I Got True Dsl To Work Much Better

jasonc

Long story short as this spread over 4 months of frustrating upgrades of software, cables, 3 modems and 3 True tech visits.

I started on "Billion" brand DSL router which had problems resolving DNS. True had me enter in their proxy IPs which helped on some resolution but still many sites simply did not work. They suggested upgrading to the other DSL modem True sells, brand name "ZyXEL". This modem resolved all sites very well with or without the proxy server settings however I could not use VoIP, WebCam, Stream Media and most web sites were slow at times.

A very nice Thai Tech Lady, who really seemed to know what she was talking about despite her minimal English suggested the Firmware of the ZyXEL modem was not compatible with my hardware and suggested a different "Billion" modem but True didn't sell them. A quick trip to dreaded Pantip was necessary.

The first store I entered had a D-Link ASDL Modem with English instructions and a Local support number for configuration problems. It wasn't what True told me to get but for only 1300 B I figured a known brand was worth a try.

Within only 5 minutes of opening the box, EVERYTHING was working very well. Not a single issue now and the connections seems to be faster.

I hope some of you can learn from my frustration. I hear many complaints about True and I must admit the hardware they sell is obvious crap, but to be honest the tech guys were pretty good, they seemed to understand that the new modems were an issue and now that it's connected it's a solid connection at a fast speed.

Long story short as this spread over 4 months of frustrating upgrades of software, cables, 3 modems and 3 True tech visits.

I started on "Billion" brand DSL router which had problems resolving DNS. True had me enter in their proxy IPs which helped on some resolution but still many sites simply did not work. They suggested upgrading to the other DSL modem True sells, brand name "ZyXEL". This modem resolved all sites very well with or without the proxy server settings however I could not use VoIP, WebCam, Stream Media and most web sites were slow at times.

A very nice Thai Tech Lady, who really seemed to know what she was talking about despite her minimal English suggested the Firmware of the ZyXEL modem was not compatible with my hardware and suggested a different "Billion" modem but True didn't sell them. A quick trip to dreaded Pantip was necessary.

The first store I entered had a D-Link ASDL Modem with English instructions and a Local support number for configuration problems. It wasn't what True told me to get but for only 1300 B I figured a known brand was worth a try.

Within only 5 minutes of opening the box, EVERYTHING was working very well. Not a single issue now and the connections seems to be faster.

I hope some of you can learn from my frustration. I hear many complaints about True and I must admit the hardware they sell is obvious crap, but to be honest the tech guys were pretty good, they seemed to understand that the new modems were an issue and now that it's connected it's a solid connection at a fast speed.

TRUE is modifying the Firmware of the Modems they "sell"! That modification isn't possible to roll back! And many of the settings which need to be change to get the modems working as they should, can't be accesses. So that Modems from TRUE are truly very crab!

On a similar note, a while back after I switched to a new WiFi router/ADSL modem I was having hit-or-miss luck at connecting. After a downloading and flashing a firmware upgrade, everything was fixed. (This was for a ZyXel modem. I wonder if Jason could have had similar success with a firmware update?)

And, actually I wasn't anticipating a solution to my woes from the firmware update -- I had assumed I simply hadn't entered the correct parameters in the configuration software. I wanted to implement WPA2 security, and that necessitated flashing the firmware. Solving my connection problems was coincidental icing on the cake.

Of course, when I say "everything was fixed," that excludes periodic dramas such as we've had this past month with international internet access from Thailand.

FWIW I had a pretty bad experience with Billion - it was the cheapest DSL modem/router combo that TOT offered at the time so I got it. I had to reset this modem constantly to keep my DSL connection going. In addition, I had 3 (!) power adapters die on me, it was unbelievable. This despite the fact that I was running the modem off a UPS/Stabilizer.

After the 3rd power adapter had died I asked TOT to take the thing back. They replaced it with a Zyxel free of charge, and from then on I never had to reset the modem again.

I have the ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 ADSL router from True. I upgraded the firmware to the latest from the ZyXEL WEB site. The lastest version is 3.40(AHK.1)D0. If you decide to upgrade the ZyXEL make sure you use this version as it is specific to Thailand. I'm not sure if it really made any change from the original firmware but it didn't make anything worse. :o Also, the user guide on their WEB site is very useful.

For me, it is the inconsistant speeds that I get from True. Sometimes it can be very speedy but in the evening and at night, it gets rather slow.

I've never used what the Thai Tel-Co/ISP's have pushed in front of me Zexel and billion are crap.

Buy your own Modem/router/wireless gateway, you'll be more happy. Try to stick with Linksys or 3Com. Next choices SMC or D-Link.

I'm using a 3Com office connect and it's got more power and range then anything they'll try to sell you.

http://www.3com.com/other/pdfs/products/en...3Com_400979.pdf

I have the ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 ADSL router from True. I upgraded the firmware to the latest from the ZyXEL WEB site. The lastest version is 3.40(AHK.1)D0. If you decide to upgrade the ZyXEL make sure you use this version as it is specific to Thailand. I'm not sure if it really made any change from the original firmware but it didn't make anything worse. :o Also, the user guide on their WEB site is very useful.

My ZyXel modem/router says "Prestige 660/HW-61" on the sticker on the bottom. At first I thought maybe yours was the same model, with the T meaning "True" branded, but boy there are a lot of variations of the Prestige 660/HW- series on the ZyXel site for firmware downloads: -61, -63, -67, -T1, -T1 v2, -D2, etc.)

I'm curious where you found the 3.40(AHK.1)D0 firmware for your model, as the page I'm looking at:

http://www.zyxel.com/web/support_download_...420060816160116

shows 3.40(ACI.7)C0 dated 11-10-2006 for P-660HW-T1, and 3.40(APR.1)C0 dated 04-26-2007 for P-660HW-T1 v2. While neither of them are appropriate for my model, I'm wondering if there is a Thailand-specific firmware and/or a more current firmware update than listed on that xyxel.com page for my model.

I found the firmware for the P-660HW-T1 model at http://www.zyxel.com/web/support_download_...l.php?sqno=1610

There is even a description that states "Description : For Thailand True". So it appears there is specific firmware. I wouldn't say that other firmware wouldn't work, but who knows. It might work but there could be issues.

For your modem P-660HW-61, I could find Version : 3.40(PE.11)C0 at http://www.zyxel.com/web/support_download_...il.php?sqno=857

I am not sure what firmware version you are currently running. You should be able to locate that in the Admin WEB pages when you connect to your modem. You might want to compare the current version and see if it similar. Before upgrading, you should check the release notes to see if your current firmware version is listed. If it is not listed in the release notes, you might not want to upgrade since it might not be the same software. Also, the release notes will let you know what bug fixes/enhancements are in the current version.

Other than what is on the ZyXEL WEB site, I don't know of any newer versions of firmware.

As with all things, the brand is not equal to the product. I've had bad modems/routers from 3Com, Zyxel, Cisco, D-link, etc. etc. You name the brand, and I've had problems with it at one time or another. About the only thing I would recommend regarding brands is that if you use a lot of networking products, get the same brand (switches, modems, routers, etc).

But as for a modem/router being the culprit of a bad ADSL connection, that's never happened. It's always been the line or the ISP.

Currently using a D-link.