Bread Mixes For Breadmaking Machines

SwaziBird

Next trip back to Oz, I want to return with my breadmaking machine. It's just a regular old counter-top baker but it turns out the greatest bread in the universe - if you can load it with a decent mix and yeast ( very readily and inexpensively available there in great variety). Anyone know whether such pre-mixes are available here in Chiang Mai ?

I know I could find all the separate ingredients and try concocting my own formula but the ready mix will usually be the best.

Will be glad of your advice.

Cheers.

Have looked in the Rimping and / or Kassems? I would expect them both to stock what you are after - if so is it worth a free loaf fresh from the machine with loads of butter dripping from it? Getting hungry just thinking about it :o

Edit - another thought ... I think I've seen bread making machines in Robinsons so you could ask them where to buy the kits.

Edited by SamSipEt

Have looked in the Rimping and / or Kassems? I would expect them both to stock what you are after - if so is it worth a free loaf fresh from the machine with loads of butter dripping from it? Getting hungry just thinking about it :o

Edit - another thought ... I think I've seen bread making machines in Robinsons so you could ask them where to buy the kits.

I wish you hadn't written "a fressh loaf ..with loads of butter dripping from it " - you're killing me !!!

I'm off to Robinsons. Don't think I'll be able to hang on until my return to Oz. Thanks pal.

Cheers

Rimping certainly do stock at least one bread mix (for hand or machine prep) - Hovis Granary. Unlike versions I bought in the UK, it contains its own yeast - i.e. you just add water; personally, I'd prefer to buy and add the yeast separately - but mai pen rai. From memory, the price was about 75 baht.

Rimping certainly do stock at least one bread mix (for hand or machine prep) - Hovis Granary. Unlike versions I bought in the UK, it contains its own yeast - i.e. you just add water; personally, I'd prefer to buy and add the yeast separately - but mai pen rai. From memory, the price was about 75 baht.

Thanks, Steve.

I just carried my bread-maker out from the UK last month, so will go and get the 'makings', and give it a go. :o

"From memory, the price was about 75 baht"

For less than that, one can buy a bread, that's already baken. So obviously it makes no sense to use the baking machines in Thailand.

That is true for a lot of food and drink - I can get a "on the street" Pad Thai version for 20b a plate, do the same thing at home for about 30b but with better ingredients, or go to a restaurant and pay 35-45baht.

There is something lovely about waking up to the smell of hot fresh bread - my machine gets set to finish about 20 minutes before I am due to wake up. The house smells wonderful and with big mug of tea, a slice of fresh bread it is a nice way to start the morning.

The substance that gets sold as commercial bread has been steamed not baked and has the semblence to bread that a Beano comic has to literature.

FYI there is a baking supplies place on the CM-Lamphun road before you get to the ring road. Near the Caltex service station. I am suprised RealThaiDeal hasn't already jumped into the thread with detailed microdescriptions of the different varieties of mulled grains and wheat hardness tests for determining whether the flour is better for bread (hard flour) or cakes/bisuits (soft). :o

CB

There is a commercial baking shop called Shmidt on the CM - Mer Rim Rd. that will sell you the mix. I prefer to do it myself, and brought a bread machine cookbook from Canada.

Can you be a bit more detailed in the description - CM to Mae Rim is a fair distance to look for a shop :o

CB

Ive baked my own bread on occassion here as the dough will prove easily under a tea towel on the table top outside.

Its not that difficult to knead and shape, just a little extra effort and throw in the oven.

smells wonderful and so good with plain butter.

Google "Bread Machine Recipes" and you will find a host of such. Just as easy as buying the ready mix, half the price, twice the enjoyment and a hundred times the variety.

I think your suggestion is a good one.

I want to try making some bread using a toaster oven, and according to Internet sources it's possible but a little tricky -- more likely to have better success with smaller items such as bread rolls. That makes sense to me.

I usually buy the multi-malt bread at Carrefour. I find it quite nice, but the price has risen from 60 baht a loaf to 80 over the past year. Getting a bit pricey IMHO, so I was hoping to find some interesting flour/grains to try some different bread recipes at home. All I've ever seen around Pattaya is regular white bread flour, and I was wondering if anybody knows where to find some more interesting types like rye or something suitable for multi-grain.

Rye and other grains are available aT Rimping - but very pricy!

Thanks -- good to know they're available.

I assume Rimping is in CM (as this post is in the Chiang Mai forum section) -- Hopefully there's a similar type of store here in Patters.

I suspected that prices might be high for this kind of stuff, so paying 80 baht for a loaf of Carrefour's multi-malt might not seem so bad after all.

Rye and other grains are available aT Rimping - but very pricy!

Thanks -- good to know they're available.

I assume Rimping is in CM (as this post is in the Chiang Mai forum section) -- Hopefully there's a similar type of store here in Patters.

I suspected that prices might be high for this kind of stuff, so paying 80 baht for a loaf of Carrefour's multi-malt might not seem so bad after all.

Yes, the reference is to the Rimiping Supermarkets in Chiang Mai - you may try at Tops in Pattaya they tend to have similar food lines.

CB

For all those interested in buying a bread machine, I'm selling mine. It was used for less than a year. Here in Thailand I never used it even once. Only in this thread I've found out that one buy the mix here. But as I wrote before, I don't think it's worth the trouble.

I think 1000 B for the machine would be OK. Just PM me.

For less than that, one can buy a bread, that's already baken. So obviously it makes no sense to use the baking machines in Thailand.

"Obiously" :D ? Crow Boy already said most of what I would say in response to this - so I'll just add that being able to make your own bread a] is sanuk and b] gives you the chance to experiment with different mixes - e.g. add caraway, sesame seeds etc etc. Either one of those factors is enough to justify using the machine.......... I just wish I also had the western-style oven to bake hand-kneaded loaves. Not everything is about baht. :o

And for my two cents worth....Rimping sells the mixes for285Baht tremendously expensive for me. I thought I would bring a couple facts to the table. Love my bread machine as well but will learn to mix my own and will put in the machine and won't feel ripped off. will cost a FRACTION of 285B Good luck

And for my two cents worth....Rimping sells the mixes for285Baht tremendously expensive for me. I thought I would bring a couple facts to the table. Love my bread machine as well but will learn to mix my own and will put in the machine and won't feel ripped off. will cost a FRACTION of 285B Good luck

285 baht? I'm certainly not a buyer at that price................ however much variety and sanuk the process provides. I guess I was lucky with what I bought there before. DIY, here I come.

Where can I buy a bread machine in CM?

No luck at Robinsons

There is a commercial baking shop called Shmidt on the CM - Mer Rim Rd. that will sell you the mix. I prefer to do it myself, and brought a bread machine cookbook from Canada.

Apologies for the out of date information.

Next trip back to Oz, I want to return with my breadmaking machine. It's just a regular old counter-top baker but it turns out the greatest bread in the universe - if you can load it with a decent mix and yeast ( very readily and inexpensively available there in great variety). Anyone know whether such pre-mixes are available here in Chiang Mai ?

I know I could find all the separate ingredients and try concocting my own formula but the ready mix will usually be the best.

Will be glad of your advice.

Cheers.

p1p,

It looks as though it may be back to the drawing-board again for me. Your suggestion of Googling "bread machine mixes" looks like a winner.

Thanks everyone, for the disheartening news - but I'll keep trying and if I come across something good , I'll be happy to share it.

Cheers

Can you be a bit more detailed in the description - CM to Mae Rim is a fair distance to look for a shop :o

CB

On the right when heading towards Mae Rim, just past the canal Rd, where the military base begins.

Small white sign, and off the main Rd.

That is true for a lot of food and drink - I can get a "on the street" Pad Thai version for 20b a plate, do the same thing at home for about 30b but with better ingredients, or go to a restaurant and pay 35-45baht.

There is something lovely about waking up to the smell of hot fresh bread - my machine gets set to finish about 20 minutes before I am due to wake up. The house smells wonderful and with big mug of tea, a slice of fresh bread it is a nice way to start the morning.

The substance that gets sold as commercial bread has been steamed not baked and has the semblence to bread that a Beano comic has to literature.

FYI there is a baking supplies place on the CM-Lamphun road before you get to the ring road. Near the Caltex service station. I am suprised RealThaiDeal hasn't already jumped into the thread with detailed microdescriptions of the different varieties of mulled grains and wheat hardness tests for determining whether the flour is better for bread (hard flour) or cakes/bisuits (soft). :o

CB

The place referred to above (CM - Lamphun Road) I think it is called Bakers Mart and I doubt there is a better selection of baking stuff in all of the north. I think that they also have bread baking machines there as well (they seem to have pretty much everything else)

Edited by john b good

I brought some bread mix with me from Oz.

When it was all gone, (my Thai rellies loved it!) I went shopping ..

I found some yeast and flour at Big C in Nakhon Sawan.

The resulting bread looked OK, if a little pale in colour, but it had no taste at all

compared to the Aussie mix! Even melted butter would not bring it to life!

I guessed there must have been a large component of rice flour in that mix?

I had to bring a bread knife with me from Oz too.

That type of knife does not seem to exist here - only those Chinese chicken choppers

they seem to use for everything. Hardly suitable for springy fresh loaves.

I brought some bread mix with me from Oz.

When it was all gone, (my Thai rellies loved it!) I went shopping ..

I found some yeast and flour at Big C in Nakhon Sawan.

The resulting bread looked OK, if a little pale in colour, but it had no taste at all

compared to the Aussie mix! Even melted butter would not bring it to life!

I guessed there must have been a large component of rice flour in that mix?

I had to bring a bread knife with me from Oz too.

That type of knife does not seem to exist here - only those Chinese chicken choppers

they seem to use for everything. Hardly suitable for springy fresh loaves.

Index has a knife for every occasion at reasonable prices.

This is a bit odd but when it comes to slicing fresh/hot homemade bread, nothing beats a hacksaw blade. Sawing action is the trick and these work as well as anything I have tried over many decades. Knives specific for bread are fine when they are new but their serrated edges are difficult to sharpen unless you use one of those knife sharpeners that have interlocking hardened steel discs and draw the knife very slowly over them and in both directions.

Flours that are appropriate for bread-making are difficult to find here unless you can find fine western-style self-rising types or standard flours and a good quality packaged yeast. Even then and with a good quality bread machine, it takes time to get the amount of water you add to the mix exactly right and a mere teaspoon off can change the outcome and you end up with a brick or bread with more huge holes in it than cheap swiss cheese.

I don't care about the cost, I just wanna find something other than the lame/tasteless breads I find here.

Looking forward to more info...

This is a bit odd but when it comes to slicing fresh/hot homemade bread, nothing beats a hacksaw blade. Sawing action is the trick and these work as well as anything I have tried over many decades. Knives specific for bread are fine when they are new but their serrated edges are difficult to sharpen unless you use one of those knife sharpeners that have interlocking hardened steel discs and draw the knife very slowly over them and in both directions.

This is the sort of knife that siam-i-am meant:

post-36525-1195491263_thumb.jpg

They are readily available in western countries but because Thailand is not a "unsliced" bread sort of place these knives are hard to get here.

Flours that are appropriate for bread-making are difficult to find here unless you can find fine western-style self-rising types or standard flours and a good quality packaged yeast. Even then and with a good quality bread machine, it takes time to get the amount of water you add to the mix exactly right and a mere teaspoon off can change the outcome and you end up with a brick or bread with more huge holes in it than cheap swiss cheese.

Most flour sold here is the "soft" wheat sort which is suitable for cakes and bisuits but not bread. Bread uses yeast for it rise and needs a different type of wheat. I have found the Tip Top wholemeal and plain white flours the best combination. Do not buy the Self Raising sort that has a combination of cream of tartar and bicarb of soda. The packet is normally blue - self raising is red. Mix the wholemeal and plain to about 2/3 plain and 1/3 wholemeal. Adjust for taste but avoid making the wholemeal more than 50% or you will succeed in finding an organic replacement for lead.

My experimentation with the standard US flours is that they are very good for cake but useless for bread. I haven't tried the wholesale baking places recently but I did get a bag of good quality bread flour from the shop on the CM-Lampang Rd. Only problem was they wanted to sell me 5kg minimum. They know what they are talking about there so tell them you want BREAD flour. They also have packets of yeast - check the use by date because stale yeast will still work but takes longer to start. The way around this is to do a wet start (a small bottle with water and a teaspoon of sugar - do NOT cap the bottle) or put the bread mix on timer delay over night. The bread will have time to prove and the yeast will get a better chance to get going.

CB