Pirate Windows 2000?

tgeezer

Is it likely that a computer bought about three years ago from The Mall has an unregisterable programme loaded? The owner is reluctant to 'Tell Microsoft about this prob." when the window appears and 'trots' it off to the shop for fixing once or twice a year. How can I help to make this computer as simple to use as mine in UK? I don't think a 'computer illiterate' should be trying to operate outside the system in this way, if you agree, have you any arguments that might help me convince the owner?

Is it likely that a computer bought about three years ago from The Mall has an unregisterable programme loaded? The owner is reluctant to 'Tell Microsoft about this prob." when the window appears and 'trots' it off to the shop for fixing once or twice a year. How can I help to make this computer as simple to use as mine in UK? I don't think a 'computer illiterate' should be trying to operate outside the system in this way, if you agree, have you any arguments that might help me convince the owner?

It's very likely a bogus copy, but to be honest there's not much that it will affect on Windows 2000. He'll still get security updates and the advantages to having a genuine copy are few in Win2000. Still, I would advise him to be more careful with his next purchase. Legit copies of XP or Vista should be obtained from a shop certified by Microsoft and listed here:

http://www.microsoft.com/thailand/cleanshop/

Always get an itemized receipt so that you have recourse later if someone slips you a fake copy. if possible, have them activate and validate the copy of Windows from their shop before you hand over the cash.

If you really want free OS and software use linux, if you need windows pay for it.

I thought I should get something like this most of these sites are so insular, sorry to trespass on your private party, you couldn't resist putting in a code word like 'linex' could you?

It's very likely a bogus copy, but to be honest there's not much that it will affect on Windows 2000. He'll still get security updates and the advantages to having a genuine copy are few in Win2000. Still, I would advise him to be more careful with his next purchase. Legit copies of XP or Vista should be obtained from a shop certified by Microsoft and listed here:

http://www.microsoft.com/thailand/cleanshop/

Always get an itemized receipt so that you have recourse later if someone slips you a fake copy. if possible, have them activate and validate the copy of Windows from their shop before you hand over the cash.

Thank you your reply. I have looked at the computer details and the programme is XP Pro(Thais always buy pro if they have a choice, I think it is a translation problem) version 2002 Service pack 2, registered to (two letters here) and a twenty numbers. does that tell you anything? If not the latest lack of response in that, Yahoo mail is not available, coincides with a request to update ND32 should I do that? One more thing. I would buy a legitimate copy, are they available 'off the shelf' at the shops in your link?

Edited by tgeezer

Yes, you can get Vista, and for a short time anyways, you should be able to get XP as well (Don't worry about Pro). First check to see if it's a copy or not by going here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

Updating NOD32? Definitely. It's your best defence against viruses.

I wouldn't get Vista unless it's a very powerful machine, so don't let them talk you into buying it. :o

I wouldn't get Vista unless it's a very powerful machine, so don't let them talk you into buying it. :o

The machine was bought 3 years ago. Too old to run Vista properly.

Does an unregistered copy of XP stop working? I thought it just keeps popping up a dialog nagging the user about it but otherwise works OK...

Thais always buy pro if they have a choice, I think it is a translation problem

It's not a translation problem. And the correct wording should be "Thais always STEAL pro".

The easiest way to get all the updates is to buy new "Panthip XP Pro" cds every couple of months.

Or you can learn how to download these cracked XP versions off torrents. Once you installed your "original" Thai XP you'll keep all your Thai settings even if you download English only copies.

Another way is to dowload "autopatcher", it's an alternative Windows Update program, mainly for those with pirated copies.

Thais always buy pro if they have a choice, I think it is a translation problem

It's not a translation problem. And the correct wording should be "Thais always STEAL pro".

The easiest way to get all the updates is to buy new "Panthip XP Pro" cds every couple of months.

Or you can learn how to download these cracked XP versions off torrents. Once you installed your "original" Thai XP you'll keep all your Thai settings even if you download English only copies.

Another way is to dowload "autopatcher", it's an alternative Windows Update program, mainly for those with pirated copies.

Thank you one and all I will show the repies to the owner of the computer and hope that I don't get a flea in my ear for interfering, I think that I will find updates will now be taken at least.

If you really want free OS and software use linux, if you need windows pay for it.

I thought I should get something like this most of these sites are so insular, sorry to trespass on your private party, you couldn't resist putting in a code word like 'linex' could you?

No I could not, its legal and free.  Free is free windows is not. I did not mean to be insular and your not treapassing IMO.  Its just the way it is.  Sorry to offend you.

My experience is if you have a hooky copy of Windows nowadays it will validate your c opy of windows if you want to download an update from update site..if you do this and it knows you have a illegal copy it will eventually come to the point wher you will only be ble to see your desktop and nothing else the only workaround is to download the service pcks as standalone and install from your hard drive

My experience is if you have a hooky copy of Windows nowadays it will validate your c opy of windows if you want to download an update from update site..if you do this and it knows you have a illegal copy it will eventually come to the point wher you will only be ble to see your desktop and nothing else the only workaround is to download the service pcks as standalone and install from your hard drive

I was running on a hooky version of XP.....but only because the disk for the real version would not work....

When " Windows Genuine Advantage" appeared, telling me that i was a victim of software piracy...I contacted microshaft, only to be told to buy another genuine version..................this i ignored..........and a few days later.. the computer crashed....

I now use Ubuntu LInux on my laptop....and am very happy with it......and use XP on my desktop....mainly for video and photo editing and i NEVER go online using windoze............it allows too much crap to get on to the HD..............

No I could not, its legal and free. Free is free windows is not. I did not mean to be insular and your not treapassing IMO. Its just the way it is. Sorry to offend you.

And I should not have responded as I did, forgive me. Can Linux be used by someone who is illiterate in computer terms?