Shang Palace

corkscrew

You know corkscrew, every time I see you post in here I have to look. You always have such great photos and yummy looking food. Makes me glad I don't know you personally because if I went out to eat with you as much as you seem to go out, I would be FAT :o

You know corkscrew, every time I see you post in here I have to look. You always have such great photos and yummy looking food. Makes me glad I don't know you personally because if I went out to eat with you as much as you seem to go out, I would be FAT :o

Thank you...that was very kind. I usually skip lunch so that I can indulge myself at dinner.

id be surprised if anything on soi taniya is better than the 5 star places you have posted pics from cork... but it is on the opposite side of silom road as soi sala dang.

try it out and you'll be surprised.

where to get better chinese food than in an authentic chinese restaurant ?

this restaurant was there already before taniya plaza etc evolved.

:o

Shang-a-rila is good, beyond a doubt. But boy, does that Shangri-La photo look yummy! Do you get two or three courses? Is the fry course stir fried or deep fried (which I don't really like)? Could you tell us the price as well?

Shang-a-rila is good, beyond a doubt. But boy, does that Shangri-La photo look yummy! Do you get two or three courses? Is the fry course stir fried or deep fried (which I don't really like)? Could you tell us the price as well?

The price for the duck was 1200b....same for the crab. The crab was stir fried. The two dishes were more than enough for the five of us. Many courses.

BTW, China House at The Oriental also does a nice Peking Duck.

id be surprised if anything on soi taniya is better than the 5 star places you have posted pics from cork... but it is on the opposite side of silom road as soi sala dang.

try it out and you'll be surprised.

where to get better chinese food than in an authentic chinese restaurant ?

this restaurant was there already before taniya plaza etc evolved.

:o

I shall give it a try....thanks.

Excellent Peking Duck at Xin Tien Di Restaurant at the top floor of Gaysorn.

Very posh restaurant and feels very expensive inside (duh! in Gaysorn!)... but the duck is actually only 590 baht!

Plus, they gave me a discount coupon to have another Peking Duck for only 399 within November! :o

Sorry to digress a little from the topic... Is it possible to get restaurants to serve peeking duck as just one course?

I like the duck meat as well as the skin in the pancakes and every place that I've had peeking duck here won't let you have the meat. When the meat is fried after having been cooked already it comes out like leather. I've ended up ordering Hong Kong duck without sauce, putting that in the pancakes and leaving the fried duck jerky untouched on the table.

Sorry to digress a little from the topic... Is it possible to get restaurants to serve peeking duck as just one course?

I like the duck meat as well as the skin in the pancakes and every place that I've had peeking duck here won't let you have the meat. When the meat is fried after having been cooked already it comes out like leather. I've ended up ordering Hong Kong duck without sauce, putting that in the pancakes and leaving the fried duck jerky untouched on the table.

Properly cooked Peking Duck – at least the most popular way it is done in Thailand – results in, initially, only the skin being crisped, the underlying meat should be almost raw to facilitate the removal of the skin, hence the way it is usually served in Thailand is in 3 separate courses:

1) Crisp skin - with pancakes, plum / poy sian sauce and cucumber and spring onion garnishes

2) Meat cooked afterwards - usually fried with bean shoots, but other options available to individual taste

3) Bones and other …….. ummmm residue in a soup

Personally I usually only have the Crisped skin – I find the rest is pretty uninteresting, no matter how it is cooked, and I usually simply take the carcass home for the maids etc..

I don’t think I have ever seen Peking Duck served in Thailand with both a crisp outer skin and fully cooked meat attached – the nearest you will get to that is the simple “Pet Yang” , although the skin in that dish is never crisp of course.

My own personal favourite place for Peking Duck is Chan Phen Restaurant on Rama IV Road – just about opposite the Lumpini Boxing Stadium; excellent service (although they no longer bring the Duck to your table to slice off the skin, which was always a nice touch) and a very good selection of Thai / Chinese food – plus Dim Sum at lunchtime. They also have a wonderful “Moo Han” – Suckling Pig with crisp skin something like Peking Duck – again with options to have the meat etc. served afterwards in various ways.

That noise you hear is my arteries hardening!

Patrick

Properly cooked Peking Duck – at least the most popular way it is done in Thailand – results in, initially, only the skin being crisped, the underlying meat should be almost raw to facilitate the removal of the skin, hence the way it is usually served in Thailand is in 3 separate courses:

1) Crisp skin - with pancakes, plum / poy sian sauce and cucumber and spring onion garnishes

2) Meat cooked afterwards - usually fried with bean shoots, but other options available to individual taste

3) Bones and other …….. ummmm residue in a soup

Personally I usually only have the Crisped skin – I find the rest is pretty uninteresting, no matter how it is cooked, and I usually simply take the carcass home for the maids etc..

I don’t think I have ever seen Peking Duck served in Thailand with both a crisp outer skin and fully cooked meat attached – the nearest you will get to that is the simple “Pet Yang” , although the skin in that dish is never crisp of course.

My own personal favourite place for Peking Duck is Chan Phen Restaurant on Rama IV Road – just about opposite the Lumpini Boxing Stadium; excellent service (although they no longer bring the Duck to your table to slice off the skin, which was always a nice touch) and a very good selection of Thai / Chinese food – plus Dim Sum at lunchtime. They also have a wonderful “Moo Han” – Suckling Pig with crisp skin something like Peking Duck – again with options to have the meat etc. served afterwards in various ways.

That noise you hear is my arteries hardening!

Patrick

Patrick, at China House in The Oriental Hotel you can find Peking Duck cooked the way you describe....with meat attached to the skin.

http://www.corkscrew-balloon.com/07/01/1bkk/07a.html