Employment In Phuket Hotels For Thais

geriatrickid

Question: I have been asked a few times by several young Thais how they go about getting a job in a respectable hotel that offers lodging or bus transport, uniforms etc.

I had a look at the employment section and recognize that it's geared for us farangs. I was going to email some TV members, but then reconsidered on the basis that 1) It's sort of pushy and 2) There are a lot more hotelier pros in here than I realized.

Surely, there is some sort of central hiring center or facility that helps all the hotels find staff?

The issue in more detail is that I have had the question asked by a couple folks that I believe are decent and hardworking. So far, no one seedy has asked me and I'm cynical in case you didn't figure it out. :o

I'm not a social worker and nor am I interested in being one, but I respect people that are trying to better themselves in an honest and hardworking manner. In one case, subject 1 - male, who I've known for about a year has been going around early in the morning for the past few weeks looking at hotels and been discouraged by some of the slim pickings. There's always a catch though and in this case, he would prefer to be around the karon/kata/patong /kalim/kamala area . Subject 2 - female works in a bar and (and no she doesn't do dates etc.) I know her b/f and he has done errands for me. Obviously, none of these people are personal friends nor do I socialize with them as I would with my friends. So I can't offer personal guarantees anymore than I would on the other locals that have done errands or favours for me.

I have no understanding of the service industry job market here but from what I hear there is a shortage of staff. the first subject has worked at a 5 star hotel previously in BKK and came down here because his friend from the village said the streets were paved with gold etc. He doesn't want to make that gold doing things you wouldn't want your kids to do either.

Neither of the subjects have tatoos or piercings or anything associated with the bar/beach/tout demographic and both have an ability to communicate in english. So, they aren't going to terrify elderly hotel guests.

And no, I am not being scammed by anyone. Haven't been asked for pity payments etc. Just would like to point people in the right direction so they can help themselves. I have my hands full with work issues that need my attention. I had considered the health sector, but the jobs matching their respective education are filled.

Anyways, thank you for reading this far and for any suggestions/pointers that anyone offers.

Edited by geriatrickid

Look in the Phuket Gazette or the BKK Post or Nation jobs section. I see many jobs in Phuket hotels for Thai nationals only.

However, the fact that these jobs are written only in English indicates that applicants should be able to read English :o

Simon

Look in the Phuket Gazette or the BKK Post or Nation jobs section. I see many jobs in Phuket hotels for Thai nationals only.

However, the fact that these jobs are written only in English indicates that applicants should be able to read English :o

Simon

Thank you Kata - I figured there would had to be a Labour office. Trouble is, most Thais of this type of background are unaware of community and social services available. I will politely suggest this.

Thanks Simon - They can speak english and have rudimentary english speaking skills. (heck of alot better than my Thai skills). I had looked at some of those listings but they are usually for manager level positions. A bit too high level for these folks, not to be condescending. But I will look again. I may have reading comprehension problems.

There are many websites specifically advertising jobs for Thai nationals and they are not always adverts written in English. A quick search on Google Thailand would no doubt bring them up but it really is a gloss on the outside type gig for most I think.

I recently had a Thai friend who was highly skilled go for a hotel job as a PA to GM. They wanted to offer what I consider a joke starting salary (and I'm taking into account the disparity)and a mouth watering 6 day week! Is it any wonder they have so many shortages? Apparently loads have left Phuket and got much better conditions in Phang Na etc.

The CEO was a farang (and in my experience of this industry here they're not much better if at all). Most want the cream and want to pay peanuts and we all know the old saying where that's concerned!

Heard it time and time again at the local expat watering holes jotted about. Moan moan moan and then when asked what they're paying them etc I bluntly reply "Is it any wonder then!" Think they'll learn as quickly as the slave driving Thai bosses! Never.

Edited by makavelithedon