Ford Focus

Gary A

Now I'm upset. I was just looking at Ford's home page and discovered that the new Ford Focus is going to be available with a diesel engine. I bought a 2007 Focus Ghia and other than the fuel usage it is a great car. I bought one year too soon!

Is this a commiseration request, or is there a deeply hidden question i'm not seeing?

(commiserations by the way)

Just information. As far as I know Ford will have the only domestically produced diesel car in Thailand.

Actually for no more than we drive the car it would take a LONG time to recover the extra 110,000 baht premium for the diesel. It's just that had I known a car with a diesel would be available I certainly would have waited.

There it is. Bangkok Post

Ford Sales Thailand just launched a limited edition diesel-powered Ford Focus compact five-door hatchback. A 136hp 2.0-litre turbo diesel commonrail is mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Thirty-five units are available and only in black at a price of B1.055m.

Typical competition for Focus 2.0 TDCi

http://www.bangkokpost.com/091107_Motoring...07_motor005.php

Petch01

Ford Sales Thailand just launched a limited edition diesel-powered Ford Focus compact five-door hatchback. A 136hp 2.0-litre turbo diesel commonrail is mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Thirty-five units are available and only in black at a price of B1.055m.

Petch01

What is everybody's opinion on the chances of Ford Thailand introducing the TDCi focus as a full production model?

I will be moving to LOS in 12 - 18 months and would love to buy a TDCi focus, I have a Mondeo TDCi with the same engine here in the UK, and after getting it chipped am getting 55mpg with 165bhp but it's the mid range grunt that is amazing.

I was resigned to buying a pick-up in order to get a diesel but maybe not now.

Brigante7

Petch01

What is everybody's opinion on the chances of Ford Thailand introducing the TDCi focus as a full production model?

I will be moving to LOS in 12 - 18 months and would love to buy a TDCi focus, I have a Mondeo TDCi with the same engine here in the UK, and after getting it chipped am getting 55mpg with 165bhp but it's the mid range grunt that is amazing.

I was resigned to buying a pick-up in order to get a diesel but maybe not now.

Brigante7

I think it would be a great seller and hope they make it available as a full production model. Had a diesel car been available I would have much rather had a diesel than the 1.8 liter benzine.

I believe that new "Chevrolet" suv has a diesel option and is locally produced. (In my book it qualifies as 'car' and not truck or suv, but hey)

> Actually for no more than we drive the car it would take a LONG time to recover

> the extra 110,000 baht premium for the diesel.

Most definitely.

Why not convert to gas, which is FAR cheaper than the 110K the diesel would have cost, AND results in an even lower fuel bill than the diesel.

Chevrolet Captiva is an SUV, a seven seater. I doubt it is as fast as pickups that have larger 3l engines.

The only diesel cars/sedans in Thailand are BMW 5 series and Benz E class.

I believe that in theory Yaris, Vios and Accord could be equipped with diesels available elsewhere, but Thais need to make them in Thailand to keep with the local content ratio and that is probably the reason why Toyota and others are hesitating to introduce diesels in cars - a whole new production line with new suppliers, training for service staff etc etc.

About 40% of all cars in Europe are diesels. All else being equal, they get better mileage and the engines can go MUCH longer without needing major overhauls. With rising fuel costs and the good availability of diesel at service stations here in Thailand, it makes sense to introduce a compact diesel car. I'm not surprised at the price though, as cars here are way overpriced; one of the reasons pickups are so popular here.

I believe that new "Chevrolet" suv has a diesel option and is locally produced. (In my book it qualifies as 'car' and not truck or suv, but hey)

> Actually for no more than we drive the car it would take a LONG time to recover

Most definitely.

Why not convert to gas, which is FAR cheaper than the 110K the diesel would have cost, AND results in an even lower fuel bill than the diesel.

Buying a diesel is not just about diesel fuel being cheaper, in fact in the UK it is now around 20p a gallon dearer whereas around 20 years ago it was 20p a gallon cheaper, it's about how a diesel car drives i.e. more relaxed driving, better real world power and far superior mid range grunt.

After driving a lot of fast petrol cars, I bought my first diesel 15 years ago, would never go back to petrol again.

Most definitely.

We live out in the boonies and the nearest filling station for LPG is almost 50 kilometers away. EVERYWHERE has diesel.

It looks good and the price wouldn't put me off. The only thing that would put me off is the fact that its is only available as a 6 speed manual. This might be fine up-country but in Bangkok a manual is a pain. I hope it is available in the future as an auto.

Ford's done the right thing bringing out a diesel 30 cars will be sold out, 6 speed is nice but a automatic much preferred, Watch all the other motor companies will all follow suit with a diesel Honda and Toyota for sure in the CRV and maybe Camry.

Ford's done the right thing bringing out a diesel 30 cars will be sold out, 6 speed is nice but a automatic much preferred, Watch all the other motor companies will all follow suit with a diesel Honda and Toyota for sure in the CRV and maybe Camry.

I've no plans to drive in BKK so the manual is perfect for me. The 136bhp diesel with the 6 speed box is a perfect combination and is even better when the engine is chipped to give 165bhp and 55mpg

Now I'm upset. I was just looking at Ford's home page and discovered that the new Ford Focus is going to be available with a diesel engine. I bought a 2007 Focus Ghia and other than the fuel usage it is a great car. I bought one year too soon!

Yes, I can understand you are upset !

I am upset too, you might say, but for another reason, I am very glad that it will now be possible to buy a car with a diesel engine and a manual transmission

After having sold my Vigo I am looking for a new vehicle, a car this time, preferably with a diesel engine, I almost gave up on finding one to a decent price, when I this evening had a look at this thread.

So thank you for bringing the news here. Tomorrow I will go to the Ford dealer for getting more info.

North :o

The Focus here is the new model - I believe it came out here same time as in Europe. Certainly when I was last in UK and hired one from Hertz, it was the previous model to the one thats being sold in Thailand now. OK that was 2 years ago, but Hertz only keep their cars for like 3-6 months before shifting them on. No idea about the engines though.

Hmm,

After visiting the Ford dealer here in Khon Kaen today I am not that positive anymore.

First of all they knew less than I did about the new Focus diesel. They don´t know what time they wil have them for sale, first Ford will show it on the Motorshow in Bangkok, I think it´s the 28th. of november.

And then I had my first look at the Focus for almost one year, rather disappointing, I have to say.

The assembly quality is poor in my opinion. When I looked at the bonnet, it would fit well to the right mudguard, but in the left side it was 5-7 millimeter lower than the mudguard, something I have never seen on example Toyota´s and Honda´s.

The spare wheel is only a small "emergency wheel", you can open the petrol cap from outside, since there is no lock, the driver´s seat doesn´t feel too good, the interior looks real cheap, the buttons for the radio and aircon. does not feel nice to operate, the display on the aircondition is not easy readable.

When I compare it to a Honda Civic, the Civic wins every time, I just wish Honda would sell it with a diesel engine, but if I buy the petrol version this time there may be a chance they will have a car with a diesel engine in 2-3 years time, I hope so.

North

Edited by North

Just been on the Ford of Thailand website and I get the impression that Ford will sell the Focus TDCi as a full production model :o

As regards to build quality, I'm not sure where the Asian Focus and European Focus are built but the European version has excellent build quality so it will be interesting to take the Asian one for a test drive in February when I visit Thailand.

Brigante7

Re. build quality - send your letters to Philippines, that's where they make them.

Diesel engines are probably fully imported, setting up production for a new line of engines is probably not justified given Ford's poor sales numbers.

Do diesel Civics even exist? I had an impression that their Vtec engines are good enough already.