Briton Killed After Falling Out Of Songthaew

sriracha john

This is very unfortunate, and my sympathy goes out to this chap's family and friends.

That said I think it would be wrong to prosecute the driver, all baht bus drivers are pretty reckless, and I think most of know that we take a bit of a chance everytime we use one.

Unfortunate yes, verry

Prosecute yes

Pattaya City News Survey

We survey locals following recent Baht Bus Fatality.

Following on from the recent death of an English National who fell from a Baht Bus on Pattaya Beach Road, we conducted an investigation into the Baht Buses to find out what local Thai's and Foreign Ex-pats and Tourists felt about this form of public transport. It was a mixed response and many still feel they are a convenient and cheap form of transport which should remain here in Pattaya. Comments regarding the safety aspects of Baht Buses were limited and the majority of complaints from the Ex-pat's we spoke with related to their poor driving skills. During our tour of Pattaya on Friday Night we did see many Baht Buses stop suddenly as they hunted for customers and many were double-parked, causing problems for other motorists. However, the overall impression we gained from the people we spoke with suggested you want the Baht Buses to remain and although prices may soon rise due to an increase in Diesel prices, this form of transport is still considered cheap, reliable and convenient.

Pattaya City News

Saturday 10th November 2007

They are convenient and cheap - no doubt. But also lethal - many an unfortunate ferang has died when crashing their motorcycle into the back of a baht bus. Pattaya is a tourist destination and i think many innocent tourists would be totally unaware fo the crazy and deadly practices of these drivers. The survey means absoulutley nothing

They are convenient and cheap - no doubt. But also lethal - many an unfortunate ferang has died when crashing their motorcycle into the back of a baht bus. Pattaya is a tourist destination and i think many innocent tourists would be totally unaware fo the crazy and deadly practices of these drivers. The survey means absoulutley nothing

In most countries, there are very few exceptions to the rule that you will be charged if you run into the back of another vehicle. There is no denying that the local baht buses habit of kerb-crawling, stopping and turning without signaling would also be a moving traffic violation elsewhere in the world. However, the onus is always on the vehicle following to maintain a safe speed and distance to avoid a rear-end collision. What is unfortunate is that many visitors try and emulate the local motorcyclists behaviour of aiming for the 'ever-diminishing gap' when passing on either side. Some acquire this skill, others end up in hospital or worse.

The survey was pertinent in it's point; that of ascertaining the convenience and cost of this form of transport and did mention that driving skills are also a concern among the expatriates questioned which is to be expected. It is up to the individual to weigh the risk versus the cost and make their own decision whether to ride. As always, personal experience and to a lesser degree anecdotal evidence will influence how one feels.

Although the jury is out on whether this unfortunate victim was seated or standing on the rear steps, we have all seen at one time or another people that chose to do the latter, whether it be school kids mid-afternoon or inebriates at midnight. Whenever I find myself following a baht bus with people on the steps, I will either change lanes or slow down and let someone else take the chance of following that 'accident waiting to happen.' Unfortunately, I have on occasion found myself driving 'like a local' when the need arises which may be one of the inevitabilities of trying to live here.

quote - It is up to the individual to weigh the risk versus the cost and make their own decision whether to ride

well it's not up to the individual actually because the modes of transport in pattaya are limited to baht bus or motorbike taxi both of which would be wiped out if metered taxi's where allowed to operate in pattaya, maybe not totally wiped out but certaintly dramatically reduced, I have come home from walking street many times with my girlfriend and if I had a choice between a motorbike taxi at 80baht for two people or a taxi meter for 40baht - well nothing more to say. As for baht busses - reduce the numbers by 70% let them remain on the main routes and allow the customer to decide between taxi meter - motorbike or baht bus

This would be a dramatic improvement on transport in pattaya.

Exactly the solution. Would be near impossible to implement due to vestige interests and City Hall refusal, but this is the answer. 50 - 70% reduction in Baht bus/Songthaw and introduce safe taxi meters to provide real competion and choice.

Shame on City Hall!!!

quote - It is up to the individual to weigh the risk versus the cost and make their own decision whether to ride

well it's not up to the individual actually because the modes of transport in pattaya are limited to baht bus or motorbike taxi both of which would be wiped out if metered taxi's where allowed to operate in pattaya, maybe not totally wiped out but certaintly dramatically reduced, I have come home from walking street many times with my girlfriend and if I had a choice between a motorbike taxi at 80baht for two people or a taxi meter for 40baht - well nothing more to say. As for baht busses - reduce the numbers by 70% let them remain on the main routes and allow the customer to decide between taxi meter - motorbike or baht bus

This would be a dramatic improvement on transport in pattaya.

Edited by twix38