Bringing Tv?

juliashong

I am moving to Bangkok soon, in 2 months. I am selling almost everything, but I am in dilemma with my TV. The TV is only about a year Samsung flat screen 56" HDTV...I just cannot give up on this one. Should I bring it to Bangkok or would it go obsolete in Thailand? I know Thailand is 220/50 - anyway to convert my TV's watt/voltage?

Please help me!!! Thank you!

I can't answer the question of whether your Samsung TV will receive Thailand tv programs, but if you wish to bring the TV with you, you could always use it to watch DVD's and other recorded programs. If you don't speak/understand Thai language, then you won't much appreciate Thai tv programs, and the UBC cable programs from what I've heard and read here, is not that great. But that's hearsay; I don't know myself. Bring the tv and even if the tv itself will not directly receive the tv channels here, you might find a tv tuner that you can hook up to do that for you.

It probably won't even make it through customs. It will most likely end up on Somchai's wall permanently tuned into some crappy Thai Soap Opera. Still, look on the bright side.........You will have made Mrs Somchai very happy :o

If it does make it past customs, expect to pay a heafty import tax bill.

I understand your attachment to such a beautful TV, but my advice would be to sell it over there, and buy new when you get here.

Good Luck

Jaiyenyen

Just beware you could be in for some serious sticker shock. Most likely you will discover the TV you want is not sold in Thailand and the junky TV you will be forced to choose will cost more than the beautiful one where you come from. Sell your TV; the voltage and format limitations are probably not worth the hassle. Price a new TV from where you come from that accepts 220V & PAL-B, add any additional airline costs if it is oversize/overweight, and add customs fees. There is an excellent chance this will come out far cheaper and better than your choices of TV sets in Thailand. Warranty, if you need it, might or might not be an advantage. Warranty work in Thailand tends to be slower and more costly (they themselves may send it off to another country for refurb), but if it is a small thing you could come out ahead with a Thai warranty. Nice TV's in Thailand cost double or triple what they can be found at in other countries, if you can even find the type you are after. Just take a look here to get an idea of the pricing & selection issues you will face in Thailand.

One other note is TV (true visions) in Thailand is low resolution and low quality and looks terrible on large TV's. It is also still the old 4x3 format, stops working when it rains, does not a great range of channels, but yet cost is through the roof (1700-2000 baht per month if you want english channels). Other than that it's great :o .

I have recently arrived from the UK and had some stuff shipped over including my SOny flatscreen. I pressed auto tune and have all the thai channels. Works perfectly.

The only problem is that Scart plugs are unheard of in thailand and my new home theatre uses usb or the old cables. So cables it is but the sound and picture are first class