Islamic/arabic International Schools

mohamedaa

You may be able to get some recommendations from the staff of the Muslim Studies Center at the Institute of Asian Studies at Chulalongkorn University.

Institute of Asian Studies, Chulalongkorn University

7th Floor, Prachadhipok-Rambhai Barni, Phyathai Road, Patumwan, Bangkok 10330, THAILAND

Tel: 662-218-7464, 662-251-5199 Fax: 662-255-1124

E-mail: [email protected] URL: http://www.ias.chula.ac.th

The only one that I know of is near the new airport and should be avoided like the plague. (Check out teflwatch. org when you get names of schools to get an idea of how schools are run. The place that I am referring to has a long thread about it there.) Generally, the Bang Na area and Southwest area of Bangkok tends to have the highest concentration of Muslims and you may find another alternative offered there.

Even in Kuala Lumpur, I spoke with Muslim families that wanted an Islamic international school education for their children and they said that it was lacking in Malaysia as well. I know that they do have many Islamic schools there but not international curriculum ones.

Many parents here choose a compromise route because they cannot find what they are looking for in a school. You may find an international school without a religious affiliation and send the kids to Islamic education on weekends. (Many Chinese children go to international school and Chinese schools on the weekends.) Many Thai schools that aren't Buddhist per se, do have religious ceremonies at school or morning prayers so ask about that if you are trying to avoid it. Some schools that are Christian or Buddhist leaning do make allowances for Muslim children, mostly in the form of excusing them from religious instruction and prayers and being flexible about Muslim holidays and uniforms.

I don't know any international schools per se, but there is the Islamic College of Thailand on Pracha Uthit Road. It's a Thai school (quite large). They may be a place to contact about your situation. I get the impression it's a pretty good school.

Where I work, which is a bilingual school, we have a number of Muslim children. They do not participate in the varied Christian/Buddhist activities, including the morning prayer (they simply stand there). There is also alternative food choices for Muslim students when 'unclean' food is served. We have a number of Muslim teachers who work for us as well.

Best of luck, and post it if you find someplace good as this does come up occasionally.