The Best Palce For...

filipef

I began travelling to Thailand in 1998, but it's been a while from the last time i was there, so my ideas can be wrong, also things may have changed. That's why i ask you for some information/advice:

1- Changing money

a) some people prefer carrying cash (in the old times, traveler checks), othere prefer debit cards. I think i'll carry most of the amount in cash, as european taxes for currency exchanging can be higher then what thai banks charge;

b ) In the times of the old airport, i used to exchange veru little money there, only enough for taxi and little more, as there were many banks (around sukhumvit plaza, or soi 7?, for instance) where a better deal could be found. Is that still this way? BTW, what is the rate for euro? Wich is the best site for checking rates?

2- Laundry

For the first trips, i used to carry a lot of clothing, but soon i changed my mind. But some hotels can be more expensive than outside ones.

For lower sukhumvit (where i intend to stay, when in BKK), what do you suggest?

3- Sneakers/tennis shoes

Last time i bought in Thailand (Nike, i think), it was in MBK, where i found a so-so price.Are there better places now?

4- Digital cameras

Is Pantip Plaza still the best place to look for them?

Thank you all in advance

Edited by filipef

Best rates for currency exchange is the money changer on the corner of suk soi 7/1 opposite the Subway sandwich outlet.

Thats in the building at the rear of the travel agency (closes 6pm?) and not the mobile bank exchange booth on wheels that pulls into the soi in the evenings.

Edited by guru

Best rates for currency exchange is ...

A money exchange office with a funny name "Super Rich", at the back of the Bangkok Bank branch located in between Big C and Pratunam, opposite Central World, 100 yards in a soi from the canal fly-over. Bring your passport.

SR also runs the branch at Sukh/7.

google for them, and you can find their site, must register first to get the rates. they offer MORE for 100 eur bills and higher.In fact thats even better as what Euro-banks will charge you for, incl their charges. last week I got EUR 49,4x100 for 100 EUR bills.

normal exchange rates easy found on bangkokbank. site- again, google.

what U say about the airpt/ld is still very much same-same, just the taxi fare will be higher. but 1000 THB is enough, will also cover a cheap HTL (20 eur)

SR also runs the branch at Sukh/7.

google for them, and you can find their site, must register first to get the rates. they offer MORE for 100 eur bills and higher.In fact thats even better as what Euro-banks will charge you for, incl their charges. last week I got EUR 49,4x100 for 100 EUR bills.

normal exchange rates easy found on bangkokbank. site- again, google.

what U say about the airpt/ld is still very much same-same, just the taxi fare will be higher. but 1000 THB is enough, will also cover a cheap HTL (20 eur)

Thanks!

So, better for me if i carry 100€ bills, right? Ok, i will.

Only one questions: what is HTL?

Best rates for currency exchange is the money changer on the corner of suk soi 7/1 opposite the Subway sandwich outlet.

Thats in the building at the rear of the travel agency (closes 6pm?) and not the mobile bank exchange booth on wheels that pulls into the soi in the evenings.

Name of the exchange is "Vasu" 02-253-1706-7.