel sorry for the driver. Injury or death to a drunken man who chooses not to sit in the bus and not to adequately secure himself when he chooses to stand, is morally not the driver's fault, so long as he obeyed the laws of the road, and when he accelerated he didn't exceed the speed limit (hard to believe even at that time of the night on beach Road).

The Irish press reckon he was sitting down, but they would as his insurers are going to be paying to repatriate the poor guy's body.

I reckon we should get a petition up to have the driver released, or have TPV Howard go down to Soi 9 and plead to get the poor guy out. That would confound 'em.

I actually feel sorry for the driver. Injury or death to a drunken man who chooses not to sit in the bus and not to adequately secure himself when he chooses to stand, is morally not the driver's fault, so long as he obeyed the laws of the road, and when he accelerated he didn't exceed the speed limit (hard to believe even at that time of the night on beach Road).

The Irish press reckon he was sitting down, but they would as his insurers are going to be paying to repatriate the poor guy's body.

I reckon we should get a petition up to have the driver released, or have TPV Howard go down to Soi 9 and plead to get the poor guy out. That would confound 'em.

He probably read the previous posts, including the eye witness report, before posting. That is what most people do before they post, except for some muppets :o

He probably read the previous posts, including the eye witness report, before posting. That is what most people do before they post, except for some muppets :o

I have read the entire thread thank-you and if you are taking the following as serious then you too are a muppet:

I mean come on they cant even get his address correct the man lives in East Belfast not Ripon and the main witness is a bar girl such reliable people :D Or perhaps you believe the driver of course he does,nt have an invested interest to lie.....

I have read the entire thread thank-you and if you are taking the following as serious then you too are a muppet:

I mean come on they cant even get his address correct the man lives in East Belfast not Ripon and the main witness is a bar girl such reliable people :D Or perhaps you believe the driver of course he does,nt have an invested interest to lie.....

It says that the poor guy was from Ripon, not that he lived there. It says that one of the witnesses was a bar girl, not that the main witness was a bar girl. Try reading again, muppet :o

Flaming of fellow members is against the forum rules and we have a few posters here who are flaming each other and posting inappropriate remarks.

Please try to conduct your posts in a civilised and calm manner otherwise offending posters will have their posting rights suspended.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Thats the dumbest thing i have hear so far on these boards

there are many variables here, you could argue if the driver saw a passenger hanging off he back while intoxicated perhaps he should have slowed down, on the other hand the guy should have sat down especially if he only had one hand to hold on with

very sad and unfortunate RIP

Pattaya City News Survey

We survey locals following recent Baht Bus Fatality.

Following on from the recent death of an English National who fell from a Baht Bus on Pattaya Beach Road, we conducted an investigation into the Baht Buses to find out what local Thai’s and Foreign Ex-pats and Tourists felt about this form of public transport. It was a mixed response and many still feel they are a convenient and cheap form of transport which should remain here in Pattaya. Comments regarding the safety aspects of Baht Buses were limited and the majority of complaints from the Ex-pat’s we spoke with related to their poor driving skills. During our tour of Pattaya on Friday Night we did see many Baht Buses stop suddenly as they hunted for customers and many were double-parked, causing problems for other motorists. However, the overall impression we gained from the people we spoke with suggested you want the Baht Buses to remain and although prices may soon rise due to an increase in Diesel prices, this form of transport is still considered cheap, reliable and convenient.

Pattaya City News

Saturday 10th November 2007

Pattaya City News Survey

We survey locals following recent Baht Bus Fatality.

Following on from the recent death of an English National who fell from a Baht Bus on Pattaya Beach Road, we conducted an investigation into the Baht Buses to find out what local Thai's and Foreign Ex-pats and Tourists felt about this form of public transport. It was a mixed response and many still feel they are a convenient and cheap form of transport which should remain here in Pattaya. Comments regarding the safety aspects of Baht Buses were limited and the majority of complaints from the Ex-pat's we spoke with related to their poor driving skills. During our tour of Pattaya on Friday Night we did see many Baht Buses stop suddenly as they hunted for customers and many were double-parked, causing problems for other motorists. However, the overall impression we gained from the people we spoke with suggested you want the Baht Buses to remain and although prices may soon rise due to an increase in Diesel prices, this form of transport is still considered cheap, reliable and convenient.

Pattaya City News

Saturday 10th November 2007

personally i hate the things. the are the biggest hazard on the roads in pattaya. i with jingthing on this. metered taxis is the way to go.