Any Tips For 30 Yo First Timers In Thailand?

Happyout

Hi All,

I have been reading through previous threads and whilst my enthusiasm is ever increasing I starting to scratch my head trying to formulate a plan. I am wondering there fore if anyone has any tips. I am travelling with my girlfriend; both of us are around 30 years old and have never been to ASIA before. We will arrive in Bangkok mid afternoon to start a 3 week holiday commencing mid December. Ideally we want to get out of the city ASAP to somewhere we can chill and take in the environment (ideally a quiet beach with funny coloured drinks in funny shaped glasses) before we get stuck into the more adventurous part of our short trip. Please note neither of us have had a sunny chilled holiday in over 6 years...

I have so may questions including:

Where to go first to relax?

How do prices for accommodation work, is it per room or per person sharing?

Does one need to book accommodation ahead or is it possible to move around on a whim?

Is there anything to be concerned about regarding the comfort\safety of my partner?

Any assistance, do and don'ts are much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Hopeful traveller!

Hi All,

I have been reading through previous threads and whilst my enthusiasm is ever increasing I starting to scratch my head trying to formulate a plan. I am wondering there fore if anyone has any tips. I am travelling with my girlfriend; both of us are around 30 years old and have never been to ASIA before. We will arrive in Bangkok mid afternoon to start a 3 week holiday commencing mid December. Ideally we want to get out of the city ASAP to somewhere we can chill and take in the environment (ideally a quiet beach with funny coloured drinks in funny shaped glasses) before we get stuck into the more adventurous part of our short trip. Please note neither of us have had a sunny chilled holiday in over 6 years...

Does one need to book accommodation ahead or is it possible to move around on a whim?

Is there anything to be concerned about regarding the comfort\safety of my partner?

Many thanks,

Hopeful traveller!

My suggestion is:

1. Arrange private transportation/taxi/minibus upon arrival (lots of people here will be able to help you with that) and head straight for:

2. Koh Samet Island: :o No traffic, powder white beaches and lots of bungalows; barefoot dining on the beach with the waves 5 feet away.... if you arrive mid december PRE-BOOK !!

http://www.google.com/custom?domains=thaiv...0D%0A&hl=en

3. pre-buy some Thailand books and read them for a week and than...........

decide for yourselves. But, be aware that you are in the high season, so ask help for further bookings as the best places around the beachy areas (in other parts of Thailand) might be rather full.

Koh Samet maps:

http://images.google.nl/images?q=koh%20sam...sa=N&tab=wi

Koh Samet Images:

http://images.google.nl/images?um=1&hl...G=Search+Images

Have fun and enjoy yourselves.

PS: If you wish, I have a phone number of a guy who can pick you up with a speed boat on the pier, opposite Koh Samet; 10 minutes and you're on the beach. :D

PM me if you wish.

Edit:

Don't worry about your Lady partner; if you stay with her nothing will happen; you'll find out within a day. There are many tourists, so no worry.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Hi All,

Many thanks,

Hopeful traveller![/quote

Have a look here

Edited by Lite Beer

Mid December is high season here in Thailand and you might find that you are not alone on the beach(es).

The closest place from Bangkok Airport (Suvarnaphum) is probably Pattaya (about 2 hours drive) and there is always a lot of activity going on. There is even a beach, but IMO the ocean is not as clean as I would wish it to be.

The really nice, blue to emerald green ocean is on the other side, i.e. on the Andaman Sea. Try Phuket (1 hour flight) or Kao Lak (North of Phuket, but on the main land), or Krabi.

Since it is high season, reservation is recommended but you might as well just walk in and ask for a room. Rooms are usually charged per room (not per person).

There are so many places all around Thailand, some more developed for tourists, some less. Depends what you like. You might want to read a book about Thailand, such as "The Culture Shock" for some tips and Dos and Donts.

Have fun!

Great, great advice from Laopo.

Since you are bringing your girlfriend with you, I would definately stay AWAY from Pattaya. It's more of a "singles" hangout and really the beaches are not as nice as elsewhere. If you get more replies to your request, you will probably get same advice.

As said, it will be high season here in Thailand, and is recommended that you book in advance. Just pay for 2or3 days ahead and if you want to change after being here a couple days, you can - that is if you can find something else acceptable.

Book as early as possible. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Hi All,

Many thanks,

Hopeful traveller!

Your girlfriend should be fine, as long as you're together.

Prices are per room, up to 2/3 people, I think. Maybe more for extra people.

For more upscale accomodation ,you can probably book online, for cheaper one, turn up and go.

As someone suggested, maybe book the first few nights, and then look around once you're there?

I've been to Ko Pan Gnan, Ko Tao and Ko Samet. Of these three, I'd say Ko Tao was the most breathtaking and enjoyable. You could scuba, rent sea kayaks and snorkels, and otherwise just chill out. Where I was had a crappy beach though, even if everything was great once you were in the water.

Ko Pan Gnan is more like a backpacker party island, that's where the full moon party is. Nice beaches, not too expensive, but it also has a slightly seedy feel sometimes that I personally didn't like. But it's a big island, and I didn't see all of it -- I'm sure there are some great parts of it too. :-)

You could get to KPG, KT either by train then ferry, but I think the trains might be on strike right now. Or you could fly into Samui, if it's not still flooded, and ferry from there, probably.

Ko Samet has the advantage of being close to BKK (maybe 1-2 hours by bus?), and it's definitely one of those flop on the beach, flop in your bungalow, sit on the beach eating seafood, then get really drunk at night places. It's not as beautiful as the other two above (and Phuket, etc are supposed to be even more beautiful still). You can still have a good time there, but IMHO, Ko Samet is more for people who are living in BKK and want to get away for a quick weekend, then back to BKK, than somewhere that is worth coming half-way across the world for.

I think Lonely Planet has a good description of the different islands and what is good about each one. Their actual listings of good restaurants/hotels are often out of date, but their "Phuket is good for divers" type advice is usually true.

Have a great vacation!

Edited by seonai

Ideally we want to get out of the city ASAP to somewhere we can chill and take in the environment

The city is actually a great place, particularly if you want to take in the Environment, however if that is not what you are looking for, then as someone has already suggested, landing at Suv you have no need to even set foot in the Environs, head straight out for Pattaya or Rayong, Hat Mae Rampheung is a long very quiet beach, although I feel you might find funny shaped glasses a hard thing to find. Then on to Samet, a lovely place.

Per Room for two, a third can have a bed put in for a discounted rate usually.

Depends on the place, Samet will need pre-booking at your time, however HMRPheung may not, a nice little basic place called Rayong Beach Condotel Hotel, suits just fine, a couple of sisters running a beach stretch just across from the Hotel, for fresh sea food, mountain or beach views and ten minutes from Ban Phe for the trip across to Samet.

If she is blonde she might get stared at a little more than is usual, but if you both take no notice then it will not get out of hand, just take it in your stride.

I haven't read the other links but I am sure they have plenty of good tips, one good bit of advice for her comfort is to take the middle out of a Loo roll and handily put in her Hand Bag, she might find the Asian Splash method a little disconcerting :o

* Flames deleted * :D

Just wondering how this innocuous thread could get into a flame fest, dam should have got here earlier :D

Moss

That went a bit wrong.

Look Here

SPAM :o

:D I am sorry for giving the op a web site that will help him.

We really do not need people like you on this forum.

Posting links is against forum rules, so they tell me. Mostly though I don't support advertising other web sites here, it's not what TV is for.

Hi All,

Many thanks,

Hopeful traveller!

Here are 20 things to think about when visiting Thailand…

1. Bring a cell phone “unblocked” and buy a Thai SIM card for it on arrival, they’re cheap (apprx. 250 baht) and include some credit already on them - e.g. - International calls to UK are about 5 - 8baht per min…

2. Money - Bring ATM and/or credit cards. - check fees and tell your bank your are going abroad. - Take Travellers cheques only as back-up. Bring very little cash (Baht) – you tend to get a better rate of exchange here than any home country. Just enough to get you out of the airport.

3. Bring very few clothes – they are so cheap here and you’ll only bring stuff that is too warm anyway.

4. Very little luggage – this makes you more mobile if you need to be and less vulnerable to taxi touts and undesirable men….Before you go home you can buy any extra luggage (cheap) to take souvenirs etc.

5. Internet access is everywhere – even on the beach… you can get all your photos copied to CD - If you have a lap-top you can connect it (broadband) at most cafes.

6. Food - Thai food is very unlikely to give you food poisoning but can contain more chillies than you ever thought possible….Street food is usually safe (and delicious!), check for numbers of customers and general looks of the stall. Western (“farang”) food is much more likely to give you food poisoning – fridges are not part of Thai cooking lore yet…beware of Western Fast Food outlets and hotel buffets - food that has been out for over an hour or so. Thailand is not used to fridges/chill-serve etc.

7. Always carry a pack of tissues - they don’t supply free tissues(if there is one!)

8. Drink bottled water - not tap water. Even consider not brushing your teeth with tap water. Ice is usually safe in drinks and for anything else.

9. Use common safety sense – it is easy to relax too much here…when it comes to petty crime the rate is certainly lower than in places like the US/Europe etc…but every country has its share of con-men and psychopaths…..

10. Don’t be afraid to go to Pattaya – it is the sex capital of Thailand but they don’t jump out at single women and couples and it has good, cheap hotels, shopping and food. Not a bad place to start off for Koh Chang, Koh Samet or Cambodia.

11. Bring an international driving licence – although most national ones are accepted by motorbike and car hire companies and anyone else who wants to hire you something….you may not be insured without an IDL! In Thailand they drive on the left - cars are Right-hand-drive. However driving is really only for the experienced. Be especially careful on a motorbike - Samui has the highest accident rate in Thailand.

12. Public transport is cheap. Planes, Trains, Buses, Minibuses, Taxis, from town to town. If you’re in a minibus or taxi, tell the driver you’ll tip him if he keeps the speed below 90/100 kmph! National speed limit is 90kph (120 on motorways)

13. Around Bkk try to use meter taxis with the meter on...it’ll be cheaper than the tuk-tuks. Take a tuk-tuk once for the experience then use meter taxis. Don’t let the drivers take you out of your way...they’ll try to take you to some (relative’s) store where they get commission.

14. Medical - Check out a few “jabs & medications” – don’t bother with the malaria ones – too heavy! You can get tetanus or rabies here if you’re bitten by a dog - it’s cheap. Most medicines (including antibiotics) can be bought over the counter without prescription and are cheap. A pharmacist will give you what he considers right for your symptoms but you can just as easily see a doctor at a local clinic for a couple of hundred baht. They usually speak a little English.

15. Check up on Thai manners and customs – this will earn you more respect from the locals. - Keep up some dress sense – how you dress in Thailand is quite important. Don’t go topless without checking out if it’s acceptable where you are – usually it’s frowned upon. You’ll notice that Thai women (even sex workers) are very modest in public –they usually swim fully clothed.

16. Check out table manners – Thais tend to eat from communal dishes in the centre of the table – don’t pour everything onto your own plate!

17. Don’t knock the royal family – even in jest.

18. Body language - Don’t point your feet at people – the body is seen as hierarchical and the feet are the lowest part and should not be waved about (this is like a “fingers up” sign. Before entering someone’s home you must take off your shoes; this also applies to some shops and businesses. - Never take a shoe off and wave it at someone – this could lead to violence.

On the other hand it is impolite to touch people on the head.

19. It’s not necessary to “Wai” people - the Thai greeting - as you’ll probably get it wrong. If they Wai you, you might try a wai back.

20. Remember, this is the Land of Smiles and you will find everything goes much better when you have a smile on your face - whatever the situation….

Since you are bringing your girlfriend with you, I would definately stay AWAY from Pattaya. It's more of a "singles" hangout and really the beaches are not as nice as elsewhere. If you get more replies to your request, you will probably get same advice.

Great 'advice' Jimmy. I take it that is from your vast experience of Pattaya?

In the last few months I have had my brother over to stay, with his wife and 11 year old neice, and my parents who are 70 and 67 respectively. All of them had the time of their lives. Yes you can find sleaze if you want it, but that is the same in any Thai town/ resort.

If you actually spent any time in Pattaya you would see that there is a lot more to it.

Granted the beach is a bit crappy, but you dont have to go far (about 10 k's) North or South to find a good one.

To the OP, Pattaya bashing is a regular past time on this website, normally by expats who met their wives here and are now all bitter and twisted because they have to live in a shack in Esaarn (NE Thailand)

very good advice on this stream

i too would recommend koh samet for a few days to unwind

pattaya is brash but acceptable--- jomtien beach is best here

but book in advance if you go to samet--- i stay at samet at least

once a year for few days and its a little paradise

have a good time in LOS ( land of smiles)

i stay at malibu resort on samet and any good travel agent

will be able to book this for you

Mid December is high season here in Thailand and you might find that you are not alone on the beach(es).

The closest place from Bangkok Airport (Suvarnaphum) is probably Pattaya (about 2 hours drive) and there is always a lot of activity going on. There is even a beach, but IMO the ocean is not as clean as I would wish it to be.

The really nice, blue to emerald green ocean is on the other side, i.e. on the Andaman Sea. Try Phuket (1 hour flight) or Kao Lak (North of Phuket, but on the main land), or Krabi.

Since it is high season, reservation is recommended but you might as well just walk in and ask for a room. Rooms are usually charged per room (not per person).

There are so many places all around Thailand, some more developed for tourists, some less. Depends what you like. You might want to read a book about Thailand, such as "The Culture Shock" for some tips and Dos and Donts.

Have fun!

jesus why would you send a newbee to the wolves in paattaya??LOl

stay the hel_l out of that hole unless you justt one more perv that cant get laid wherever you come from LOl

Hi All,

Many thanks,

Hopeful traveller!

I think you`re not enjoy this holiday, because the last I heard is that Thailand has sold out of, funny coloured drinks in funny shaped glasses.

Pattaya is very urban but not nearly as bad as the "Pattaya Delenda est" brigade would have you believe

...but the islands along the coast (Samet, Chang archipelago or even Koh Larn or Koh Sichang)) are quieter though spoiled by uncontrolled development...but that is true of everywhere in Thailand......

time to roll out the Pattaya review....

Here are a few thoughts on Pattaya for those who can’t make up their mind, or are worried about the sex industry and what it’s like for single women, couples, children etc,

Pattaya is a cheap and in general cheerful town On the Eastern seaboard of Thailand, the climate is great, the cost of living cheap..... The image most people have of a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah is really a result of careless and sensationalist reporting by various media around the world. It is true that there are many middle-aged men who have found they can afford to retire here often with a wife or girlfriend half their age...who are we to judge? - ...but it is also a fun holiday resort and great value for money.

There is also a lot to do if you are a family on holiday.

Visually, the beaches in Pattaya are not up to much compared to elsewhere in Thailand; it’s a very urban environment...rows of umbrellas and deck-chairs. Although people do swim, the sea is rather polluted…how much is unclear….they claim to have cleaned up the water a lot in the last few years and have marked of areas for swimmers. Neighbouring Jomtien beach about a 15 min “bus” ride away looks to be more swimmer-friendly but there is the occasional bout of untreated sewerage there from time to time. (This IS Thailand!). Cosy beach and Sugar beach between Pattaya and Jomtien offer less crowded or urban alternatives. Bear in mind that what is done to monitor pollution on any of the beaches throughout Thailand is not clear. Inevitably, ALL the main holiday beaches in Thailand are subject to pollution from time to time depending on season wind and tides.

All the same many people enjoy the beaches in and around Pattaya....At both Pattaya and Jomtien beaches you can hire all sorts of water sports stuff, and it’s all pretty cheap. All beaches have plenty of people selling drinks and snacks etc....have a fresh coconut and drink the liquid inside through a straw....very refreshing!

Off shore there are one or two islands with much nicer beaches, they are easily accessible for a day trip. If you go to Koh Laan, the main beach is really just a row of restaurants etc., but, it’s well worth hiring a moped and driving over to the other side of the island.....views from the top are great and there are some very quiet beaches there. Or simply walk along the coast for a bit to get away from the crowds.

Further down the coast towards Sattahip there are some quite reasonable beaches, Ban Sare or Ban Amphoe for example.

On the mainland, Pattaya offers a range of amusement parks, gardens, and theme parks and various sports.

There are numerous good quality golf courses, horse riding and motor sports, both karting and a car racing circuit. There are some small airfields nearby for fans of light aircraft too.

Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens although recently scandalised by the Beeb for their treatment of Elephants is worth a visit, just don’t support the Elephant rides. Elephant village is similarly not to be supported. Pattaya Park is a Water World amusement park that offers all the usual water rides plus a revolving restaurant and some hair-rising ways of getting up there and back down. Mini Siam is a miniature tour of Thailand - full of bus-loads of tourists with a MacDonald’s’ at the entrance. Million year old stone park has beautiful gardens - feed the 5ft long catfish! And cringe at the abysmal treatment of tigers and crocodiles. Further a field is Sri Racha tiger Zoo...to be avoided at all costs, and Kao Keow Open Zoo, a refreshing change from the usual callous way animals are treated in Thailand. There is also the “Water World” Aquarium on Sukumvit Rd. Any hotel or travel shop will arrange to take you there. For kids and the easily pleased, there’s also Ripley’s Believe It Or Not and Toys R us!

The Sanctuary of Truth is a rather unexpected attraction given the nature and reputation of Pattaya as a holiday destination. Built by a wealthy business family to celebrate the religions of the world in is an enormous hand-carved wooden building built on a small promontory at Naklua the Northern end of Pattaya.

You’ll need a Sawngthaew or Motorcycle taxi to get there and it is rather dear to get in....current price unknown.

Work on the building seems to be continually in progress, and provides employment for many artisans and craftsmen from all over the country.

A walk around the site you’ll see carvers at work, inside the building are signs explaining each section of the building, and just marvel at the wonderful carving.

The building itself is amazing but there are also some peripheral attractions that don’t seem so wonderful. One can rent a horse to ride around the site. At the time your correspondent was there one of the animals had got out of control and was being chased around the site by clearly untrained staff.

Another “attraction is the dolphin show. Here a small species of Dolphins -are put through there paces in a muddy pond, balancing balls and splashing the audience....it’s all rather embarrassing really.

However, all in all despite the rather second rate other attractions the site is well worth a visit.

Pattaya offers some of the best shopping outside Bangkok, and it is actually more accessible being sited in a much smaller area. Along the beach stalls shops and arcades offer all the usual souvenir stuff and some things that might cause a few raised eyebrows.... (A Samurai Sword or replica gun?!?!). Lots of ersatz stuff and big brand copies, CDs and DVDs for 150 baht, computer programs.....

The malls (Check out “MIKE’S” & “ROYAL GARDEN PLAZA” - accessible from Beach Rd or Second Rd) offer more quality goods still at great prices. Royal garden has a good eatery on the top floor and Mikes has a public swimming pool on the roof!

Other Malls around town include “Big C” on 2nd road, Tesco’s on Pattaya North (Nua), and Carrefour on Pattaya Central (Klang). All these have a range of other shops and restaurants all under one air-conditioned roof. Tesco and Big C also have stores on Sukumvit Rd - the main road from Bangkok.

Eating out in Pattaya & Jomtien is a treat! There’s everything form every country and it’s all cheap! Even the up=market stuff is half what you’d pay in Europe. You can eat US, French, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Full English Breakfast, Italian, Belgian, Dutch, German.......what am I doing? The list is endless.

BUT

There’s one I’ve missed out....THAI food! Thai food is wonderful.....everything from mild Chinese based noodles to hot and spicy Issan food....seafood, barbeque, Tom Yam soups...try it...you’ll love it.....if you want to spend a bit of Money try Ruen Thai on 2nd road or Sugar Hut on Thap Phraya Rd, the hill between Jomtien and Pattaya. Ruen Thai has great food from the all regions of Thailand and puts on an ethnic floor show music, dance or even demonstration Thai boxing! Sugar Hut is in fact a very beautiful resort, the restaurant is in a traditional Thai style wooden house. The atmosphere is amazing.... you remove your shoes on entering the dining area and the seating is either traditional low or for those of us who are less flexible there are “normal” height chairs and tables. Everything is teak and silk....just a pity the menu is so badly written and the food is a little on the bland side, but for a one off evening out it’s a must.

At the other end of the price range there are the small Thai restaurants and street stalls dotted all over town....many won’t have a menu in English so just walk in, sit down and look hungry.....let them bring you something and try and guess what it is you’re eating....for (a lot) less than $5 for 2 you can’t go wrong. A bowl of street noodles can be as little as 15 baht.

Just one phrase you might find useful....”Mai Pet” (one for the Geordies!) - this means “not hot”...it won’t mean no chillies but it might bring it down to a level where you can just about eat it! - “Mai Prik” is NO chillies at all.

And for the mindless, bootless and unhorsed, the culturally stagnant and the grossly obese, there is the usual plethora of fast food outlets....McD’s, KFC, and Burger King....how can people eat that stuff!?!?!? And WHY when you are in a land of gastronomic delights, would you? (My comfort food of choice is a big plate of liver and onions - mmmmmmm!)

The night life in Pattaya is legendary....although now the bars officially close at 1.00pm; this does not stop some places from turning music down and carrying on till the early hours of daylight.

There are discos, clubs bars of sorts including the girlie places....

The sex trade ripples through the town like veins through a stilton, and in a similar way gives the place its distinctive character. Unlike the red-light areas of Europe and America, they aren’t really sleazy; mainly it consists of small open bars where (middle-aged) men sit drinking beer and talking to the “bar-girls”. If a tryst is arranged it will take place I one of the hundreds of hotels. There is very little open display of lewdness as this is not approved of in Thailand. The “Go-go Bars” are behind closed doors and have naked or semi naked girls pole dancing or rather holding a pole and swaying to music. You and your family would not be admitted to a Go-go bar. If you went to an open beer bar you would be treated as a perfectly ordinary customer and the girls would dote on your children. (They are mostly mothers themselves). ..............and as for the “seediness” how many men do you know go to Hamburg or Amsterdam and find a wife?

For something a little more “wholesome” - on 2nd road spend an hour or so at the Malibu Bar....it’s a girl and lady-man show....a low budget affair, they make their own elaborate costumes and mime to well-known western songs. Every night they tread the boards from 8 till about 12.00 midnight...sometimes poor and amateurish but always entertaining...DO NOT miss Tina Turner! This guy is actually quite professional and very good indeed. He does a couple of performances every night and the place fills just to what his act. Unfortunately sometimes he has to take time off (twice a night, 7 days a week, year in year out - who wouldn’t?!?) and the act is performed by a less talented stand-in. All -in- all a great friendly atmosphere, lots of couples and even kids - and no smut!!!!....no admission charge, and they do food.

If you are finding the heat a bit too much there are plenty of enclosed air-conditioned bars with a western theme, be they Irish, English, Belgian or whatever. Here you can eat “comfort food” and watch replays of your favourite old TV shows and live football.

If you’re tired out by all this...get a massage. Make sure it’s actually a massage establishment and not a “gentleman’s relaxation” facility! There are plenty of small boutiques you can go in and get a 1or 2 hour leg rub for about 200 to 400 baht and some beautiful Spas that will pamper you for the best part of a day for a few grand.

Pattaya remains one of the few seaside towns where anyone can do what they’ve always dreamed of.... But at half the price!

Edited by wilko

Hi All,

Many thanks,

Hopeful traveller!

My favorite 'first stop' in Thailand is Bang Saen, a beach between BKK and Pattaya. Mostly Thais on holiday there, but with some basic 'combat Thai' or a phrasebook handy it shouldn't be a challenge communicating (any more so than conversations with a Thai typically are at least). There isn't much English spoken here though as there are not many foreign tourists and most there are with Thai friends or family.

Several basic hotels on the first Soi in the 200-400 baht range or some nicer Western style hotels that could set you back 3-4k baht a night and plenty of choices in between. Beautiful beach, sand out to at least 100m or so, great seafood and drinks on the cheap, and very laid back. I booked hotels ahead my first trip to Thailand, but never have since. Now with a Thai wife, it's unheard of.

Comfort/safety-wise while in Thailand, typical precautions such as staying alert to your surroundings, but other than some petty crime and tourist scams/touts not much to worry about. Keep your cool and smile a lot, shouldn't have any issues.

wilko your 20 points and further info on the non sexual side of pattaya are spot on. Nice to see a little accuracy on the board for a change.

Only thing being the OP never mentioned any kids in tow, so they would be most welcome in a go go bar. Many respectable tourists like to look, purely the novelty factor.

How many guys visting Pattaya see the Temple of Truth?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

Many thanks,

Hopeful traveller!

Here are 20 things to think about when visiting Thailand…

1. Bring a cell phone “unblocked” and buy a Thai SIM card for it on arrival, they’re cheap (apprx. 250 baht) and include some credit already on them - e.g. - International calls to UK are about 5 - 8baht per min…

2. Money - Bring ATM and/or credit cards. - check fees and tell your bank your are going abroad. - Take Travellers cheques only as back-up. Bring very little cash (Baht) – you tend to get a better rate of exchange here than any home country. Just enough to get you out of the airport.

3. Bring very few clothes – they are so cheap here and you’ll only bring stuff that is too warm anyway.

4. Very little luggage – this makes you more mobile if you need to be and less vulnerable to taxi touts and undesirable men….Before you go home you can buy any extra luggage (cheap) to take souvenirs etc.

5. Internet access is everywhere – even on the beach… you can get all your photos copied to CD - If you have a lap-top you can connect it (broadband) at most cafes.

6. Food - Thai food is very unlikely to give you food poisoning but can contain more chillies than you ever thought possible….Street food is usually safe (and delicious!), check for numbers of customers and general looks of the stall. Western (“farang”) food is much more likely to give you food poisoning – fridges are not part of Thai cooking lore yet…beware of Western Fast Food outlets and hotel buffets - food that has been out for over an hour or so. Thailand is not used to fridges/chill-serve etc.

7. Always carry a pack of tissues - they don’t supply free tissues(if there is one!)

8. Drink bottled water - not tap water. Even consider not brushing your teeth with tap water. Ice is usually safe in drinks and for anything else.

9. Use common safety sense – it is easy to relax too much here…when it comes to petty crime the rate is certainly lower than in places like the US/Europe etc…but every country has its share of con-men and psychopaths…..

10. Don’t be afraid to go to Pattaya – it is the sex capital of Thailand but they don’t jump out at single women and couples and it has good, cheap hotels, shopping and food. Not a bad place to start off for Koh Chang, Koh Samet or Cambodia.

11. Bring an international driving licence – although most national ones are accepted by motorbike and car hire companies and anyone else who wants to hire you something….you may not be insured without an IDL! In Thailand they drive on the left - cars are Right-hand-drive. However driving is really only for the experienced. Be especially careful on a motorbike - Samui has the highest accident rate in Thailand.

12. Public transport is cheap. Planes, Trains, Buses, Minibuses, Taxis, from town to town. If you’re in a minibus or taxi, tell the driver you’ll tip him if he keeps the speed below 90/100 kmph! National speed limit is 90kph (120 on motorways)

13. Around Bkk try to use meter taxis with the meter on...it’ll be cheaper than the tuk-tuks. Take a tuk-tuk once for the experience then use meter taxis. Don’t let the drivers take you out of your way...they’ll try to take you to some (relative’s) store where they get commission.

14. Medical - Check out a few “jabs & medications” – don’t bother with the malaria ones – too heavy! You can get tetanus or rabies here if you’re bitten by a dog - it’s cheap. Most medicines (including antibiotics) can be bought over the counter without prescription and are cheap. A pharmacist will give you what he considers right for your symptoms but you can just as easily see a doctor at a local clinic for a couple of hundred baht. They usually speak a little English.

15. Check up on Thai manners and customs – this will earn you more respect from the locals. - Keep up some dress sense – how you dress in Thailand is quite important. Don’t go topless without checking out if it’s acceptable where you are – usually it’s frowned upon. You’ll notice that Thai women (even sex workers) are very modest in public –they usually swim fully clothed.

16. Check out table manners – Thais tend to eat from communal dishes in the centre of the table – don’t pour everything onto your own plate!

17. Don’t knock the royal family – even in jest.

18. Body language - Don’t point your feet at people – the body is seen as hierarchical and the feet are the lowest part and should not be waved about (this is like a “fingers up” sign. Before entering someone’s home you must take off your shoes; this also applies to some shops and businesses. - Never take a shoe off and wave it at someone – this could lead to violence.

On the other hand it is impolite to touch people on the head.

19. It’s not necessary to “Wai” people - the Thai greeting - as you’ll probably get it wrong. If they Wai you, you might try a wai back.

20. Remember, this is the Land of Smiles and you will find everything goes much better when you have a smile on your face - whatever the situation….

Excellent post!

Follow that advice and you won't go wrong at all!

Re the ATM v TCs. Wouldn't they get a better exchange with travellers cheques. Plus rather than buying any cash in their home country, why not just draw some when the get to the airport in Bangkok?

It depends on the bank concerned. If you open a Nationwide Flex account in the UK, they don't charge an ATM fee, they don't charge a foriegn transaction fee, they don't charge a comission, and the exchange rate you receive is as good as you'll find anywhere else

Of course, the main benefit is one of convenience - you can find an ATM most places in Thailand...